“Just added to our restaurant rotation!”
Review of Bonta - CLOSED

Bonta
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed 16 July 2013

first time last week...we live close so we gave it a try...very inviting exterior and warmly decorated interior you feel comfortable once seated...we were warmly greeted by the hostess and manager upon entering...once at our table the service could not have been better...the menu is not overwhelming with choices...we started with drinks me a Martini extra dry extra olives, they got the extra dry but two olives are not IMHO extra, three is the minimum for extra olives...bread and water followed..olive oil for the bread...appetizer was muscles in white wine and butter with four grilled pieces of bread...these were very good and enough to feed us both...salads are a la carte i had Caesar and they offered anchovies to me which make a Caesar ....on to the entrees...i had duck and she salmon...she throughly enjoyed her fish and i the medallions of duck breast...i think it came with mashed potatoes as there was a white substance coating the bottom of the dish...i found on my plate a small hard stone like substance that we concluded was a duck bone ... a little unnerving but no deal was made of it...wines by the glass a pinot noir and a pinot grigio both adequate ....a pleasant experience that will bring us back

Reviewed 12 July 2013

Wonderfully trained staff! Very VERY clean. Pleasant atomosphere. We appreciated the manager coming to our table and checking on us! The food was beyond delicious! I had the Pan Seared Scallopd.. which were incredibly fresh! The sauce was to die for. Definitely coming back!

Reviewed 9 July 2013

Bonta is trying to be an Italian restaurant with modified menu. The atmosphere is outstanding. Lighting is beautiful, muted decor and an inviting staff in formal attire, the expectation of a five-star meal was soon to be diminished. The waitress was pleasant but not that attentive. She did not call attention to any of the restaurant's specialties, neither explained the menu. We ordered appetizers and it was quite a while before they all came. When they did, we were underwhelmed. Our entrees took a relatively long time to come too.
Can't put a finger on why the food just doesn't sweep me off my feet as expected for what they charge. All entries are plain with sides a la cart. Four scallops with sauce do not make an entry in an Italian restaurant (maybe French). The service is efficient but not par for the cost. The drinks are overpriced for the area. Paying Boston or New York prices with no view is a sin. I really wanted to love this place as it is convenient and there are not many fine dining options outside of Portsmouth, but I just can't give more than a few stars to food that is only OK and service that is not friendly and attentive.

Reviewed 11 June 2013

This is truly an exceptional restaurant for the area. There are many great restaurants in nearby Portsmouth but if you want a break from the busy downtown area this is the place. Food: Great quality and selection with a menu that changes frequently enough that you want to keep going back. From the unique bread basket and assortment of butter or oil, to the fun and unique desert options. We have dined here several times and it is consistently great food. Service: also excellent and paced well. The bartender is knowledgeable and all staff are friendly. They are busy but the atmosphere is still very pleasant, layout and décor is warm and inviting. great for couples or families celebrating a special event. You should always try to make a reservation. I have never been kept waiting when I had a reservation. Only negative is they are closed on Mondays!

Reviewed 22 April 2013

My husband and I tried Bonta for our date night on Saturday and could not have been more impressed. He called in the afternoon for a reservation and they were able to accommodate us for that night. I would definitely recommend a reservation.

The food was beyond amazing here! We split an appetizer & salad, then each ordered an entrée. The portion size is not large, but that is fine with me. We were both full but not uncomfortable. The quality of food was excellent - we cleaned our plates! You can tell the manager or owner (Italian accent, complete gentleman) takes pride in this establishment. We saw him visit every table to make sure everyone was enjoying their experience. We cannot wait to go back!