“Great location and services for racers” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ashworth by the Sea

Ashworth by the Sea
Ranked #3 of 41 Hotels in Hampton
Burlington, Vermont
“Great location and services for racers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2011

This was my second stay at the Ashworth in conjunction with a half marathon -- Half at the Hamptons in '10 and this year Run for the Border Half. The hotel is comfortable, clean, with friendly service and a great, convenient location and beautiful views of the ocean.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Polish first
Dracut, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2011

My wife and I spent three nights at the Ashworth in March and had a great time. Like many visitors there we live only 45 minutes away (!) but wanted to enjoy the Hampton Beach experience full time. Check in was quick, our room was as expected. We were just slightly disappointed that my emailed request to have a room near the pool was not noticed. As a result we had to step outside for about 15 ft to get from our building to the pool. Fortunately it was not too cold when we were there.
Let me tell you about the pool! It is enclosed, very comfortably warm, plenty of loungers, plenty of towels. When we were there we saw only two other people using it - in three days !
We had our breakfasts and dinners in the hotel restaurant. It is full service so don't look for any bargains. Service and food qualtity were both generally good.I will note that on Friday our first serving of clam chowder was lukewarm. They took it back and returned it warm enough but it seemed a bit watery. My wife and I puzzled as to why this would be so.
There is a lounge with DJ entertainment Friday and Saturday night. If you don't like a lively atmosphere, then it's not for you. We had a ball. The music was varied, the crowd was spirited, the drinks were tasty.
Over the course of the weekend I learned something. I reported a problem with our room key card, it didn't work. The very friendly desk staff taught me that if you keep such cards near a cell phone they can demagnetize and not work. That seemed to be the remedy.
The Ashworth has several categories of rooms, ocean front, ocean view, etc, all at greatly different prices. They do also offer room and meal plans - it may be worth considering. To my wife and me the Ashworth is definitely an upscale hotel - it may not be the best choice if you are bringing children, especially off-season.
Saturday night the hotel was sold out, plus there was a big reception in the ballroom, at least one bachelorette party in the lounge, generally a lot of adult party-goers. We had fun.
The last time we stayed there was actually nineteen years ago - on our 25th anniversary,
a gift of our children. This time we paid our own way. I should mention that at this time of year there is practically nothing else open at Hampton Beach, it is like a ghost town.
So, if all you want to do during the day is walk along the beach, or drive up the coast road 1-A toward Portsmouth, or head further North to the outlet malls, you'll be OK.
One other thing you should know. Hotel parking is somewhat limited. During busy times, especially the summer season, you will have to use their valet service to park and retrieve your car. If you like to go abroad during the day (as I do) this may be a concern.
While comfortably lounging at the pool area on Sunday afternoon my wife and were musing that we should make it back there much more often, maybe even later this year.

Manchester, New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2011

If you are staying at Hampton Beach and would like a "real" hotel feel, this is your place. While there are many options to stay at the beach, this hotel has a pool, restaurant, bar, updated rooms and limited room service and is right on Ocean Blvd. You will pay a bit more, but if you want a full-service hotel, this is it.

Monson, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2011

I have been going up to Hampton Beach for 41 years and have never stayed at the Ashworth until finally in march of this year I decided to try it and I loved it!Great hotel and everyone was very friendly.I will make this my hotel of choice from now on.I highly recommend it.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Kglanding
Burlington, Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2011

Warm hospitality, the best views on the beach, great food and accomodations.....It's spring at the Ashworth and it was good to be 'home'. The long winter hasn't dampened the spirits of the staff and it was great to see Rita, Marie and Diane who greeted us like family. Took care of us like family too, and the food is as great as I remember it last fall. This mini pre-season vacation had me thinking it was summer. Can't wait to come back then for another home coming.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
West Yarmouth, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2011

From the first greeting at the front desk to the bartender switching NCAA games on the TV, the service was an obvious reflection of the incredibly efficient and friendly manager on duty, Rita. While she listened to every word of our conversation in the lounge, her eyes caught every guest's nuance and body language to make sure they were attended to in a timely fashion. With that as an example, it was obvious that every"front of the house" employee followed her lead. As for the back of the house, the menus are wide-ranging and reasonable, timely and just about perfect. Gym faces the ocean! Thanks, Ashworth! I'll be back all summer and beyond...

