My wife and I spent three nights at the Ashworth in March and had a great time. Like many visitors there we live only 45 minutes away (!) but wanted to enjoy the Hampton Beach experience full time. Check in was quick, our room was as expected. We were just slightly disappointed that my emailed request to have a room near the pool was not noticed. As a result we had to step outside for about 15 ft to get from our building to the pool. Fortunately it was not too cold when we were there.
Let me tell you about the pool! It is enclosed, very comfortably warm, plenty of loungers, plenty of towels. When we were there we saw only two other people using it - in three days !
We had our breakfasts and dinners in the hotel restaurant. It is full service so don't look for any bargains. Service and food qualtity were both generally good.I will note that on Friday our first serving of clam chowder was lukewarm. They took it back and returned it warm enough but it seemed a bit watery. My wife and I puzzled as to why this would be so.
There is a lounge with DJ entertainment Friday and Saturday night. If you don't like a lively atmosphere, then it's not for you. We had a ball. The music was varied, the crowd was spirited, the drinks were tasty.
Over the course of the weekend I learned something. I reported a problem with our room key card, it didn't work. The very friendly desk staff taught me that if you keep such cards near a cell phone they can demagnetize and not work. That seemed to be the remedy.
The Ashworth has several categories of rooms, ocean front, ocean view, etc, all at greatly different prices. They do also offer room and meal plans - it may be worth considering. To my wife and me the Ashworth is definitely an upscale hotel - it may not be the best choice if you are bringing children, especially off-season.
Saturday night the hotel was sold out, plus there was a big reception in the ballroom, at least one bachelorette party in the lounge, generally a lot of adult party-goers. We had fun.
The last time we stayed there was actually nineteen years ago - on our 25th anniversary,
a gift of our children. This time we paid our own way. I should mention that at this time of year there is practically nothing else open at Hampton Beach, it is like a ghost town.
So, if all you want to do during the day is walk along the beach, or drive up the coast road 1-A toward Portsmouth, or head further North to the outlet malls, you'll be OK.
One other thing you should know. Hotel parking is somewhat limited. During busy times, especially the summer season, you will have to use their valet service to park and retrieve your car. If you like to go abroad during the day (as I do) this may be a concern.
While comfortably lounging at the pool area on Sunday afternoon my wife and were musing that we should make it back there much more often, maybe even later this year.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Open year round, Ashworth by the Sea offers friendly New England hospitality in an elegant, boutique setting overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. We've maintained the historical aspects of the hotel, which has been a Hampton Beach Landmark for the past 100 years, and our recent renovation has updated the hotel with all the modern conveniences and amenities today's traveler expects. Ashworth by the Sea offers captivating views overlooking award-winning beaches, as well as creative dining, superior service, well-appointed rooms, and a superb location on Hampton Beach, New Hampshire. We look forward to welcoming you to our beach hotel. With New Hampshire's only sandy beach just outside your front door, the hotel has been designed to provide a tranquil seaside retreat. Stay with us, and you'll enjoy elegantly furnished guestrooms, three restaurants offering some of the finest dining on Hampton Beach, and effortless access to the area's prime attractions, including Odiorne Point, Rye Harbor and the Kittery Outlets. A wide variety of family amusements including a water park, zoo, museums, the Casino Ballroom concert arena, and tax-free shopping, are all within minutes of our doors. Relax and enjoy the ocean views from your private balcony, or take a dip in our refreshing heated pool before strolling off to discover one of the many fine shops or historical sites nearby. With over 6,000 square feet of event space and five dynamic function rooms, Ashworth by the Sea is a top destination for weddings, social gathering and corporate meetings on Hampton Beach and the Seacoast. Ashworth by the Sea is the perfect destination for romantic getaways, family vacations, girlfriends' shopping weekends, or corporate retreats. While many Hampton Beach hotels close once the summer rush is over, Ashworth by the Sea welcomes guests throughout the year, making us ideal for travelers who prefer to enjoy the quieter, off-season side of the New England coast in the cooler months. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Booking.com, Agoda, Priceline, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Ashworth by the Sea reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ashworth By The Sea Hotel Hampton
- Ashworth By The Sea Hampton
- Ashworth Sea
- Ashworth Hotel Hampton Nh