“Too many other places to stay”

Regal Inn of Hampton Beach
Ranked #35 of 41 Hotels in Hampton
Reviewed 12 July 2009

To book this trip to the Regal was scarey from the start. I had rented 3 rooms here last year without incident., so we decided to go back. When booking the lady was very vague and hard to understand. I asked for a confirmation # and she said there was none, so I asked her to mail me a confirmation receipt to prove my reservation, as I booked 6 weeks in advance there was plenty of time for such, and she said they do not do that. I then asked what proof I would have that I booked? She said " Because I tell you now that you are" Ok, so I booked. My credit card statement came a few weeks later with the deposit charge on it, but yet it was the ENTIRE amount billed in advance, not common practice, nor legal, so I called, she said not to worry, i would be all set, and if I cancelled the trip she would refund my credit card. Very nerve wracking !!!
We went, we arrived and were told they were behind in cleaning the rooms so we'd have to wait another 2 hours, check in is at 2pm, we had to wait until 4pm. We parked our car and walked to a restaurant, at 4 we went back, only to find the office empty but our room keys on the counter with the room #'s and our names written on a piece of paper ! ( Talk about the privacy act going out the window) Anyone could have seen not only our names but which rooms we were in, we were so shocked, but no one was around to even complain to.
We entered our rooms, 1 of which was dirty. The bed matress literally had springs coming thru and the kitchen area was a mess. The coffee maker filter had mold growing in it, ( thankfully ,i travel with my own maker in case the isn't one in the room) Now mold does not grow over night, therefore this soiled filter basket had to have been neglected over quite a period of time, and there were 8 plates, but no other bowls, cups , glasses, or flat ware. the plates were dirty in the cabinet. The bathroom was clean enough , however, the roll of toilet paper on the dispenser has "brown stuff" smeared all over the side of it. We shudder to think what IT was. We had brought our own TP so we used ours. After a few hours I boiled about these things so I went to the office, the worker on duty was in the pool, so I waited, when she came in I showed her the tp roll and the coffee filter holder, I didn't yell, just showed her, she actually thanked me for being nice as other customers who complained that day were very mean to her about it. OTHER"S THAT DAY? Oh boy, this said it all!! She wrote a note for the owner and left the 2 items w the note.
The next day while at the beach housekeeping came in and left a cleaned filter basket but no TP.
Then there was barely any hall way outdoor lighting on our ENTIRE floor. I had to "steal " a lightbulb from a fixture outside an unoccupied room just to have some light outside of our room. I counted the rooms on our wing, there were 2 bulbs for 7 rooms, on the wing behind us there were also 2 bulbs for 7 rooms, all others were blown out. The stair wells had places for 4 bulbs each, each had only 1 or 2. Awful ! We didnt DARE venture up to the 3rd floor to see what they had for lighting.
Then to make it worse, the lights automatically GO OFF @ 2 am. This is too early for this, alot of folks on vacation are still out @ 2 am, having to come back to complete darkness.
Then there were tenants on our floor, a woman and 2 teenage boys. We assumed by their mannerisms and speech they were all of special needs. They were there alone, and every evening yelling and screaming at eachother. Locking the woman out of the room, throwning things at eachother, trash etc. The hallway outside of their room was full of trash that you had to maneuver over to get by in the DARK . She was swearing and threatening them. Their room we could see into as we walked by and it was an utter disaster area. You could not even see the floor it was so covered with trash. This disruptive behavior went on EVERY night and the office was closed so we had no way to complain. Nor did we want to call the police due to their being special needs we didnt want them in trouble , we just wanted them to be quiet.
So after 3 nights we decided it best to just leave there, we packed up and left 3 days early. When checking out @ 10 pm , we weren't even asked why we were leaving early, we were just told, ok leave the keys on the counter. Another family was also leaving at this time, so I asked them why. The lady said they cannot take the filth nor can they take the people on our floor. She also said another family left early a few hours ago because of the same thing.
It's amazing how a place can really go to pot after 1 year. 2008 was fine.
i guess we just find another place to stay becasue we paid $180 per night at the Regal, i can certainly find another place to stay for similar rates and get better results.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
5  Thank jennydecinco

Reviewed 11 August 2008

I use to stay at the Regal Inn all the time (prior to having children) but hadn't been there in several years. When I was taking the family to Hampton Beach overnight it was a no brainer - The Regal Inn. But what a mistake it was. First, we arrived and there was no parking for our car. Then,when we checked in, the front desk clerk told us the room was $100.00 a night. Then she proceeded to say that they "run your card" through a second time in case the key is lost or there is any damage to your room. If there aren't any issues, there is no charge to your account. Wrong. We checked out on time, returned the key and there was no damage to the room however, I just got my monthly statement and there is an extra charge for $46.00. I called The Regal Inn and was told it was my mistake and that the room rate is $135.00 a night plus tax. Not the $100.00 a night that I have a receipt for. (I'll be disputing that with my credit card company, now back to the review). We got to the room and it was dirty and looked like it hadn't been updated in years. The telephone was ripped out of the wall and the air conditioner was broken. It was TERRIBLE to say the least. I would drive home to Massachusetts before ever staying at The Regal Inn again.