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Lovesox
Epping, New Hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2011

We have been going to the Ashworth since about 2009. Some of our stays have been the best and recently our stay was kinda the worse but before I say what was bad let me tell you all the key points as to what makes this hotel one of the best for us. We live down the street a few towns over. When we want to get away from family we book a room over at the Ashworth and this year it happens to be the one place I longed to go for my birthday. We were greeted by a warm friendly face at check in. Our room was not ready which is understandable since we check in early a great deal of the time. We normally like to go in and spend the day just unwinding from the hectic life we live. John M called us while we waited for our room to be ready. When we got to our room there was just a slight error and we were quickly accompanied by a room switch. Then later another room change had to happen. Over all the staff has always been what makes this wonderful place work...

Now this will be kinda long because it's a list but don't think because I say these things we won't be back. We love the people more than the conditions that's what keeps us coming back and all the mishaps in the world just don't add up to not go back anymore...

Our first room change was because the inside rooms are really tough to sleep around. If you are from the city it might mean something else but by being from the country we tend to like quiet just a bit more. But what we noticed in both rooms we had that the TVs were very snowy, wiggled the back a bit and it was better. The room we were finally in was great for us since we like to be on the Boar-side of the Hotel. We love the desserts down in the Breakers Lounge and called to get some. Mr York was very kind to take the order, I like to normally go down stairs the first night to see what's going on and really to see Mr York because he is one of my favorites to see. He came out and told me that my dessert had nuts in it and that I could change it if I wanted too. I declined said I would like to try it just the same. But you know what I have to say bothered me was the bartender at the bar. He was very cold and kinda didn't want to be bothered with. His bar patrons seemed more important than leaving a good impression on anyone else. Either way we had a great dessert in our room. About 9 o'clock comes and the person/people in the next room started yelling and cackling so bad that it was almost like they were in our room with us. Now I come here to relax. I sat for a moment and then decided to go down stairs and speak to Matt at the desk. He suggested a few things and we came to the understanding that we would move rooms, He was kind to call up to the room to let my companion know we were moving rooms. We moved rooms and was grateful for the upgrade and the kindness. Then we had to call down again because the TV was on the wonks. Matt was fast and quick with arriving at our room to check what was going on. He called up and said that the TV should be OK in 45 mins. So it wasn't ready by the time we went to sleep but we weren't in that big of a rush and he did what he could. Next day I met a new face Coleen, I informed her that our TV was still not working and that I would call down when my companion was awake and moving about. She said OK and David came to the rescue later and fixed the TV. For lunch I called for our room service and believe it or not I was kinda upset because my order was not correct when it got to the room and to be honest it was cold. They did correct the error that was made and explained that they assumed I wanted it one way rather than the other. No big deal... Well what really got me was our last night stay. The people beside us were so loud and I was so upset. My daughter had came to stay for the last night and the people beside us slammed the doors yelled at the top of their lungs slammed furniture and really down right rude. I got tired of complaining and tired of the headaches. I know that the hotel staff can't control who goes where sometimes but sometimes I just wish others would understand that being an adult means inside voices and not to be disruptive .

Over all the Ashworth tries a great deal to help every person that comes through their doors. Everyone gets the same great service. I will have to add though. I really like the old menu and it was more friendlier than what the menu is today. It use to be very affordable and such a better variety than what is there now. So if you are there in the winter months look for small places that drive out that way. But be sure to go down to Breakers Lounge for dessert.

I am a real patron of the Ashworth and Thank you Staff for making the stay as comfortable as possible.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Colwen_Management, General Manager at Ashworth by the Sea, responded to this review, 25 March 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review of your recent stay here at the Ashworth by the Sea. We will pass along your feedback to our staff and let them know how they positively contributed to your stay.

We do sincerely apologize for the issues you had with your rooms and will look into these problems. Guest feedback is always an important part of the improvement process.

Again, we do thank you for your input and look forward to having you stay here again at the Asworth by the Sea.

Best Regards,

Peter Coutis, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hampton
Lamies Inn and The Old Salt Tavern
Atlantic Breeze Suites
#6 of 41 in Hampton
Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa
BEST WESTERN PLUS The Inn at Hampton

Been to Ashworth by the Sea? Share your experiences!