“Best Clam Chowder on the planet”

The Old Salt Restaurant at Lamie's Inn
Ranked #1 of 117 Restaurants in Hampton
Price range: US$5 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Bar
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 11 August 2014

This is right up there with the best restaurants I have ever eaten at. The service is impeccable. The food and prices incredible and my oh my the clam chowder and their home made rolls. We generally eat there at least three times during our week long stay at Pebble Cove Motel......another incredible Gem. The early bird dinners are excellent. From 3 until 5 Mon-Friday, the have at least 9 entrée selections along with soup and dessert for $13.95!!!! I can never finish the meal and end up taking home the dessert every time. The haddock au gratin is fantastic as is all their seafood.. This place has it all, fantastic food, fantastic service and fantastic prices.

1  Thank Eileen D

Reviewed 9 August 2014

None better for overall dining and especially the baked stuffed Lobster. While I live in the west now, I always make sure to stop at the Old Salt whenever I am back in New England. This is one of two of my must stops when I am back there.

1  Thank Overgaardsman
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Our 2nd annual trip to Hampton NH, and our dinner, lunch, and breakfast were included in our package when we stayed at Lamie Inn.
I love to cook & back, so I am a very hard customer to impress. Have to say that the steak tips that I ordered for dinner were cooked to perfection, as was the baked potato, and veggies. Not only was the flavor of the tips delicious, it was tender too.

The next day for lunch I had the potato skins & chicken tenders with honey buffalo sauce were some of the best I have ever had.
For dessert, I had a chocolate torte. It was hands down, THE best I have ever had!

We were seated promptly, and our waitresses both meals were friendly, and made us feel welcomed.

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

As a local resident, I've dined at the old salt many times. Now, I don't eat seafood, so I always order something non fishy from the menu. Most everything is fried on the menu...always has been probably always will be. So unless you want a salad or a sandwich... you're probably going to end up with something fried. I usually get a chicken Caesar salad. The size is good. There's a good dressing to salad ratio! However.... The romaine lettuce is NEVER cut up enough. I always end up needing a knife to cut up my leaves which is frustrating. It's not that hard to break apart lettuce in the kitchen :) it's just a little thing that really bugs me, paying over 10 dollars for a salad and having to cut it up myself. The atmosphere is nice and cozy there. The bar is nicely decorated with lots of nautical stuff and pictures from Hamptons past. My favorite time to go is in the summer so I can sit out on the deck! Winter is nice too when the fire place inside is lit up. I've had good visits and bad visits with the wait staff... so that's hit or miss. I've had waitresses that barely acknowledged us as a customer before, which is pretty unfortunate. The old salt is a piece of Hampton history, they should hire staff that wants to be there and enjoys their job. I have also been to the Sunday brunch they do. That is the best brunch around in my opinion! So much food...and an amazing chocolate fountain! So all in all, the old salt is good. I think I enjoy the place itself more than the food though... There should be more "land lover" options.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Had lunch, cup of chowder, very tasty but the thick kind. I prefer the thinner chowder. Had the luncheon special of haddock with lobster sauce. Nicely done. I don't usually get any seafood with a sauce but this was very good. The haddock was fresh and flaky despite the sauce.