“Unimpressed”

Hampton House Hotel
Ranked #7 of 41 Hotels in Hampton
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

I decided to stay here last minute because it was one of the few places that still had vacancies. Everything seemed to be okay. Nothing was fancy, nothing blew my hair back. The room seemed slightly worn, but not really filthy. It wasn't until that night I realized I had weird bites on my ankles. Not thinking much of it, I continued on enjoying the beach and the room. Well, hindsight is 20/20 I guess, because my boyfriend and I ended up infested with fleas by the time we got back to our house. Bear in mind we have no animals, and nobody was in our house from when we left, to when we got back. I am highly allergic to flea bites, and there's no other way we could have gotten them. Anyway, we called back the hotel. After four days of trying to reach them we finally got a call back from the head housekeeper. She said they don't have fleas and no one else has complained. I told her my boyfriend didn't have the same violent reaction I did because, well, some people are highly allergic, and some people don't even show symptoms. She offered a 10% refund, on $212. It's really kind of a slap in the face because we spent $20 on bombs. $10 on sprays, and more money on borax, vacuum bags, lost goods, and a ton of laundry, etc. A week later and we're still spending money on trying to make the situation go away. I'm covered in bites, and the hotel is culpable for nothing. I'm frustrated. Basically I paid two hundred dollars to get fleas. I'll never go back.

Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank BuggZapper
There are newer reviews for Hampton House Hotel

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Have stayed at this hotel for years and, as others have said, you cannot beat the location. You just have to walk across the street and your toes are in the sand. There are a couple of other things on the plus side: parking included in your stay, large rooms, beach view from every balcony ( though not all are beach front), and short walk to all the activity. Having stayed here so many times I must say there are things that make me wonder if this hotel is coming on some hard times or if they are just waiting to be bought out and the property converted to condos like some other hotels recently have been. First of all, the table and lamp that used to be in each room are gone. That means that the only room lighting is the wall lamp between the two beds. The room needs more lighting. (When it rained we used to use the table to do a puzzle or play a game - now there is no table and no lamp). The bathrooms are bright but there now are no towel bars, soap dish or hairdryer. The towels are just left for you in a stack on the bathroom vanity and we used a plastic cup ( at least they supply a couple of them) to put our wet soap in at the sink. One of the clean wash cloths that were left for us was so stained that it should never have been put in the room - should have been retired or used only for cleaning which may have been what it was last used for. On last visit my friend was told that they don't have towel bars and hair dryers because people were steeling them. (Really? How often do you really think people pull towel bars out of the wall? - and don't you have a credit card number to charge it to if this happens?). By the way, they will give you a hair dryer to use if you ask for one in the lobby. All of that said, would I stay there again? - absolutely. I have stayed at much worse places on the beach and there is much to be said for the beach being right across the street. But at $200/night I don't think adequate lighting and a soap dish are too much to ask.

Room Tip: Some rooms are larger with a king bed and an alcove with a pull out couch. The alcove is a good pla...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank bobncar
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

We were driving in late night and we were looking for a nice place to rest our heads This place come highly recommended. But unfortunately we never made it past the lobby . We were greeted by an elderly man who apparently hated its job and a little bit paranoid.we arrive late 4 adult 2 infant and we were instantly kick out of the place because this guy apparently told us we were prank calling him and we were a bunch of punks and immediately got kick out and called the cops on. Which made no sense cause if we were doing that why would we have shown up !! A little bit paranoid much. It was such a disappointment first time in the hampton and we were greeted like this bad impression hampton hotel.i really hope management do something about this or maybe have a little schooling on customer service & guest relation . I hate to base a place on one employee but unfortunately that's all we had to go on so I'm sorry hampton house hotel but no returns or any friends of mine cause they will know .

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Perfect location for all activities in Hampton Beach, NH. Beach is across the street. A couple of quality restaurants are very close by and there are also places that sell pizza and hot dogs within 10 minute walk. The Hampton Beach Casino Ballroom is a nice walk away. The staff was not overly friendly, but they knew the area very well.
Rooms was very spacious, but needed some upkeep. The balcony railing was very rusted and not clean. Many dead bugs were visible all around when sitting in the balcony. The furniture was also very dated, but not a big deal for me, as it was very functional. Additional room lighting would have been better, but again, not a huge deal.
Over all, it was good.

Room Tip: We liked our high floor. it would nice to get a room directly facing the ocean.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pilozm
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

We have stayed here many times..nothing fancy but rooms are clean..hospitality is good..location and beach front balcony is beyond great. Prices in and out of season are right in line. We will be back again.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank hayen41
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Thought it wouldn't be bad place to stay in a pinch. Boy was I WRONG.
Besides being way over priced for a rainy Sat. night in the off season ( but was my choice to pay ),
Bedsheets and comforter seemed a little dirty, but I gave them benefit of a doubt. Was in bed watching TV, decided to take off my shirt, bad idea,sheets were all full of sand, ans maybe flees or something. Itchy and scratchy all night, could not wait to leave. Wife even refused to use shower, she took two when got home. I Will Never Stay Again..

• Stayed: April 2014
7  Thank bunky1313
Reviewed 8 September 2013

From what other guests said the forth floor was redone and was very nice When I asked the short guy at the desk upon checking out he said the hotel was redone .I stated that if the whole place was done over I would try to get the money back ! our rug was coming up where it meet the tile the bathroom had some type of stain on the door and wall in the bathroom the wires were hanging out from the bottom of the air unit in the room there was a giant spider web as we went out onto the balcony and maybe they could run a broom and a mop over even the simple floors the short guy at the desk was as rude as he was the last time we stayed there don't waste your time yes its across the street from the beach buy a tent it would be cleaner

Room Tip: go down the street
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple