“One Hotel I won't visit again!!”

Ashworth by the Sea
Ranked #3 of 41 Hotels in Hampton
New Hampshire
“One Hotel I won't visit again!!”
Reviewed 20 September 2010

VERY POOR HOUSEKEEPING SERVICES!!!!!!! It took 5+ calls to the front desk before everything was done in our room. We finally had to speak to the Mgr before we were satisfied and could enjoy our stay. For a 4-Star hotel, we were appalled to find an "OLD"-looking room, hallway ceilings in need of repair, stained carpets on the staircase, and a dirty pool area that was dank and dreary looking. The Only positive thing was the view from our room. Please visit hotel before booking!!!

• Stayed September 2010
1 Thank QueenBeeNewHampshire
Colwen_Management, General Manager at Ashworth by the Sea, responded to this review, 30 September 2010
Thank you for your comments regarding your most recent stay at the Ashworth by the Sea. While we are terribly disappointed that you were not satisfied with your stay, we do appreciate the feedback as we continually use reviews such as yours to help improve the overall guest experience.

As you experienced, the Ashworth is a shade under 100 years old and this has required us to make continuous improvements to the hotel over the last 5 years. We believe your experience was the exception and not the standard and hope that the next time you are in the Hampton area, you will give us another chance.

I sincerely apologize for your negative experience and we hope to see you soon.

Regards,

Peter Coutis, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
  • Polish first
Amherst, NH
Reviewed 20 September 2010

I was horrified to find out this room was supposed to be ready when I was given the key to go to the room at 3:00pm. I asked for a refrigerator and there was none in the room. Also no toilet paper, no tissues, no bath mats, no coffee & cups. The outside door screen was not attached, the chairs on the deck were very old and the mesh was broken and all covered with mold and mildew. I was in an ocean front room in the "newer" building but the place was very outdated, carpet was matted down, cigarette holes all over the two blankets. There were no extra blankets pillows or enough towels for three guests. There were only enough for two guests. The coffee maker was in the bathroom next to the toilet. Yum Yum! I am sure the board of health will approve of that! The pool was filthy on the bottom and on the stairs inside the pool. Do not be fooled or mislead by the website. This is a dumpy "motel" with very poor service and accomodations. I will not recommend this to anyone and I will never go there again. It was my first time and it will be my last.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
6 Thank Amherst_NHLadybug26
New York City, New York
Reviewed 17 September 2010

I traveled to Hampton Beach with some girlfriends to enjoy the annual Seafood Festival. I've stayed at the Ashworth by the Sea before, but some of it's charm had gone. I wasn't wowed as I had been in the past. The location is a key element to this property. The place was average for the money you pay for a room. There were no extra amenities given for that price; microwaves, fridges and dvd's were $10 per night! I wanted a beach experience but it seemed that the staff had already closed down for the season. At least when you go to a brand hotel you know the quality you will get for the overall stay. I'm just very disappointed but not surprised. One pleasant surprise was a nice girl at the Pizza shop, that let me relax with a hot cup of coffee, especially when it turned cold outside.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
Thompson, Connecticut
Reviewed 15 September 2010

We stayed at the Ashworth on Sept. 14, 2010, and even though it was off season we found the Ashworth to be very nice. The rooms were very clean and the staff was excellent to us. We had a ocean side view room and it was great to sit out on the private balcony and relax and listen to the ocean. We ate at their fine restaurant and found the food to be excellent, they also have the best strawberry margueritas. The room service was good too, all in all I have no complaints about the Ashworth and would recommend it to everyone. We did not have to do valet parking, we had free parking across the street and it was very convenient. The best part is it is right across from the beach for those romantic evening walks on the beach.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 September 2010

The bad news; the hotel needs a lot of work and is quite dated and the room really was not clean. I would never stay a holiday weekend again as the weekend rate is almost 400.00 and should be around 120.00. Also have to have car taken by valey which charges 7.00 a night and a refridg is 10.00 a night. The good news is the hotel is away from the arcade restaurants etc which is nice. Big spralling beach in front of you. The restaurant was not a 4 star but very pretty and comfortable food adequete and reasonably priced. The beds are very comfortable. Overall had a very nice stay.

Springfield, Mass
Reviewed 12 September 2010

For full rate, we were put in a cramped room which had a decrepit 2foot balcony over the kitchen vents which were loud and smelled of fry grease. The screen door was bent and would not close.
The valet parking , for which there is no alternative, was inconvenient and resulted in an unaccounted for scrape to my rear bumper..
The desk staff on check in day were not helpful or accomodating.
We did not use the pool as the water looked "murky".

2 Thank movinon65
Colwen_Management, General Manager at Ashworth by the Sea, responded to this review, 16 September 2010
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am truly concerned about the problems that you have experienced while staying at our hotel over the busy Labor Day weekend. We accommodate many guests each evening and constantly strive to make every one happy. Our principal goal at the Ashworth is to provide outstanding service to all guests at a proper price.

Please accept our deepest apologies and be assured that we will address all issues with the appropriate actions.

If you have any concerns regarding your vehicle or how it was handled at the hotel, please call me directly at 603-926-6762 x615

Peter Coutis, GM
Rensselaer
Reviewed 8 September 2010

Checked in in the middle of the week and the room still wasn't ready by 3.00 When we got to the room coffe maker was not there and ice bucket missing. Trash under the nightstand and dresser. (It was accesible with a vaccuum. 2 metal bars sticking out on one side of the bed.I must of hit my leg (and bruised) 10 times. It was a hit or miss on if you got packets of coffee for the next day or not. The coffee was so bad maybe it was a good idea to not leave me any. But when your paying 249.00 a nite, I want my coffee! Pool heater wasn't on. Ice machine on the floor broken, so constantly had to go to another floor. Yes they have valet parking, Rob is the only postive thing about the place. Reviewing my bill upon check out and they try to charge you $7.00 per car for parking. I could park in an overnite parking lot for 5.00! When I told them I made my reservations in January, they did remove the parking charge but still tried to get the extra 42.00 from me. They charge 10.00 a day for a microwave and Refrig each. We booked for 6 nites. The food in the resturant was good. But the waitress didn't know what the specials were and tried to charge regular price. I will gonext store to the charm of the Kentville, free popcorn, coffee, microwave and refrigerator, puzzes and a view of the ocean for half the cost. Sometimes you have to learn the hard way 1700.00 later...
Internet never worked correctly, blamed my computer but several people were complaining about it.

1 Thank lovehamptonbeach
Colwen_Management, General Manager at Ashworth by the Sea, responded to this review, 22 September 2010
Thank you for taking the time to bring these items to management's attention; we only wish that we had the chance to correct these issues while you were still staying with us. Let me apologize for the problems that you experienced while at the Ashworth.

Just a little background on the hotel, we were built in 1912 and as you can imagine, updating and maintaining a hotel with our history is a continuous process and something we have taken very seriously over the last 4 years. We continue to invest in the Ashworth and feedback such as yours will help us pinpoint the highest need areas and improve the Ashworth experience for all to come.

Many Thanks,

Peter Coutis, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hampton
Lamies Inn and The Old Salt Tavern
Hampton Village Resort
#17 of 41 in Hampton
Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa
Best Western Plus The Inn At Hampton

Been to Ashworth by the Sea? Share your experiences!