“Wedding food!”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed 28 December 2013

I have always thought the dining room at Bonta was one of the loveliest anywhere. It is elegant and intimate, with its use of wood, paints walls and the charming fireplace in the middle of the room.
We have had mixed feelings about the food, and on this visit were completely dissatisfied.
We began with an antipasto, which was heavy on the artisan cheeses, and light on the vegetables.
The entrees were a great disappointment, which we both felt were of the quality one would expect at a wedding reception, my dining partner ordered the pancetta stuffed chicken breast, which was a pre-made breast stuffed with breadcrumbs and chopped pancetta. It was dry, plain and very boring.
I ordered a medium sirloin with a reduction sauce, and when I cut into it, the meat was not even rare, it was purple! It was served with fingerling potatoes and broccoli rabe, very uninspired.
My dining companion ordered a drink, and was served something different, and when he requested it be returned, the bartender informed him that the requested liquor was not available, so he substituted!
A once wonderful restaurant has become run of the mill, how sad

1  Thank Harold B

Reviewed 6 October 2013

I write this with mixed emotions and wish I could have given a better rating. After years of wanting to try Bonta, I finally had my chance for my birthday this year. We had 7:30 reservations on a Friday and showed a half hour early; to our surprise we were sat immediately. The staff is friendly and our waiter (Jeremy) was excellent and very attentive. We started with the Calamari Fritti which was very good and a few cocktails which were on the strong side. For the Entrée’s my girl had the Lamb Shank, excellent and I went with the Breaded Veal Cutlet which was just dry and no frills (needs a sauce) with weak sides. Followed up with the dessert Specials (Delivered by Executive Chef Dan, thank you), my girl went with a pumpkin filled with spiced cake, again excellent. I on the other hand went with the Brioche empanada’s filled with chocolate and I believe berry compote, the dish was lacking something and was bland.
Overall the atmosphere is romantic and cozy, service was excellent but the hostess and an older gentleman walking the floor came across very pretentious. Mixed emotions on the food, just needs a fw teaks.

1  Thank Cheffrey
Reviewed 19 July 2013

This was the 4th or 5th visit we've made to Bonta. An excellent--and I'm using the word advisedly--restaurant relative to the area. Food, service, atmosphere all strong. My wife always has the fish and she's extremely fussy about freshness, and Bonta is her favorite restaurant. The place is not inexpensive, but, simply stated, it's worth it.

Reviewed 16 July 2013

first time last week...we live close so we gave it a try...very inviting exterior and warmly decorated interior you feel comfortable once seated...we were warmly greeted by the hostess and manager upon entering...once at our table the service could not have been better...the menu is not overwhelming with choices...we started with drinks me a Martini extra dry extra olives, they got the extra dry but two olives are not IMHO extra, three is the minimum for extra olives...bread and water followed..olive oil for the bread...appetizer was muscles in white wine and butter with four grilled pieces of bread...these were very good and enough to feed us both...salads are a la carte i had Caesar and they offered anchovies to me which make a Caesar ....on to the entrees...i had duck and she salmon...she throughly enjoyed her fish and i the medallions of duck breast...i think it came with mashed potatoes as there was a white substance coating the bottom of the dish...i found on my plate a small hard stone like substance that we concluded was a duck bone ... a little unnerving but no deal was made of it...wines by the glass a pinot noir and a pinot grigio both adequate ....a pleasant experience that will bring us back

Reviewed 12 July 2013

Wonderfully trained staff! Very VERY clean. Pleasant atomosphere. We appreciated the manager coming to our table and checking on us! The food was beyond delicious! I had the Pan Seared Scallopd.. which were incredibly fresh! The sauce was to die for. Definitely coming back!