“Sorry to report: Bad experience”
Review of Sun & Surf Motel

Sun & Surf Motel
Ranked #23 of 41 Hotels in Hampton
Montreal
“Sorry to report: Bad experience”
Reviewed 8 August 2008

First of all, these small Hampton Beach motels are totally overpriced and the owners take advantage of the fact that (and it is STILL a mystery to me) that most motels and hotels in this area are booked solid during July. Planning this trip, I searched a whole 2 days on the Web (and Tripadvisor - in their defence, no-one has written anything on this motel before) as I was a bit late in deciding on a destination close to Boston and outlet shopping, given the miserable weather we have been having.

Many of these small hotels have terrible reviews, but I could not find much information on the Sun & Surf motel, only 1 or 2 reviews, and they were positive! so I thought I had discovered a secret gem here. Now I know they must have been written by a relative of the owners or something like it.

The rooms are small, the walls are bare and paper-thin, and THE BEDS WERE JUST PLAIN MISERABLE and do not qualify as such, as they were way smaller than described on the phone, and the springs could be felt through my back and my sleepless nights.

This is just a very old place that is not very well kept. I had seen a couple of reviews were it said the place was clean - if this place means clean - I would hate to seem some that are dirty. The drinking glass in our room was filthy. I do not wish to over do it on the negatives, but this wannabe motel is just plain bad. On the positive side, its probably par for the course in this class of overpriced pigeon holes for the area. The lesson I have learned: 1) For a vacation near the beach on the east coast, I will be going back to a our nice Coleman pop-up tent trailer. Its 27 feet long when opened, air conditionned with a side-pull dinette, and above all its clean. I really think its still our best option unless you have $ 250.00 pet night to get out of this class of small motel the sun & surf is in. I also must mention a thing of two about this Hampton Beach destination, especially for those travellers who will have to invest in a 6 hour drive like me. Hampton Beach probably used to be a nice place decades ago, but its T-shirt and pizza city now, and well, pretty tacky. But some people (many in fact) like this, so do let this stop you if thats what you are looking for.

Nest time, I will invest in one extra day of driving, and move on to Virginia Beach, (like we had been doing the previous 5 years) where the beach is pristine, the temperature rarely falls under 90 degrees, and the water is very warm, unlike the chilling waters in Hampton and Old Orchard.

We eventually cut short our stay at the Sun & Surf, sorry to be blunt, but never, NEVER will I take chances with our family vacation this way again. What a frustrating let down.

• Liked — Nothing really
  • Disliked — Not clean, beds and overall accomodation not as described when making the reservation
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
4 Thank robrobmontreal

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)