“I like it there and appreciate the good deal...”

Colonial Fort Inn/Hikers Paradise
and 1 more site!
Colonial Fort Inn/Hikers Paradise
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Gorham
Auburn, ME
“I like it there and appreciate the good deal...”
Reviewed 14 May 2012

I've been staying there regularly in the winter since 2005 as my husband and I are avid skiers and frequent Wildcat Mt. and Mt. Washington. We always enjoy our stay, finding the owners accomodating and fun to talk to. We are fine with the no-frills rooms as we need a low cost option to pursue our mountain pass times. The rooms are always clean, warm, comfortable and there is always plenty of hot water. In the event that anything has ever been amiss, the owners have made it right immediately. We'll be back next season!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank VickiAuburn_ME

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 11 May 2012

I am not one to write reviews, but I could not help writing this one after seeing all the terrible comments. This place is great if you are looking for an inexpensive stay before going hiking or skiing! The rooms are just fine - it's not luxurious and it is not advertised as such. You are getting a hot shower, clean comfortable bed and a quiet place to rest before heading out to play in the wild... I can't see much to complain about that. To the lady (packhawk) who wrote a long awful review - first of all, if you spent time speaking to the proprietor, you would find out he is Eastern European and no, his accent is not fake... he actually serves a great breakfast (better cooking than Dunkin Donuts for sure - I had steak and eggs...) and he is very warm hearted. He gives rides to hikers so they can get to the mountains without hitchhiking and if you spent time chatting with him, he has some pretty excellent stories. He's an amazing ski instructor, traveler and handyman. And oh -the spider you saw, if that's the 'worst thing ever' then how do you handle even spending time hiking? Regardless, this place is overall awesome for the price, boasts a fun, quirky owner and some good home cooking. I've stayed here countless times before hiking Mt. Adams or skiing Wildcat and found everything just fine.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
7 Thank maliB8
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 11 May 2012

It's located close to Mount Washington and Wildcat Ski Area, making it an ideal location for outdoor enthusiasts. The rates are great and the rooms are perfectly adequate. Great for no frills travelers who are looking for a place to stay for a night or two. Also, if you're fueling up for a long hike on the Appalachian Trail then you cant beat the hiker's breakfast.

Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Krystian B
easton, ct
Reviewed 9 May 2012

The receptionist and the staff are very friendly and accommodating.
The rooms are quiet, comfortable and clean.
The charges are very reasonable.
The convenience of being able to get a hearty breakfast at reasonable prices is also a great plus.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank 83bc
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 19 September 2011

This might be one of the cheapest option to stay, but I'd recommend to go to another motel and happily pay $15 more. Very outdated and it smelly. Only plus: sheets are clean.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ptkho

Travellers are raving about these Gorham hotels

Minnesota
Reviewed 30 September 2010

I am cheap, always looking for a good deal. My husband and I were on our annual road trip and needed a place to stay before we tackled the Mt. Washington Auto Road the next day. I usually call ahead to motels a few hours before we know where we are staying for the night to compare prices. Gorham is a smaller town, so no chains as I would prefer.

The Colonial Inn was $10 cheaper than any other place, and I checked out their website on my husband's mobile phone and it looked okay, so I booked. My first red flag should have been when I was making the reservation and asked if they had a continental breakfast and got the somewhat snooty reply, "we aren't a chain." So then we pull into the motel and it is one giant white house and some smaller cuter two-per cottages in the back. It looked old, but not necessarily run-down. An older gentleman with what I will call a fake accent and inappropriate dry sense of humor checked us in. Terrorists get a 5% discount on breakfast he hold us. The price seemed a bit high for a weekday in this location in the early fall, but it was still the cheapest room in town, so we didn't protest. Our room was in one of the little "cottages" which are cute on the outside, not so much on the inside. The receptionist mumbled something about turning on the heat in the room and we saw him wandering outside as we were unloading our luggage from the car. I couldn't help but feel I had just checked into the Bates Motel.

Inside the room, everything was outdated, stained, dirty and cramped. We could barely squeeze between the bed and TV/dresser to get to the bathroom and we aren't big people! Then there was the bathroom, which actually had been updated, but with a small sink that had no counter space. We weren't impressed, but it was late and it was a bed for the night, so we toughed it out. But then it got worse. I was in the bathroom and my husband just got out of the shower when I yelled, "Look out behind you!" as a big spider dangled down from the ceiling. Now I know that spiders are unavoidable, but this one looked annoyed that we were invading its space. Further inspection of the room revealed cobwebs in every corner. At this point, the motel office was closed, so there wasn't much we could do. We debated just sleeping in the car, but relented and slept in the stained-sheeted bed, or at least closed our eyes and rested for fear a giant spider would eat us in the night. We were up with the sun before the office was open and didn't want to stay for the breakfast they offered so we left the key in the room and hightailed it for the Dunkin' Donuts and back to reality.

I would not stay here again and wish I would have sprung the extra $10 for a decent room in the motel across the street that said they had new beds. I would hardly call this a hiker's paradise either, I would have rather slept in a tent!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank packhawk
N/A
Reviewed 8 January 2008

Smelly room, not worth a dime, save your money!

• Liked — nothing!!!
  • Disliked — everything....
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank travler1979
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gorham
Royalty Inn
#2 of 4 in Jackson
Top Notch Inn
Top Notch Inn
#2 of 7 in Gorham

Been to Colonial Fort Inn/Hikers Paradise? Share your experiences!