“Gross”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hampton
Royal Crest Motor Inn
Ranked #22 of 41 Hotels in Hampton
Reviewed 4 August 2012

We've stayed at this place before for the last couple years, in a standard room which was ok for the price and roomy with a open closet and full size fridge. But this time we decided on the economy room (never again), for some reason I had a feeling it would be right next to the pool which it was. The room what can I say don't rent it, small small small, no closet, dingy looking room, I was afraid to sleep on the bed not knowing what was on them! The small fridge had a dead fly in the freezer and the bathroom well just to say I wore my flip flops in the shower and never took them off in the place.

4  Thank m9190

Reviewed 1 August 2012

This was our third year staying at this hotel and it will be our last. The last two years we stayed in a regular room with a small kithenette and it was always ok. We didn't mind that the rooms were old and kind of depressing, since it was cheap. This year we stayed in an economy room right behind the pool, which was not a quiet room as you can imagine. We checked in and were told that we could not park on the property, but had to park in their auxiliary lot about 3 blocks away, which was a pain when you have to keep going back to your car. The lady at the desk told me they tell everyone this when they book, but I guess I was the exception. I don't mind old and dingy rooms, but this room was gross. The carpets were stained, the ceiling was dirty and had holes in it (some holes were plugged up with toilet paper), the bathroom was tiny, filthy and the fake tile was peeling all over. The sheets and blankets felt damp and really made us wonder what was crawling all over the bed. Mattress was old and flimsy too. The only sink was outside the bathroom and was tiny, I couldn't even fit both my hands under the faucet to wash them. And you definitely want to wash them after touching stuff in the room! I know this was an economy room, but come on! The only good thing about the room was that the AC worked great. We decided we will never stay here again!!!

Room Tip: Pay more and stay somewhere cleaner!
4  Thank JG5554
Reviewed 1 August 2012

I rarely take the opportunity to write reviews, however, the experience for myself and my family was overall positive. I regret only that I didn't schedule an additional night. The pool was nice, clean and warm (Good considering the ocean water is chilly), the staff were all helpful and polite, the rooms were clean and comfortable and the atmosphere was inviting; so I plan to visit back again soon.

Room Tip: Economy rooms are affordable but comes with parking in an overflow lot, which is only two blocks dow...
1  Thank mike l
Reviewed 27 July 2012

We just got back a from 5 days at hampton beach,We have been going to hampton for 7 straight years now. I have stayed at not so nice places there. but nothing as bad as the Royal Crest. Where to begin. We stayed in a kitchenette room (27) with 2 double beds. Opening the door your met with a overpowering smell of mold and disinfectant. There were dead black flies in the picture window sill. The door had a push button lock thats all and it barely worked.You had to play with it to get it to lock. The picture window curtain was too small for the window so it let in all kinds of light when your trying to sleep. The beds were absolutely disgusting. Filthy, dirty box springs and no mattress cover on the bed. I didn't look at the mattress I was too afraid to look. The bed itself was very old and hard as a rock to sleep on. The sheets were paper thin and scratchy. The blanket had cigarette burns on it. The bedspread had holes and rips on it and it was for a queen size bed. We did not use the blankets or bedspreads. I stayed in my clothes the first night. I was afraid of bud bugs, but there wasn't any thank god. The kitchenette had a four burner stove. There was elbow noodles on the stovetop when we checked in. the burners were rusty and dirty. I did not do any cooking. Too gross. The coffee maker had left over ground in it from the previous guess. The silverware drawer was broken. The bath was very old, but we had hot water everytime. The small tub could have been alot cleaner. I was not happy that they did not have a ice machine. They told us to go to the store on the corner to buy ice. I'm pretty sure they own the store. The name of the store is Royal Market $2.50 a bag for Ice. I have NEVER stayed at a motel that didn't have a ice machine for their guest. The pool was large but it was not heated like they advertise. One day it was warm thats all. Anyone that wants wifi forget it they don't have it. We tried everything we could to get connected. We went to all the hotels around to get passwords most gave them to us, a few wanted to charge $10 for the passwords. Even with the passwords we couldn't get a strong enough signal. They do offer a little room off the lobby that you can plug in your laptop. Not very convenient. If the spent $150 for a router they'd have wifi.To cheap to get it I guess. One day at the pool we had to listen to a floor sander taking up the outside walkway carpet the hole lenght of the hotel.It went on for hours. It was extremely loud and annoying. Anyway the location was okay. But if you can stay on the ocean boulevard its much more convenient. The staff was not very helpfull.We asked where a good movie theater was and they said the Ioka theater in Exeter was decent. After driving 30 minutes the place is a hole in the wall. I'm not even sure its a movie theater. Looked in the window cringed and left DUMP DO NOT GO THERE! Well after spenting close to $700 We didn't get a thank you come again.Would I recommend The Royal Crest NO!

