“Excellent location, great price!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hampton
The Grayhurst Hotel
Ranked #8 of 41 Hotels in Hampton
Reviewed 19 July 2013

We have stayed a The Grayhurst twice now and both times it has been excellent. You can't beat the location, it is by far the best! Also, they give you a parking pass that guarantees you a spot at a lot not 1 minute away. Owners Ken and Donna are very friendly and accommodating. Very good rates and very clean as well. We will definitely be back next year!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MelissaA250

Reviewed 23 June 2013

The beach, the arcades, the boardwalk, shops and more are outside your door at the historic Grayhurst Hotel. We wanted to have a New England beach experience and we got it. Concierge Ken and Miss Donna went out of their way to make us feel welcome, point us in the right direction for authentic New England lobster and definitely added value to our trip. Next time, we'll fit in a concert. Thank you Ken and Donna!
The Mizers from way out west in Idaho

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jackie0825
Reviewed 23 June 2013

My wife and I wanted to spend just one Friday night at the beach to celebrate our anniversary. I was recommended to contact Ken at the Grayhurst Hotel. Wouldn't you know, he was able to accommodate us?
FYI, at this time of year just about all hotels demand a three night minimum. I realize we were lucky, but suspect that is probably because he had given someone else the same break.
As most reviewers note, the property is very clean. Our room had A/C, a microwave, refrigerator and flat screen TV. Bathrooms are 3/4 size (shower, no tub); like some business hotels the sink is outside the bathroom. I personally don't like that set up, but it is fairly common. They do provide a hair dryer. One thing I must say is our room was the smallest hotel room I have ever stayed in, probably rivaling those we've heard about in Europe, but we were able to move around.
The enclosed back yard has a table with umbrella, lounge chairs and rockers. There is a gas barbecue which I think might be available to those interested in grilling, also a picnic table.
Above a cute garden area is a clothes line for drying bathing suits and towels.
There is a covered front porch which is fine for "people watching" and, I guess, relaxing out doors when the weather is a bit "inclement". While we were there the weather was perfect!
Assigned parking is in the big public lot down the street and across Ashworth Avenue, so make sure you have everything you need when you check in. You don't want to have to walk back and forth too often.
Close by is "Sharkey's Beach Bite" which seems to be a welcoming, cozy restaurant/bar which we didn't patronize, but you might like to know they serve breakfast as well as lunch and dinner and, also, provide some pretty good music, both live and recorded.
The hotel is right next to the Casino Complex and reasonably close to the sand. Just around the corner to the right is the Boardwalk Restaurant, our favorite beach dining spot. All this makes the Grayhurst super convenient!
The owner, Ken, is very cordial and hospitable, he unexpectedly grabbed our bags and took them to our room. He is a real "hands on" proprietor. He specifically asked us to leave our beach chairs and umbrella outside in a designated area and asked us to spray our feet before entering the building, not a big deal. You'll see him from time to time walking around, asking how everything is.
Ken's attitude seems to rub off on his guests because we spoke with several others who seemed very friendly and approachable. In other, bigger, beach hotels this is not the case.
The property does not have an ice maker, so if you need immediate cooling of beverages you'll have to run to the store at the top of the street on the corner in the Casino Complex, $ 3.00 a bag. For morning coffee we went to Coffee Cann, also in the Casino complex, just a short walk.
I'm sure there are legal and insurance considerations, but one thing I think would enhance the property is a jacuzzi in the fairly well enclosed back yard.
My wife and I are grateful to Ken for letting us stay just one night and we appreciate the cleanliness and obvious pride he takes in the Grayhurst Hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Miike L
Reviewed 23 June 2013

I was hunting for a place to stay near Hampton. Not satisfied with what was popping up on Expedia or Hotels.com, I did a Google search and came across this place. Immediately obvious this was an owner/operator sort of place when I called and you should expect such an experience, meaning you're not going to get the stuff you'd naturally expect at a chain. No coffee maker in the room, no requests to join a loyalty program, no extras. Also, the room I was in was small....felt like a cabin on a ship almost...a bed, a sink, and a half-bath. And the walls were pretty thin....it wasn't noisy at ALL but I was afraid people would hear us.

Now then, why I love this place. Since it is owned and operated by the same guy, you get a very personal experience...."Normal check in time is 3pm. You're coming in at noon? Ok, I'll try and get your room ready by then." "Can't make it in? Well, if I can rent it out no problem but otherwise I'll have to charge you." I like this kind of "fair-is-fair" and honest business practice. And he's very friendly and chatty (but not to a fault). Curious about what brings you to town, how often you've been there, and if you need any suggestions on where to go. Compared to other places in Hampton, the rates here were fair as well. And as advertised, the place and the linens may be aging but it's CLEAN. Felt like a guest at my grandma's house.

And then...there's the LOCATION. This is the star of the show. It's adjacent to the Casino Ballroom which is nice if you are there for a show (I was) and next to several restaurants, arcades, gift shops, coffee shops, a block from McDonalds and across the street from the ocean. Can't beat that.

He has a common area where you can lounge or even BBQ...there's a hose to rinse your sand from the beach...and you are just made to feel welcome. I'll say this again to be clear...the rooms are small and modest. If you insist on the corporate professionalism of a Marriott or W, this may not be for you (but you're really going to have to stay in Boston if that's the sort of thing you're looking for). This is the sort of place your buddy from college would own.

So, clean, relaxing and convenient. Friendly, warm and comfortable. Old, small and basic. Got it?

Oh, and there was cable and a nice HD TV.

Room Tip: I think he said rooms 8 and 10 were his best...just ask him. He'll tell you.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank theburgii
Reviewed 20 June 2013

The Grayhurst was the perfect hotel for our weekend stay. Excellent for when seeing a show at the Hampton Beach Casino. You are literally right next door. Great place to be able to walk the beach, shop and eat. Ken, the owner was super friendly. Rooms were very clean. I would most definitely return.

Room Tip: Room 10 is a great room for a couple. Back corner so only one room abutting you and you're right...
Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 May 2013 via mobile

I've stayed at the Grayhurst three times over the last few summers and have always enjoyed my stay. While the rooms are small and modest, they are clean and well kept, plus there have been recent upgrades like new beds, flat screen TVs, plus all of the rooms have a fridge. You also cannot beat the price, especially when compared to other hotels in Hampton beach that are trashy and run down. This classic hotel is located one block from the main drag and the beach. It also directly neighbors the ballroom and arcade, which hosts concerts all through the summer. I love being able to sit on the deck and hear the show perfectly- without dealing with the crowd! It also includes free parking with your stay. The owner is friendly and will give recommendations for restaurants and the like. I feel like I'm staying at a family member's house! I'm sure I'll be back soon.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 6 May 2013

We stayed here 04/27/13 for one evening. The location for us couldn't be better as it's directly across the street from the Ballroom/Casino and we were in Hampton beach for a concert.

I cannot comment on the apartments on the property as we were in a "general" room on the 2nd floor. (This was the only room type available as the property was just opening for the season and the other rooms weren't ready yet).

The owner, Ken is very friendly and welcoming. The room, while small, was clean with a comfortable full size bed. There is a small fridge in the room along with a microwave and plenty of drawers under the platform bed. Note that there is not a flat iron or iron board in the room, not sure if there is one available to borrow.

We would definitely stay here again but I would like to try either an apartment or suite if there is one as more than one night in this size room would be difficult for us because we like to spread out.

A friend recommended Grayhurst to us and we're glad she did. Book it, you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Room 10 is a corner room and has 2 windows.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple