“Quite the surprise!”

Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
MA
“Quite the surprise!”
Reviewed 26 May 2013

We renovated a beach house nearby and spent many days on the way to the big box hardware store and passed the 401 many times. But never went in. Our partners finally took us there during NH restaurant week. It was pretty crowded for 2 pm and parking at the location is pretty miserable, but there is a public lot just down the street with ample parking, so no big deal. A short walk.

My husband had the Rueben and pronounced it the best he'd ever had (and he's very picky). I had the Haddock Sliders and thought I'd died and gone to heaven! Perfect portion of fish on fresh baked, yummy slider rolls. My only pick was that the cheese on it wasn't necessary. They had a $15 4 course lunch, which our friend had, that was very generous and very good. I'll definitely go back!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Calypso19

Seabrook, New Hampshire
“Yuck yuck yuck”
Reviewed 20 March 2013

I got a salad...honestly, how can you mess up a salad???
My sister in law had a burger, which she seemed to enjoy.
Parking has always been a nightmare here.
The staff doesnt seem to care if you come thru the doors or not.
All the money comes from the bar...not the foods.

• Visited April 2012
2 Thank tbcllc1
NH
“Food great - atmosphere not great this time”
Reviewed 17 March 2013

The martini menu at the 401 needs to be updated. They haven't had anything changed on there for a while and they don't have anything I liked any more.

The Tapas menu is always our favorite because of the variety we got. We had the Havana Shrimp with a lime citrus kick to it, nice crostini and huge grilled shrimp. The Seafood chowder had a nice flavor, not too think and had a lot of meat in it. The Blue Cheese scallops had way too much blue cheese on them - it was coated and I had to scrape it off.

The scallop and lobster Ravioli special was very bland. There was no sauce inside and the sauce on the outside tasted like paste.

We had a poor table upstairs sitting outside of the kitchen door. It was noisy and we got to experience poor service while the staff all visited outside the kitchen and ignored our putting menus down and waiting while they chatted.

The bar tender was great - polite and came over to us even though we weren't at the bar. I didn't appreciate the rudeness of the hostess who has likely been there a long time. I don't mind being told to pay my bar bill before I go upstairs if its done with a smile and patience. She was rude and no smile at all like it was our fault we hadn't paid yet and our table was ready. We didn't even have the check yet!

But it's local and we could have made a reservation to get one of the booths or a better table. We will go back as the food is good and being close to home is always better.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank CandyNh
Hampton, New Hampshire, United States
“the most comfortable warm place in Hampton”
Reviewed 1 March 2013

yes the food at 401 is always amazing with the specials tapas and we dont need french fries but we also go there because of the service and people that work there its so local and so fun we are treated local dave makes everyone laugh and we always want to come back

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank judyculkin
Hampton, New Hampshire
“Great food shame about the bartender.”
Reviewed 21 February 2013

Me and my wife visted the 401 recently after hearing some great things about the place. We sat at the quiet bar on a busy Saturday night and had a nice meal. We ordered of the Tapas menu ( starters) and were very impressed, I had the Burger for my main course which was cooked perfecly although it could of done with some fries (which they do not offer). Our expierence would of been very pleasent if it had not been for the bartender who was supposed to be assisting us. He told us his name was Dave ( that was pretty much all he told us) and for the hour we stayed we had to listen to his crude jokes, far too many details about his personal life etc. He seemed far more interested talking to his freinds and seemed to treat it like a night out rather than working. At one point we even saw him taking a shot. We were often left with empty glasses and there seemed to be little communication between him and the other bartender.
The food was great and so was the beer but Unfortunately the same can not be said about the bartender. He made us feel unwelcome, uncomfortable and shortened our visit with his crude jokes and what appeared to be drunken behavior. Shame.

• Visited January 2013
3 Thank John_S46111

Been to The 401 Tavern? Share your experiences!