Room Tip: We stayed in a kitchenette and it really wasn't good. I spoke to a women there that stayed in on...
8  Thank bfmonte72
jimdevine, Manager at Royal Crest Motor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2012

I have been the Assistant Manager at the Royal Crest for 5 years and have never experienced such a scathing review. While I have read it several times and was reflective about what was written, I cannot, in good conscience, let this review stand on its merit.

First, let me address the obvious misconceptions or flaws in your diatribe. Of the 30+ hotels/motels on Hampton Beach, I believe only two have ice machines, The Ashworth and the Hampton House. Additionally, we do not own the adjacent market. I personally inspect each room after the housekeepers inform me that they have finished cleaning. I look through every drawer, check surfaces for dust and dirt, look into the refrigerator and cabinets of kitchenettes and thoroughly look over the bathroom such as the one you stayed at for five days. In reviewing my daily check sheet, I find no evidence that bugs, macaroni, cigarette burns, etc. were in that room. Yes, there was a drawer that needed attention and it was addressed by our maintenance person.

I checked with the office to see if you filed any kind of complaint which you did not. You never complained to me and I am always on site meeting with guests to see how their stay is going.

At this time we offer an internet connection in our library room just off the main office. While a few hotels/motels in Hampton Beach offer free wifi, we found that it is too expensive to justify having it for such a short season. Our guests have expressed gratitude for being able to connect to the internet thanks to our present set-up.

As far as I can tell from your letter, the only thing that you accurately described was the rug removal noise that you experienced. This job had to be done and we were careful to have the work done from 10:30 a.m – 12:30 p.m. which is generally the time that our guests, with few exceptions, go to the beach.

In closing, I would love for you to call me so we could discuss a remedy for what was obviously a bad experience for you. I am truly sorry that you felt so compelled to write this review without ever giving me a chance to address your issues while you were staying with us. Incidentally, you failed to mention that you received a 15% discount because you stayed with us for multiple days. I eagerly await your telephone call. (603) 926 8441.

Jim Devine
Asst Manager – Marketing & Sales

Reviewed 20 July 2012

Me,My Wife and Daughter stayed in a one room Two bed apartment with Kitchenette for five days and true this place isn't the Ritz but it was just right for Our Needs, a two Minute walk to Beach/attractions, we Got clean Towels Every day (without Asking),the staff was very nice to us any problems we had were quickly rectified without issue. people complain about parking we had parking right in front of our room,True the rooms were a little dark and beds hard but for a Motor inn it serves Most peoples vacation needs!!

1  Thank bruinsrule77
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I have stayed at this hotel for 4 years and have rented a lot of rooms. I stayed there this past weekend and it will be the last. The New Management is rude and arrogant you would never know I was a paying quest. The service girls were all very friendly and could teach the office staff some common courtesy! They closed the pool before 9pm on a hot Friday night and early Saturday night and didn't open it on Sunday until 11am (I guess so no one would use it and would get out). Everything centers on their whims not the paying quests. The parking is always a fight, they always want you to put your car into their "overflow" lot when you have paid for a room and there are open spaces! The window on the door to one room was broken and upon opening the glass fell out! Never again!

5  Thank trudyrou
Reviewed 8 November 2011

We stayed there in Aug for a concert and that won't ever happen again. Believe the comments you'll find on Google maps about "Barb." If I hadn't put up a non-refundable deposit, we would have gone elsewhere immediately. Her tongue is as sharp as they come. She was rude to us and the other help. I am curious to know how that qualifies as "very friendly staff"???? The room was so-so, but wicked dusty under the beds with mold in the shower. A/C blew warm air. The pool looked disgusting so we didn't even attempt to go in. If you read all the reviews from the summer, you'll see this was the norm. You absolutely shouldn't believe the reviews that were posted in the fall. They must be paid advertisements.

Room Tip: Go to another motel.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends