“A little under whelmed”

Raft NH
Ranked #3 of 16 things to do in Gorham
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Raft NH specializes in summertime whitewater rafting adventures. With trips ranging from family-friendly class II to wild class IV there is a trip for everyone! All of our rafting adventures are all inclusive and include: safety gear, an experience guide(s), transportation to and from the river from our convenient raft base in Gorham, a light riverside snack and lunch! No experience necessary, ages 6+ welcome, reservation required. Be sure to ask about our "Paws & Paddles" package which combines a daytime whitewater rafting experience and evening rolling dog sledding adventure all into one adventure packed day. Proceeds generated from our summertime adventures help provide for the 100+ amazing sled dogs that call us home (many of which are rescue and second chance).
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Ok I want to start by saying I know how hard it is to run a small business and especially how hard it is to find good responsible help. This was our 3rd rafting trip - our first with Raft NH. I think if you are looking for a day on the river this is a fine place to pay someone to bring you. The trip to get to the actual river was very long. The trip OUT to the river by boat was long. The down time between rapids was almost painful! And we had to (wet and tired and hungry!) get pulled by boat over an hour to get back to the bus to return home to finally eat "lunch at 4:30.
In my humble opinion a few things could be tweaked to make a big difference. Knowing we will be sitting in a bus for an hour going to the river I would suggest going over as much as possible ON THE BUS. ex: how to put on the life jacket. how to lean out. what the commands mean. This would save the additional 30 mins on shore it takes when we all are anxious to get rafting. Second. Have your help stay awake on the ride home and not talk about how hung over he is on the bus ride TO the rafting because no one wants to pay over $100 and be in a raft with a hung over young person who is bragging about how little sleep he got and then watch him PASSED out on the raft coming in at the end of the day. The biggest thing I would change is the food thing. I have been on rafting trips where you get out mid day and have food fresh off a grill. Although that is a nice touch I don't find that at all necessary. But I DO find eating lunch mid day extremely necessary. And I don't mean granola bars. There is a simple solution to us hungry folk. My daughter is an avid racer (sailing) and is in many regattas during the summer. Most times they are out on high OCEAN waves miles out. They have a boat literally toss in (at lunch time) individual zip lock baggies with a sandwich, chips, apple and water to sometimes up to 400 hungry racers. They wolf down there lunch while keeping there small sailboats afloat. I still cannot believe we waited until 4:30 to get all the way back to Gorham to eat a sandwich. Most of us who were strangers to each other were grumbling about the fact that now being so close to dinner what were we going to do. Most being on vacation have dinner plans. It was a very odd setup. And lastly the girl who drove the bus back to our sandwiches from the launch went soooo fast on the tight windy roads and had to finally come to a screeching halt (thank goodness) because a deer was by the road. She was in a big hurry to get back but had about 15 people who had no seatbelts in her care. Ultimately the owner of the company would be responsible for putting her behind the wheel.
Again. I don't like to leave such a long review and I think the owner is trying very hard. A bit pricey for what you get but if he can get it good for him!
l

in 9 reviews
"kristen"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Our family went white water rafting with Raft NH, This white water rafting company was very professional, accommodating and fun to work with!! Mike was the best guide!! He was safe, funny and hit the biggest water!!
I would highly recommend this company and will be returning for another trip next summer!

1  Thank Jennifer F
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Splash, Splash..up and down...hang on..you will get turned around. Excellent adventure. Great staff.

Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Our guides , Dylan, Zack, Patrick and Shaun where brilliant and made the experience great fun.
Joe from Sussex england