“Stay Elsewhere!”

Ranked #8 of 41 Hotels in Hampton
Exeter, NH
“Stay Elsewhere!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2013

Nothing good about this place. You get a room with two double beds but they only allow 2 people to stay in the room! Only allow you one parking spot as well. If you decide you want friends to come by after dinner to lounge their police-like security guard will wave a flashlight in their face and treat them like criminals. The rooms themselves smell like mold, the blankets are like cardboard and the bathroom is covered with living and dead ants. Disgusting place, really rude staff. Stay elsewhere please!

Room Tip: Nothing good about this place except maybe the pool.....
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Brayden T
MargMotelMgr, Manager at Marguerite Motel, responded to this review, 4 June 2013
Thank you Braydon for your feedback. I am sorry that you did not enjoy yourself as much as you would have liked to and that the property did not meet your HIGH expectations. In response to the comments you have included in your review I would like to provide the back story.

1) how many people were allowed in the room; when you made your reservation nearly 2 weeks in advance you were sent an email to indicate that the rate was for a double occupancy room and if it was different please let us know in advance and we would adjust it accordingly. In addition to our confirmation letter you received one from the online site (Booking.com) through where you made the reservation, on their site it clearly states that the room is maximum occupancy of 2Adults & 2Children. As a follow up to the number of people staying over you did indicate shortly after arrival that you may have another person stay over; as you indicated a friend that was going to the Dark Star Orchestra concert may not be fit to drive home and in reply we said it was OK and that we would deal with that in the morning. Not realizing that the once party of 2 was to become 3 and by morning you were a party 5 in a room that would definitely be too small for 4 adults, I wouldn't even attempt to put a family of 2Adults & 3Children in there knowing it would be too small a room for more than 4.

2) how many cars you were entitled to park on the property; in the same confirmation letter sent it clearly said we can guarantee one space per room.. Excuse me but we did our best to provide parking for your 2nd car; with the $15 you paid for the second car we rented space off-site to provide parking to a car for a room arriving later.

3) having guests after dinner; it was more like after the Dark Star Orchestra concert and it was well after 10PM since that is when our "police like security guard" starts his shift. If you recall the same confirmation letter sent when the reservation was made and in the house rules you were presented at check-in that the property adheres to quiet hours from 10PM to 8AM. we are serious about these hours since the majority of our guests are families and others looking to a quiet place to enjoy their vacation time.

4) the rooms smells like mold, bed linens were like cardboard and there were ants (dead & alive) in the bathroom; you checked into the room in the early afternoon hours, we even spoke on a few occasions between then and my departure from the property at 7PM, not once during these 4 -5 hours did you indicate that the room was not to your satisfaction. If you had we would have been able to accomplish several things. Most likely we would have moved you to a room that was suitable large enough for your party of 5, we would have made sure the room you moved to or even the one you were in was cleaned to a point where you would have been satisfied.

We do the best with what we have for information, if you had told us of these matters early enough during your stay we would have been glad to make things better. Our apologies for not meeting your HIGH expectations, but this was a 2 way street and early feedback provides for early solutions to resolve the problem.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2013

Group of friends had annual gathering for a concert. This year was for ZZ Top concert. Close to Casino Ballroom. Close to beach, restaurants and great walking. Relatively quiet and very clean. Good parking. Great staff and manager.

Room Tip: Liked the second floor porch
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ziff_75
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2012

Bunch of us stayed here for the Smuttynose Rockfest. Rooms and bathrooms were very clean and tidy. Cable TV worked fine. Staff were friendly and helpful.

The amenities were lacking a bit. As others have mentioned lack of coffee or coffee makers, locks on the doors and some sort of wifi would make this place even better.

Room Tip: Office side tended to be quieter especially when a show is at the Ballroom. The side opposite the of...
Allenstown, New Hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2012

I got a room here for one night only to attend a show at the Casino Ballroom. The price was right (off season) and it was an easy walk to the club and the beach. The room was clean as was the bathroom. There was no ice machine available and the bag I purchased from the office was frozen into a solid block, I would purchase it elsewhere next time. There was no wi-fi, which was not a problem for this visit, but had I been staying longer it is something I would have wanted to have available. The only thing that really bothered me was there was no security lock on the door. As a woman traveling with my sister, I would have felt a little better about the stay had there been one. One other thing I found a little strange was there was no alarm clock in the room, there was music available thru the cable tv and perhaps there was a timer on the tv also to wake to. I never cared enough to check, but it's something I did notice. That being said, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again, especially for other events at Hampton Beach, for longer stays I would perhaps spend a little more for better amenities.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Tewksbury, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2012

We were welcomed right away. We were in town for the Smutty Beer race. Rooms were clean. Althought I did expect shampoo, lotion in the rooms there was none, you get used to traveling without it. COFFEE would of been great in the room or in the office when you are in town for something special like a race. Over all we would go back now we know what we need to bring.

Belchertown, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2012

I brought my two teenage daughters to Hampton Beach and we stayed only 1 night at the Marguerite. I was surprised to find right off the bat that they didn't offer WiFi! Offering that service would have been helpful in our trying to plan activities for our trip! I have nothing negative to say about the way we were greeted. Girls and I went up to the room and did find it very outdated. The bedding was old and carpets didn't seem very clean. My biggest complaint was when I went into the bathroom! The bathroom sink had black hair all inside of it and the floor had black hair and the shower curtain had hair all on it. It appeared that the guest before us was shedding quite a bit and it wasn't cleaned properly after they checked out! There were wrappers in the trash can in the bathroom and then to top it all off, I'm in the shower and I look up to find a spider had been killed and smeared down the wall with the body and legs down the wall! It was pretty disgusting and for the 147.00 I paid for the 1 night we stayed there, I feel the trash can should have least been emptied before we checked in!

Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2012

I must be getting older because I still can't believe that we have to pay almost $200 a night for an ok place to sleep in Hampton Beach. Marguerite proved to be a well run motel with enough rules in place to keep it family-friendly. The room was outdated but clean and well-maintained. The flat screenTV and cable was new but slightly challenging to figure out how to use.

Lack of WiFi and a hospitality area (aka cup of coffee!) erked me due to the rate of the room.

Overall, it's a decent place to stay with a good location (one block from the beach and boardwalk). I think for the money I'll try other places that offer a beach view and a cup of coffee in the morning but I wouldn't hesitate to stay again if I needed to.

Room Tip: Higher floors feel secure but remember - no elevators in Hampton:)
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family