“great location”

Ranked #3 of 41 Hotels in Hampton
Wareham, Massachusetts
“great location”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Stayed at the Ash worth for two nights. Great location, nice king room with a small balcony. Not a large room but plenty of space for two of us. Clean and well kept. Breakfast was very good at the Wharfside but food at the Breakers not very good. Walk down the street and you will find a lot of restaurants with much better food and service. Only negative, very poor service upon arrival. No help with luggage. We had to wait for our room so we had the valet park the car. When the room was ready the valet retrieved the car and just handed me the keys so we could get our luggage out of the car ourselves. No help was offered and the valet just disappeared into the hotel. Desk service wasn't great either. Should probably work on customer service training. Also, be prepared if you are a light sleeper, walls between rooms are very thin. Overall, nice hotel in a great location.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a balcony, front or side, great view of the beach.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Polish first
Keene, New Hampshire
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I have been wanting to stay at this hotel for years, it looks so grand. Not all that's it's cracked up to be. The pool area needed to be updated and cleaned, everything including the doors were rusting out. Room was very plain but the view was amazing. Overpriced I think.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Dandygirl41
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My husband and I had a great long weekend at your beautiful hotel. It was nearly perfect, except when we tried to get our car at checkout. We thought there might be a rush at checkout time, so we purposely checked out a little early. I gave my claim ticket to the valet, and waited almost 45 minutes to have my car brought to me! I was standing out there in the sun, with all of our luggage, watching people who came after me get their cars and drive away. Not one of the 3 valets approached me as I stood there! When I finally asked the young man about my car, the valet couldn't find my claim ticket. Apparently he had lost it and forgot all about getting my car. It would have been faster just to get my own car! He didn't even apologize for having me wait there so long. PLEASE review your current valet procedures. No one should have to wait that long to have there car returned. :(

2 Thank Sharon M
Conway, MA
Reviewed 29 June 2014

It was going to be a beautiful weekend, so we decided last minute to head to Hampton Beach. We've stayed at the Ashworth before, so I went online and got lucky. They had an oceanfront room available! Love the ocean and was looking forward to sitting on the balcony watching the waves.
So we get there, they have valet parking only...$15. You don't really have access to your vehicle. We check in and I'm told that the whole beach area had a black gnat issue this winter and they've done all they can, but they ask that you DONT open your balcony door. WHAT?! Now THIS was why I paid $300 for this room. No phone call or email BEFORE I got there informing me of this. No credit on the rate. Nothing but a piece of paper with the black gnat info on it. We weren't in our room ten minutes and the same paper they gave us at check in was slipped under our door.
We walked the boardwalk, ate at an outdoor cafe and sat outside listening to a concert on the beach. No issues with black gnats anywhere BUT The Ashworth. They were all over the outside of the sliders. I think it was an issue with the Ashworth not the whole beach area.
Ok so the beds were comfortable, room reasonable size, Vending machines outside the door. But the bug thing really wrecked it for me.
I got an email after my stay from them stating if I had any negatives about my stay to email them direct. Which I did. Nothing! No response...nothing. Don't think I'll be staying there again. The only thing they had going for them was the oceanfront view. Otherwise it's just another hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Colwen_MGMT, General Manager at Ashworth by the Sea, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to offer valuable feedback. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused by the current black gnat issue affecting Hampton Beach. The gnats were unanticipated; they hit the beach suddenly and we had to react quickly and did our best to inform our guests. This issue was a beach-wide problem and we unfortunately had no control over the situation. I hope you'll accept our apology and give us another opportunity to provide you with an excellent stay.

Tom Cannizaro, GM
Great Falls, Virginia
Reviewed 29 June 2014

This was our second visit in 14 years. It has been updated and you can't beat the location - right on the beach and 15 minutes to Portsmouth. We were last here in the winter - this time for a wedding in Alton. Good location between Boston and Alton.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Boston
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We were attending a concert at the Casino Ballroom and wanted to get a room rather than drive all the way home. It turned out to be a great idea! Booking the room was easy and hassle free. Once we got there, check out was simple and the room was nice. We enjoyed our small balcony. The next day we wanted to check out and then spend a couple of hours at the beach before leaving. The valet was nice enough to hold onto our car for a couple of hours even though we had already checked out. Really nice on their part!

Litchfield, Connecticut
Reviewed 25 June 2014

For our annual girls weekend, we decided to stay at Ashworth by the Sea. We enjoyed our stay. We arrived on Friday, at 1:00 p.m. and luckily, we were allowed to check in early. They have vallet parking and the guys are super nice and help you unload your car. We had a room on the right side of the building (if you are facing it) with an ocean view. The balcony was triangular so it was pretty small - only two people could fit on it at a time. The other downer about the balcony design is that the wall with the air conditioner is actually your neighbor's wall. So at night, our neighbors were out on the balcony staying up late, chatting, and we could hear everything.

The hotel was clean and tidy. Updated bathrooms. You have to pay extra for a refrigerator ($10 per day) and you have to pay for the valet parking $15.00 per car. The fridge was worth it though as we stocked it with beverages and lunch/breakfast/snacks. We saved a lot of money on food that way.

The beach is literally across the street and it's out of the world. You can't beat that.

We had dinner at the hotel and it was very good. Our waiter was great and the service was very good. They also have a rooftop lunch space that has a view of the beach as well.

They have an indoor pool which was O.K. Nothing great - but it wasn't horrible.

I would recommend this facility and would probably go there again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends