“Outdated and dirty”

Hampton House Hotel
Ranked #7 of 41 Hotels in Hampton
Reviewed 4 September 2012

When we first got into the room my friend noticed a squished bug in the bathroom sink and hair in the bathtub that wasn't ours. There was mold on the popcorn ceiling above the A/C unit (which only worked sporadically) and a TV that looked like it was made in the 90s. The stopper that prevents the balcony door from smashing into the wall was gone leaving a hole in the wall. There was also drink splatters on the wall. The handles on the dresser was busted and just hanging there. My parents also rented a room there and they did not vacuum the room when they cleaned it. You tend to notice more when traveling with a 4 year old who is constantly on the floor playing. He found pennies on the the floor, a shopping bag, and a couple of other items that didn't belong to us. The parking garage was filled with left over railings, bricks and crap that made it even tougher to navigate and park. The staff wasn't that friendly or helpful either. My friend went down to the lobby for the free coffee and said "good morning". The one guy could barely get it up to respond to her and the girl didn't respond at all.

The view was nice. The beds were clean and comfortable. There's an elevator. That's about it.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank sweetpklp

Reviewed 25 July 2012

This is my third year staying at the Hampton House. I am starting to think maybe it is time to change next year. The hotel is in a great location with easy access to the beach across the street. We have stayed on all 3 floors and most recently the second floor ocean front. Yes, the room was clean and the bed was comfortable, but you could tell they and topper on top of the mattress. We usually stay in August during the week which seems quieter. This time we stayed Friday-Monday and the weekend was busy. The street noise was really bad this year.You can hear ever car stop at the crosswalk, motorcycles, trucks, and during the night you can hear people yelling doing whatever in the streets. We actually watched this one guy from our balcony drop people off in a truck, open beers for them and then one for himself. He poured it in his cup and then drove off. The hotel is getting older looking. It definitely could use some upgrades. The balcony door was rusty, at least you could paint in the Spring, the balcony gate was rusty. The carpet is getting worn down. The TV was a 19 inch old TV on a stand just for the TV. The staff was friendly and said hello. There is a parking garage for your cars which is good and that is free. I wish there was a pool and ice machines on all floors. This hotel is in walking distance of restaurants and shops. It is a good 5-10 minute walk but everything is right there. There is a coffee shop at the hotel and a bagel place next door, but their bagels didn't seem that fresh like you would get like at Brugger's. If you are looking for a quieter beach area, across from the hotel is a good area for that. So, it does have a nice location and view, it could use updating because your not really getting anything great. Its good for a 3 night stay, but will be exploring other options next year such as the Ashworth 2 hotels down.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank jjohnson76
Reviewed 8 July 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at the Hampton House for 2 nights. I made the reservation 3 months ahead of time and requested ocean front with a king size bed. When we checked in, I was not happy to see they gave us 2 full size beds. I spoke to the front desk and was basically told "you get what you get" He did not give me a clear answer as to how some guests get a king and others do not. As for the room, where do I begin: terrible! Old 19" tv with the big back and we got maybe 10 channels, furniture looked like it was circa 1970, stained and cracked ceiling, an area of exposed wires under the floor air conditioning unit. Very poor lighting in the bathroom with another area of stained and cracked ceiling. Housekeeping comes knocking early the next morning and since we were still in the room offers us clean towels but doesn't come back to make the beds or clean. I was so disgusted with our stay that I wanted to send the general manager a email but according to the front desk, "he doesn't have one." I would have to send to the hotel email. Wonder what my chances would be that he would see it. The only positive I can give this place is location and view. Will never stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
10  Thank KimberlyMRT
Reviewed 7 July 2012 via mobile

Old and outdated but clean and the staff was very friendly. Can't beat the location, can walk to everything the area has to offer. Parking is free and under the hotel which is better than other places on the street. Will go back.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank AmyP12
Reviewed 21 June 2012

We stayed at this hotel numerous times and overall it was great. The view is gorgeous, the rooms spacious (in the front) and the location is perfect.. However, they get top dollar and have not made any changes or updates in years. We dealt with little things like leaks, broken locks, etc. and were not given any sort of accommodation. Adding a laundry room for guests would be a big help as well as updating the bathrooms and putting in reasonable size refrigerators instead of dorm size. This place could be much better than it is and then it would be worth the money they demand. We are not likely to return as it is now.

Room Tip: Oceanfront rooms have a great view.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank NYPeggyO
Reviewed 29 December 2011

I stayed here in September and the place was gross, bugs in the ed mold in the showers and filthy carpets. Very outdated and stains everywhere. They brought us to three different rooms, all gross! We demanded our money back and left

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank mary9280
Reviewed 1 September 2011

We stayed at the Hampton House for a week in July and unfortunately it will be our last time. The rooms look like they have been furnished by Goodwill, the housekeeping was hardly up to par, once they did not leave any towels. After complaining to the front desk that the tap in the bathroom was near impossible to turn on, they finally had it changed, only after it was leaking all over the bathroom floor. The phone was not even connected and fell apart in my hands. The "free" wi-fi is nearly non existant except in the lobby, and even there I had to ask them to restart their modem twice in order to log on. The balconies are rusted and in desperate need of paint. The a/c units sounded like a cement mixer. The only positives are the front desk personnel who were very friendly and tried their best with what they had to work with. This could be a gem of a hotel considering its on prime oceanfront but it seems to have been neglected the past few years. For the money I will go stay at the Kentville or the Mainsale and if I really want to go for broke, The Ashworth.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family