“Nice location, not a great room”

Kentville on the Ocean
Ranked #10 of 41 Hotels in Hampton
Albany, New York
“Nice location, not a great room”
Reviewed 14 August 2012

We booked a king on the first floor. It was very dated furnishings which we could live with but it was also in need of some general repair; small holes in the curtains which allowed light through at night, lots of marks and broken woodwork, separating frame from the mirror in bathroom, stains on tub, etc. The room was small and the bathroom was tiny. One big issue was the bathtub didn't drain very well. It took a couple hours and quite a bit of sand was left in the bottom of the tub. The biggest issue was our a/c unit. When we arrived it worked fine but stopped working after about 2 hours. The staff said they find this to happen often in this one room and to leave it off for a couple hours. If it didn't turn back on they could swap it with another unit. I wondered why they didn't just fix it if it was a reoccurring problem. The a/c unit started up after our dinner but we had trouble a couple times during our stay. The Kentville is right across from the beach and parking was very convenient. However, we will not stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Clifton Park, New York
Reviewed 12 August 2012

My husband and I stayed here the end of July for three nights. We got the last available room. It was located on the third floor. The room was small (which they informed me when I booked), but it was super clean and perfect for a couple. Full fridge and a great deck with chairs and tables overlooking the Atlantic. The price was unbeatable 149 a night for an ocean front room! The only down side was the stairs to the 3rd floor. But if you want a great view they are worth it!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Leominster, Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 August 2012

We booked in for one night and upon arrival we were informed that the hotel has NO ELEVATOR. I am a heart patient and this was a little bit of a challenge for me. The staff however was kind enough to take my suitcase up to the 3rd floor. The location is perfect and a great spot to watch the fireworks. Keep in mind the stairs are on the outside of the building and tiny little steps that wouldn't met code today. In addition there are 15 steps to each flight of stairs so if you are on the third floor it's a long haul........NOT FOR THE ELDERLY, HANDICAPPED OR HEART PATIENTS. THE ROOMS ARE SMALL AND THE BATHROOMS ARE TINY WITH NO VENT FANS. The room price was reasonable and location good, pleasant staff and parking. The Ashworth is right next door and has a super breakfast shop. Next time I think we will try another hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms have balconies with views but the third and second floor have the best views
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Hampton hotels

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 11 August 2012

We booked into the Kentville on the Ocean for two night stay (August 7&8). We reserved a day ahead as we had read how busy it was in Hampton Beach at this time of year. They had one room available with a king size bed on the third floor. Parking was included with our hotel stay. You cannot beat the location and view from this hotel. We liked the fact that it is located in the quieter area and away from all the noise from the arcades and stores. The room is nothing to write home about. You pay for the location. The room was not clean and I slept in my clothes worried about the cleanliness of the mattress, carpet and dated furniture. This is a $50 room (at best) if it was not for the location. We had the corner deck and it was nice to have breakfast overlooking the beach. They did have a fridge with a freezer which was good as we purchased groceries at the neaby Hannafords. The internet service did not work from our room or deck. It worked in the lobby or front porch. They do provide coffee/tea in the morning. The beach is beautiful and we spent a full day enjoying the area. It is a full amusement park with a beach. They had music at the outside stage at night and we enjoyed the firework show on Wednesday night. The locals stated that the beach area is quieter when the younger crowds return to school. It is, however, a great experience to visit this beach and area. I never felt that I was in a crowded area eventhough there was sea of colourful umbrellas on the beach. I walked a good distance on the beach, the sand and water is great!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 4 August 2012

The hotel is situated at the north end of the beach and boardwalk, where there is less people and noise. If you stay here it is because you enjoy being close to the action but not bothered by the noise. We had a wonderful outdoor space on the third floor and the view was fantastic. Nice sea breeze too.
Staff was very friendly and helpful. Our room could have used a little reno, but for the money, was a very nice place to stay.

Room Tip: For the best view of the ocean ask for a room on the third floor
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 12 July 2012

The place is in a fabulous location. Charged my wife and I $130 a night (stayed for two), compared with the the Ashworth's quote of $250 per night. We were walk ins and love the joint. Clean, comfy, air conditioned, free parking - not like the ripoff at the Ashworth. The view is worth the climb up the stairs.
Recommended!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank PeteBp
Vermont
Reviewed 9 July 2012

My family (Wife & Daugther) have always stayed at the Ashworth; however, I procrastinated this year and there were no rooms available for the 3 nights/days we wanted to go. I remembered that the Kentville was right next door to the Ashworth, so I called them up and made reservations. We got a room on the 3rd floor (room #33, side view, facing the Ashworth), king bed. Room was clean, fridge, freezer, microwave, table and 2 chairs outside of sliding glass door. At the end of the deck, towards the beach, there were more community chairs/tables. Views were great, people were nice, and the Kentville feels a lot more like home than the Ashworth. I really enjoyed going down to the front deck, sitting in the rocking chair with a cold beer watching the people walk by. I'm not saying that it is better than the Ashworth, but I am saying that I prefer the Kentville over the Ashworth. Even though the stairs were a major pain in the butt, the view was well worth the climb!

Room Tip: For the best views pick ocean front or ocean view facing the Ashworth, if you aren't afraid of s...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family