“Good food, generous portions”

Little Jacks's Seafood Restaurant and Lobster Pool
Ranked #19 of 117 Restaurants in Hampton
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Reviewed 19 August 2014

This was our first visit to this restaurant. I got the baked haddock and my wife got the crab cakes (both platters). Both dinners were well prepared and the portions were generous. You order outside and then go inside and wait for your order number to be called. Meanwhile you can enjoy the nautical and sea exhibits decorating the restaurant.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

We stopped in after a day at the beach and had a great meal. It isn't your regular sit down and be waited on type restaurant as you order and pay from an outside window and then find a table either inside or on one of their outside decks until they call your number.
We had our seafood (they have other choices, but while at the beach you HAVE to have seafood right?) on the front deck and it was great.
The only problem that I could find was that they have wait staff on the deck to clean off the tables or help with anything that you may need, but they walk around the tables when they have nothing to do and it feels like you're in a prison and they are the guards making sure that you don't shank anyone!
All in all, it's a great spot!

Reviewed 13 August 2014

You order at a window at this popular restaurant. Large menu of seafood, great soups, and big portions of food. Lots of charming rooms at this sprawling restaurant for you to eat in.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

If atmosphere and setting are important to you, you might be very satisfied here. There is a main dining room downstairs, a smaller one to the side - near the restrooms, an even smaller one upstairs and a large open deck with views of the sea and marshes. There are also picnic tables outside on a lawn if that is what you want.
Food is ordered outside, under a covered but open porch, kind of like take-out. They serve beer, wine and cocktails but these need to be ordered just inside the door. Interestingly it was the same person who took our order in both locations!.
We ordered the small size clam chowder for three, one calamari dinner and two fish and chip dinners, although I requested rice instead of fries.
We were given three empty cups on a tray, told to take them to the lobster pound station, inside and next to the order pickup station, which was right next to the bar station.
The weather was nice so we walked up the long flight of stairs to the deck, it was really pleasant up there. Some tables had umbrellas, we chose one without, right next to the front rail, so we could see the ocean.
Now for the food report. We all agreed the clam chowder was not the best. It passed the "thickness" test in that our plastic spoons stood up. I thought I tasted a little cheese, I also noticed pieces of celery which I don't usually see, the pieces of clam were tiny. My wife appreciated that there were not big chunks of potato, which is something we often see. Our grandson had the impression it came out of a can.
Our grandson really liked the calamari dinner, saying the rings were easy to chew and not as rubbery as often found. He said he really liked them but though there was a bit too much batter.
My wife and I had the smaller portion fish and chips dinners, we were pleasantly surprised with two good pieces of haddock on each plate, nice looking batter crust. I felt, however, that the fish was just barely cooked (I'm typically a "well done" kind of guy), it seemed a bit too slippery for me. My wife and grandson thought their fries were OK. I asked for rice, got something that was not white rice, not rice pilaf and not fried rice, it seemed like some kind of Mexican rice with corn and onions. The meals came with cole slaw, as usual, which was tasty enough. I don't know if it was the quantity or quality of the food, but each of us only got through half of our meals.
Now for redeeming qualities. They have attendants, not servers, who are very friendly and helpful. We asked for take home boxes, they produced them right away. Then one came over to clear our table and while there asked if we needed a bag for them, he went off and got one also right away.
The décor of the inside dining rooms is very nautical, very "beachy'. My wife and I agreed it would be pleasant to sit in the smaller one and enjoy a cocktail or two as long as it wasn't crowded --but maybe skip the food.
As we were getting in the car my grandson asked, "Can we please never go back there again?"
Keep in mind this restaurant will probably close soon after Labor Day. There have been spans of years when it was not operated at all. I don't know if it's the same owners who just take complete summers off or if it frequently changes hands.

Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

My family has been here 3 summers in a row and they run out of prime rib everytime. Not sure if we go too late or if they don't cook enough of it. Friendly staff, good food, prices average and good atmosphere.