Very Unhappy-

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank FireEmtTom
Reviewed 14 July 2008

I went to Hampton beach with my two sisters, mother and father. We rented a spacious apartment with kitchen with decent size dinning area for 5 days. We had a wonderful time at the beach at Regal Inn. We enjoyed the pool and hot tub very much. I would recommend to any one.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 July 2007

I loved staying at the Regal inn. The pool was heated and it was always clean, and the rooms where so comfortable. The kids just adored the place and i plan on coming back next year.

1  Thank jrrykin52
Reviewed 15 July 2007

I have two regrets here. I wish I used [--] like I always do and I wish I knew of TripAdvisor before I booked the place.

I was looking for a room at Hampton Beach and came across the Regal Inn's website. It had a lovely picture of a clean room and claimed to have friendly, helpful staff, and the best pool on Hampton beach. There was no picture of the pool, but the photo of the hot tub was gorgeous, like a spa, so I called and booked a room.

This could not have been further from the truth! When we arrived at the Regal we were greeted by a huge overflowing, fly infested pile of trash, not in the back behind a fence, but right by the front door where you have to park. With some trepidation we entered the lobby , it was tacky. The woman behind the counter was not friendly as stated, but terse, grabbed our credit card, and charged us for our three nights stay in advance. She pointed to an accordion door next to the desk and said that the jacuzzi was behind there, if we wanted to use it. I peaked inside, the room was tiny, dark and had no windows. The hot tub looked nasty and I decided right then, that we would not use it at all.

We reluctantly took our key and went to the room. What we found then was even worse! The room stunk of cigarette smoke, even though the sign proudly stated that the hotel was a smoke free esablishment. The beds looked ancient and the bedding was dingy and dirty. The picture on the wall above the tv was broken the glass was sharred and spider-webbed. The lamp on the night stand was broken also, it's shade hung crookedly and it would not turn on. The room was devoid of the usual amenities. There was no coffeemaker, no alarm clock, it didn't even contain a Bible from the Gideons!

I was tired from a full day at the water park and was dying to shower off the chlorine, so I headed for the bathroom. Unfortunately it was dirty and had no toiletries. A pile of towels sat folded on a table by the bathroom door. I reached over to get one, only to find that they were sopping wet! Who folds a wet towel and leaves it in a room for their guest? Do you suppose they were the ones from the previous tenant? My husband grabbed them all and headed for the front desk to get new ones. A few minutes later he came back with dry ones, although I wasn't thrilled with them either.

We decided just to dump our bags and go to dinner because I was sick of hearing the kids complain, they were calling it the roach motel. When we got back from dinner, my husband grabbed a dirty pillow, and went down to find the terse woman again and complain.

"You can't expect us to check all the rooms" she said, and offered to move us to one upstairs, we looked at it, but it was just as bad as the first one. We finally decided that we couldn't possibly stay there and asked for a refund. It was then that we were told about the 48 hour cancellation policy and that we couldn't get our money back.

My husband called the owner, but he was unreasonable too. So we left, and found ourselves driving to Portsmouth at ten pm looking for a hotel with a vacancy. We found a clean, comfortable hotel, with an indoor pool, lovely clean jacuzzi and free continental breakfast, all for just a few dollars more than the stink hole we just left. In short, the Regal isn't very regal at all!

7  Thank dad1001
Reviewed 15 July 2007

We stayed at Regal Inn during first week of July. The rooms are great and the view from the third floor was excellent. Our three small children had such a great time that they did not want to go home. So we booked the room for additional three days. Our next door visitor were staying there for two weeks. They said they loved the Jacuzzi room. it is nice place and we will come back next year.

Stayed: July 2007
Reviewed 6 July 2007

If I had read the reviews prior to going to Regal Inn, I would have never gone. But me and my family I had a wonderful trip there. The owner was friendly, at the desk and accommodated us well. She reccommended ideas for the kids and great restaurants around the area. The rooms were nice and clean. Overall very enjoyable.

2  Thank Mcadams