“An experience you shouldn't miss”

Mount Washington Auto Road
Ranked #1 of 15 things to do in Gorham
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Since 1861, a spectacular, steep eight-mile scenic road that leads to the top of Mount Washington, the highest peak in the Northeast. Drive yourself or take a 2 hour guided tour in company vans. Mt. Washington State Park and the Mt Washington Observatory are at the summit.
Monroe, Connecticut
88 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“An experience you shouldn't miss”
Reviewed 30 August 2014

Ok I will admit after reading a number of the reviews the drive had me a little nervous. In hindsight there was no reason to be. The road is plenty wide enough all the way up for two cars and or the auto road vans. There were a couple of spots where I was well aware I was feet from the edge but never to the point where I was nervous...I think driving my own car where I was comfortable with the handling was a big plus there.

The only annoying think on the way up, the auto rode vans/stage stop on some of the curves...that is annoying as you are stuck behind one.

We pulled off a few times just to enjoy the views and take photos. Once at the top it is was about 20 degrees cooler and the views were incredible. It was an experience to be standing above and among the clouds.

The day were were there clouds were sporadically passing around the summit so at one moment you were in cloud cover and a couple of minutes later in the sun watching the clouds move past you!

Don't be afraid of the drive, the follow the directions and be safe. If the reference is helpful, the roads between Naples and Positano in Italy are far worse as are some of the roads going through the gorges in AZ.

1 Thank jdms33

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Toronto, Canada
105 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 109 helpful votes
“This is not for the faint of heart or weak of car”
Reviewed 30 August 2014

We were lucky to have a beautiful sunny day on our visit. Apparently that only happens 30-40 days a year in the mountains. Expect that the weather can change quickly in the mountains, and you'll lose some temperature on the way up. You're also asked to drive in your lowest gear, keep it under 25mph, and on the way down, take rests to cool your brakes (you're going to ride them for 8 miles). That's great advice.

On the way down you could really smell the brakes burning away. One of the rest areas on the way down passes by the world famous Appalachian Trail. We'd pulled over because our youngest was have trouble with the changes in air pressure and a very friendly park worker came by to make sure we were okay. He was super helpful and taught us much about the mountain and the trail – which at this point in it's 2,100+ miles, does a weird geographical trick where it runs north to head south and vice versa.

The views you'll get from the top cannot be compared. You are on the tallest point of the east coast basically. The presidential range was first spotted in the 1500's by sailors who called them giant inland mountains. We saw some AT hikers resting at the top with badly bandaged feet from their excursion. No doubt.

If you're nervous about the ride, you can take the train or park and ride with a guide.

Worth it.

Montreal, Canada
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“An expiriance”
Reviewed 29 August 2014

I have written a lengthy review in the past, on my repeat visits to Mt. Washington Auto Rd, it is a very interesting experience, enjoyable again and again.

It takes a half hour each way, up and returning down, and they give you an hour on top.

The view from the top when visibility is good can be 60-70 miles, or more.

only complain is the cost, its not cheep, we payed $35 per adult.

Pennsylvania, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“I wish I had done it years ago”
Reviewed 29 August 2014

I grew up in Massachusetts but had never driven the road. While there this week, my wife and I drove up. She hates heights and averted her eyes whenever the drop off was on her side. But getting to the top is incredible. It was about 75 or so at the bottom and 54 at the top. You're in bright sunshine one minute and the middle of the clouds the next. The wind howled the whole time at the summit.

Oakdale, Connecticut, United States
210 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 198 helpful votes
“New Englands most Scariest Drive”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

I have driven to the summit of My Washington 4 times now. Each time has been a bit different, with different vehicles. What all trips have in common, it can be quite unnerving.
Even as a professional driver, I still am very caution while on the auto road.

It can be done. Just rest you car, and your body at one or two of the many rest areas.

The cost is probably the most reasonable way to get to the summit. Cog is very expensive, and many people just can not hike it. But everyone should visit the summit at least once!

Visited September 2013