“Hidden Hampton”

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Geneva, Illinois
“Hidden Hampton”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

A great place with a huge open dinning area right off of the bar. Good friendly service and excellent entree's. I had the scallops special and the peanut butter desert both were awesome selections. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting the Hampton, NH area.

• Visited April 2014

“Mixed bag for sure”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We ate at the bar and ordered 4 items off the bar menu. Service was on the slow side even though it was a weeknight and not busy. We had "slow roasted meatballs" 4 on the plate. Nothing special at all. And they were barely warm. Kind of room temp. "Crispy mozzarella balls" (3) on a slice of roasted tomato. They weren't crispy. They seemed just to be rolled in bread crumbs and also just room temperature but probably they wouldn't be served hot. Not anything I would ever order again. Next were the shrimp with lemon butter and grilled bread. Shrimp (4) were so-so and sitting on top of a slim slice of bread that was wet and soggy. Again…just not great. Last was the mini salmon with spinach. That was the highlight and the only thing I would order again. The "Lamb lollipops" on the bar menu looked great and the people that ordered them at the bar seemed to really like them. They came with a small arugula salad on the plate and could have been a whole meal for someone that eats light. None of the items we ordered could have been a meal. In fact we shared 4 different dishes and felt they just barely satisfied our hunger even though we ate all the bread in the bread basket which consisted of a couple of slices of nothing special bread along with some flat kind of interesting cracker-bread things. It came with a tray of three toppings. Butter, sundried tomato paste, and an oil that tasted like Mazola. So…..not bad but not really good. Hence the 3 stars. It's been there for a while so it must be doing something right but not enough to warrant making it a destination restaurant for us.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank tobywinter
Kensington, N.H.
“Wedding food!”
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

I have always thought the dining room at Bonta was one of the loveliest anywhere. It is elegant and intimate, with its use of wood, paints walls and the charming fireplace in the middle of the room.
We have had mixed feelings about the food, and on this visit were completely dissatisfied.
We began with an antipasto, which was heavy on the artisan cheeses, and light on the vegetables.
The entrees were a great disappointment, which we both felt were of the quality one would expect at a wedding reception, my dining partner ordered the pancetta stuffed chicken breast, which was a pre-made breast stuffed with breadcrumbs and chopped pancetta. It was dry, plain and very boring.
I ordered a medium sirloin with a reduction sauce, and when I cut into it, the meat was not even rare, it was purple! It was served with fingerling potatoes and broccoli rabe, very uninspired.
My dining companion ordered a drink, and was served something different, and when he requested it be returned, the bartender informed him that the requested liquor was not available, so he substituted!
A once wonderful restaurant has become run of the mill, how sad

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Harold B
Eliot, Maine
“A Birthday Bust!”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I write this with mixed emotions and wish I could have given a better rating. After years of wanting to try Bonta, I finally had my chance for my birthday this year. We had 7:30 reservations on a Friday and showed a half hour early; to our surprise we were sat immediately. The staff is friendly and our waiter (Jeremy) was excellent and very attentive. We started with the Calamari Fritti which was very good and a few cocktails which were on the strong side. For the Entrée’s my girl had the Lamb Shank, excellent and I went with the Breaded Veal Cutlet which was just dry and no frills (needs a sauce) with weak sides. Followed up with the dessert Specials (Delivered by Executive Chef Dan, thank you), my girl went with a pumpkin filled with spiced cake, again excellent. I on the other hand went with the Brioche empanada’s filled with chocolate and I believe berry compote, the dish was lacking something and was bland.
Overall the atmosphere is romantic and cozy, service was excellent but the hostess and an older gentleman walking the floor came across very pretentious. Mixed emotions on the food, just needs a fw teaks.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Cheffrey
Epping, New Hampshire
“A genuinely pleasant experience”
Reviewed 19 July 2013

This was the 4th or 5th visit we've made to Bonta. An excellent--and I'm using the word advisedly--restaurant relative to the area. Food, service, atmosphere all strong. My wife always has the fish and she's extremely fussy about freshness, and Bonta is her favorite restaurant. The place is not inexpensive, but, simply stated, it's worth it.

• Visited July 2013