“Brown Lobster,Raw Steak,Cold room service,bad fridge,balcony lock broken,staff awful except for 2 people”

Ashworth by the Sea
Ranked #3 of 41 Hotels in Hampton
Medford, Massachusetts
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Well I will NEVER stay here again.Got our room and parked in their garage with a sign that says not responsible for anything.Went to room,fridge warm and falling over,balcony lock broken,ancient air for room.After alerting the desk went to dinner down the beach,came back and they had not done a thing.Colleen at the desk was awesome and comped breakfast for the 3 days we were here and got us a new room.We went to breakfast 1st day waitress we were supposed to have ignored us and another older woman came over and was nice.Next day got room service and it was cold.Dealt with it.Went to go out later and noticed dishes in hallway by elevator were still there 6 hrs later.Went to dinner at the dining room,made a reservation for 2 for window,was sat nowhere near a window.Ordered a salad which was good and then surf and turf.My lobster was brown,steak was raw.Waiter was awesome his name is Derek who alerted the cook before he served us that he should cook me a new lobster because the claws were broken and brown but had him take it to me anyway.I opened it and it was brown and tail was also and wasn't from the vein either.Derek took it back to kitchen because they didn't believe him that it was even though it didn't look right before he even brought it to me.So he came back and said they have lobster meat for sandwiches and would give me some so I said fine,I then cut into my cold steak just to find it raw.He came back with the lobster meat,cold,and I showed him the steak and he said he would speak to manager again and see if it could be taken off the bill,It shouldn't have even been a discussion about it anymore.It took the manager over an hour to come to our table and apologize which is just bad managerial skills.They took off my and my friends food yay big deal and we are even guests in the hotel.I will never ever stay in this pit again.They need to make the desk girl manager and the waiter manager since they were the only ones who cared.The hotel night manager was acting like I was bothering him,sorry my door didn't lock.If my belongings got stolen they would have been sued and if I got food poisoning from their raw spoiled food they would have gotten sued.Maybe I should have eaten it.The hostess for the dining room was very snobby and like I said I made reservations for a window and no one was sitting at the window seats at all so NO EXCUSE THERE!!!! What a horrible experience for a vacation I was looking forward to since it was a 4-5 star hotel which in my opinion it is far from.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
11 Thank MomofAngelAshley
Colwen_Management, General Manager at Ashworth by the Sea, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
Please accept my sincerest apologies for the apparent lack of management response and empathy during your stay with us. I am sorry that you were initially put into a room that was not up to your, as well as our, standards. Your feedback has been shared with both our housekeeping and maintenance staffs. We are pleased that we were able to relocate you to a room that you were comfortable in for the remainder of your stay.

We do try to fulfill all guest requests for seating preferences in the dining room, and we regret that this did not occur in your case. After discussing with staff, we agree that the lobster you were served should never have left the kitchen based on its appearance, whether it was the first or the last lobster of the night. This point has been emphatically made to our kitchen and service staff.

I have spoken with the dining room manager and the night manager and they strongly assert that they had no intention of giving an impression of uncaring. They sincerely regret that you felt that way, it was not their intention. Our dining room manager does apologize if it seemed to take a while to address your concerns.

In any event, we have taken your observations, shared with all the members of the staff and will use it as incentive to work harder to enhance our standards.

Tom Petot,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Polish first
Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Something is wrong. Recently spent a weekend at the Ashworth; something I have been doing in early spring for the past few years. It had always been a wonderful get a way, but this time, it was different. Their fabulous food took a hit; chowder from a can now? A cold feeling everywhere, and a feeling that maybe there were cameras in the corner, spying. It was just uncomfortable. It used to be really warm and friendly; now the staff seems afraid to linger and talk for a while. I have since heard that the Ashworth is under new management. I can tell!! Nope! Definitely not the same Ashworth I used to know....they seem to be heading downhill, fast. I hope they wake up!

Room Tip: At least the great location hasn't changed
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Anne H
Colwen_Management, General Manager at Ashworth by the Sea, responded to this review, 1 May 2012
We sincerely regret that you felt that there had been a change in the level of hospitality you have come to expect from previous visits. Ashworth remains under the same ownership and management group as your prior stays. Our chowder is made on property – in fact we have made a renewed commitment to use the freshest ingredients available in our area in preparing our menu items. We are sorry that you felt it was not the same as prior renditions.

While we do use cameras to oversee entrances to the building for the security of our guests, we do not currently have any placed in our restaurant. I am surprised that you felt our staff was inhibited in interacting with our guests – it is something we encourage as an important part of Ashworth hospitality. We do hope that based on your previous positive reviews you will give us another chance. We would look forward to seeing you again.

Best Regards,
Tom Petot,
Shelburne Falls, Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 March 2012

This is a great hotel just across the street from Hampton Beach. We took advantage of a Bloomspot travel deal for Columbus Day weekend, and boy, did we hit the weather right. It was an 80 degree day and we spent time in the water, and until dusk on the beach. Upon check in, the staff welcomed us warmly and was super helpful. With the deal came a dinner voucher for the hotel restaurant. The menu was varied, and the food and service were very good. Because it was off-season, much of the boardwalk area was completely closed - including the McDonald's a couple blocks down. And because the population was scaled way back, the social scene at the hotel bar/deck was non-existant. Which was Ok because we were there with our young daughter. (But it looked like they had a nice set up for a fun evening outside, overlooking the beach and the activity on the street.) They have a pool that was warm in a greenhouse type structure. The room was big enough and the bathroom seems to have been redone recently. I would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank Carol F
Rochester, NY
Reviewed 26 March 2012

The Ashworth is a lovely older hotel, with modern amenities. The service was excellent and the room very comfortable. The walls are a little thin, but it wasn't really a problem.

Room Tip: The ocean front rooms have wonderful views.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank NYPeggyO
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Reviewed 22 March 2012

We got a smokin deal as we were passing through from Canada to South Carolina. Can't beat the location on the beach. Great beach view from each balcony. The food in the restaurant was fantastic! Lobster roll was the best we ever had and we are east coasters from Nova Scotia! Ribs were great too and the service superb despite unseasonally high temperatures and a unexpected crowd! WE will be back and I hope to spend mor time

• Stayed March 2012
5 Thank Kyna
Cedar Rapids
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Stayed here for 13 days for work during the off season..Check in was great and the staff was great, but the rooms needed some TLC. Great breakfast at the cafe. Pool wasn't anything special. Great place to eat nearby is Porkeys..Wicked Good.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank ulrich04
Colwen_Management, Manager at Ashworth by the Sea, responded to this review, 14 March 2012
Thank you for your review and feedback on your past stay here at the Ashworth by the Sea. We are currently working on improving our guest rooms and this is a process in which we are always working. We’re glad that you had positive encounters with our staff and we take great pride in our entire staff here at the hotel. We are always looking at areas of improvement and feedback from guests is one of our main sources.

Thank you again for taking the time to review our hotel and we look forward to seeing you again at the Ashworth by the Sea!

Best Regards,

Jon Moore
Operations Manager
Northampton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Stayed here with friends in February on the weekend of the Hampton Half Marathon. Room was clean with an amazing view. Breakers was fun for drinks and dancing on Saturday night. We did have to wait a while to be seated for breakfast, staff seemed a little overwhelmed with the big crowd but once we were seated the food and service were good.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Alicia W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hampton
Lamies Inn and The Old Salt Tavern
Hampton Village Resort
#17 of 41 in Hampton
Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa
Best Western Plus The Inn At Hampton

Been to Ashworth by the Sea? Share your experiences!