“One of the best options with amazing views”

Ashworth by the Sea
Ranked #2 of 41 Hotels in Hampton
New Haven, Connecticut
“One of the best options with amazing views”
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Stayed here one night this past weekend for our one year anniversary and despite the weather (rain and cold!) we had a great time. The views of the beach are amazing and the rooftop pool and sundeck is a very nice feature, especially if the weather is bad you still can go swimming in the heated pool. The room was very nice for Hampton Beach standards. Only complaints of the room were the toilet kept running and when you are sleeping the hallway light illuminated the floor in our room so just need to put a towel down to avoid the light. The staff is very polite and valet parking was a nice feature as well. I would def stay here again as I grew up vacationing in Hampton and it's my home away from home.

Room Tip: Best Avail King views are great and cheaper
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank luv2travel85

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
  • Polish first
United States
Reviewed 5 June 2011

What a great family trip and what a night and day difference from the last time we were here! The food and service were spectacular! Talk to this guy Jerry, I think he runs the restaurant but he seems to know everyone everyplace and he cares about every little thing and so does everyone else you will run into. Last year it was kind of a bland trip and I didn't think we'd be back and I wanted to try someplace else but we ended up there again and WOW it was AWESOME! What a difference. Great place with warmth and charm and fun. Clean, comfortable and great food and service that you will definitely want to come back for, in fact we are thinking about making another trip - excellent, wouldn't go anyplace else!!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank MPJunior
Medford, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 May 2011

This was my first time staying at this hotel because during the summer months, which is generally when I travel to Hampton Beach for concerts, you have to stay the entire weekend and I usually only stay one night. I have stayed pretty much everyone else on and around the beach and this is the first time I've ever experienced a clean room! The staff was very accomodating both in the hotel and the restaurant/bar. I couldn't find the breakfast cafe and when I asked the girl cleaning the rooms she actually walked me over to it; very impressive. I also loved that when they have $2.00 beer specials it is ALL beers. I think the next time I visit this beach I will definitely stay and extra night and spend it here with the beach directly accross the street and a block down the street from activities. Go and enjoy!

Room Tip: Get the balcony facing the ocean; beautiful view
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank christinenewell
Los Gatos, California
Reviewed 27 April 2011

On initial check-in, I was impressed. Friendly staff and nice clean lobby. The room looked spotless as well when I arrived and the balcony was nice (very relaxing hearing the waves from the ocean nearby). However, when I took a shower the next morning, I noticed the shower curtain covered in mold. Then I noticed the coffee maker had never been cleaned. I wondered what else the hotel "pretended to clean" when I checked the bed and towels again, but they looked ok. The restaurant and cafe had ok food but I agree with other reviews, service was very slow and being there by myself this time I felt uncomfortable and forgotten sitting there so long to order my food. This hotel could have easily earned 5 stars, but they need to fix a few things first.

There is not much to do in Hampton but enjoy a nice walk along the beach. Its about a 30 minute drive to Portsmouth. Both the drive and Portsmouth are awesome

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Triplet1
Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed 3 April 2011

This was my second stay at the Ashworth in conjunction with a half marathon -- Half at the Hamptons in '10 and this year Run for the Border Half. The hotel is comfortable, clean, with friendly service and a great, convenient location and beautiful views of the ocean.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Dracut, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 March 2011

My wife and I spent three nights at the Ashworth in March and had a great time. Like many visitors there we live only 45 minutes away (!) but wanted to enjoy the Hampton Beach experience full time. Check in was quick, our room was as expected. We were just slightly disappointed that my emailed request to have a room near the pool was not noticed. As a result we had to step outside for about 15 ft to get from our building to the pool. Fortunately it was not too cold when we were there.
Let me tell you about the pool! It is enclosed, very comfortably warm, plenty of loungers, plenty of towels. When we were there we saw only two other people using it - in three days !
We had our breakfasts and dinners in the hotel restaurant. It is full service so don't look for any bargains. Service and food qualtity were both generally good.I will note that on Friday our first serving of clam chowder was lukewarm. They took it back and returned it warm enough but it seemed a bit watery. My wife and I puzzled as to why this would be so.
There is a lounge with DJ entertainment Friday and Saturday night. If you don't like a lively atmosphere, then it's not for you. We had a ball. The music was varied, the crowd was spirited, the drinks were tasty.
Over the course of the weekend I learned something. I reported a problem with our room key card, it didn't work. The very friendly desk staff taught me that if you keep such cards near a cell phone they can demagnetize and not work. That seemed to be the remedy.
The Ashworth has several categories of rooms, ocean front, ocean view, etc, all at greatly different prices. They do also offer room and meal plans - it may be worth considering. To my wife and me the Ashworth is definitely an upscale hotel - it may not be the best choice if you are bringing children, especially off-season.
Saturday night the hotel was sold out, plus there was a big reception in the ballroom, at least one bachelorette party in the lounge, generally a lot of adult party-goers. We had fun.
The last time we stayed there was actually nineteen years ago - on our 25th anniversary,
a gift of our children. This time we paid our own way. I should mention that at this time of year there is practically nothing else open at Hampton Beach, it is like a ghost town.
So, if all you want to do during the day is walk along the beach, or drive up the coast road 1-A toward Portsmouth, or head further North to the outlet malls, you'll be OK.
One other thing you should know. Hotel parking is somewhat limited. During busy times, especially the summer season, you will have to use their valet service to park and retrieve your car. If you like to go abroad during the day (as I do) this may be a concern.
While comfortably lounging at the pool area on Sunday afternoon my wife and were musing that we should make it back there much more often, maybe even later this year.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Manchester, New Hampshire
Reviewed 27 March 2011

If you are staying at Hampton Beach and would like a "real" hotel feel, this is your place. While there are many options to stay at the beach, this hotel has a pool, restaurant, bar, updated rooms and limited room service and is right on Ocean Blvd. You will pay a bit more, but if you want a full-service hotel, this is it.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hampton
Lamies Inn and The Old Salt Tavern
Hampton Village Resort
#17 of 41 in Hampton
Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa
Best Western Plus The Inn At Hampton

Been to Ashworth by the Sea? Share your experiences!