“I'd like to rate them higher..but..”

Kentville on the Ocean
Ranked #11 of 41 Hotels in Hampton
Reviewed 14 August 2012

I have to be honest here. I've stayed at five different places now in Hampton, this one comes in probably fourth. I usually try to avoid in-season but this time I couldn't.

We literally got the last room available, ground floor just off the lobby, pretty much IN the lobby. Other than a bedroom on a moving train, the smallest room I've ever stayed in. Relatively noisy from the rooms above. Clean though. Mattress was very much sagged to a pit in the middle - that that had a lot to do with the average rating here. Bathroom was clean but difficult to use as sink had no space to put anything near it. Wireless was spotty, sometimes good, sometimes cut out and disconnect.

Location is actually very good and despite claims to the contrary we had a limited beach view.

Staff and crew was really good, very friendly and accomodating. I felt like it was overpriced for mid-week for what we had, but this was in-season and I'll admit I'm spoiled with other deals we've found. The Ashworth next door makes everybody else look like a great deal. Parking here is a little easier than some and additional spaces are available for a reasonable price, so if you're a multi-vehicle family this makes it a much better deal here than elsewhere.

Had torrential rain during our visit and the roof leaked...right into the bathroom sink. From the rust stains in the ceiling this was not a new episode, it's a problem with the deck above.

Room Tip: Every room is different and some are rather small. See the other reviews for stairs.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 14 August 2012

We booked a king on the first floor. It was very dated furnishings which we could live with but it was also in need of some general repair; small holes in the curtains which allowed light through at night, lots of marks and broken woodwork, separating frame from the mirror in bathroom, stains on tub, etc. The room was small and the bathroom was tiny. One big issue was the bathtub didn't drain very well. It took a couple hours and quite a bit of sand was left in the bottom of the tub. The biggest issue was our a/c unit. When we arrived it worked fine but stopped working after about 2 hours. The staff said they find this to happen often in this one room and to leave it off for a couple hours. If it didn't turn back on they could swap it with another unit. I wondered why they didn't just fix it if it was a reoccurring problem. The a/c unit started up after our dinner but we had trouble a couple times during our stay. The Kentville is right across from the beach and parking was very convenient. However, we will not stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2012

My husband and I stayed here the end of July for three nights. We got the last available room. It was located on the third floor. The room was small (which they informed me when I booked), but it was super clean and perfect for a couple. Full fridge and a great deck with chairs and tables overlooking the Atlantic. The price was unbeatable 149 a night for an ocean front room! The only down side was the stairs to the 3rd floor. But if you want a great view they are worth it!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2012

We booked in for one night and upon arrival we were informed that the hotel has NO ELEVATOR. I am a heart patient and this was a little bit of a challenge for me. The staff however was kind enough to take my suitcase up to the 3rd floor. The location is perfect and a great spot to watch the fireworks. Keep in mind the stairs are on the outside of the building and tiny little steps that wouldn't met code today. In addition there are 15 steps to each flight of stairs so if you are on the third floor it's a long haul........NOT FOR THE ELDERLY, HANDICAPPED OR HEART PATIENTS. THE ROOMS ARE SMALL AND THE BATHROOMS ARE TINY WITH NO VENT FANS. The room price was reasonable and location good, pleasant staff and parking. The Ashworth is right next door and has a super breakfast shop. Next time I think we will try another hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms have balconies with views but the third and second floor have the best views
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 August 2012

We booked into the Kentville on the Ocean for two night stay (August 7&8). We reserved a day ahead as we had read how busy it was in Hampton Beach at this time of year. They had one room available with a king size bed on the third floor. Parking was included with our hotel stay. You cannot beat the location and view from this hotel. We liked the fact that it is located in the quieter area and away from all the noise from the arcades and stores. The room is nothing to write home about. You pay for the location. The room was not clean and I slept in my clothes worried about the cleanliness of the mattress, carpet and dated furniture. This is a $50 room (at best) if it was not for the location. We had the corner deck and it was nice to have breakfast overlooking the beach. They did have a fridge with a freezer which was good as we purchased groceries at the neaby Hannafords. The internet service did not work from our room or deck. It worked in the lobby or front porch. They do provide coffee/tea in the morning. The beach is beautiful and we spent a full day enjoying the area. It is a full amusement park with a beach. They had music at the outside stage at night and we enjoyed the firework show on Wednesday night. The locals stated that the beach area is quieter when the younger crowds return to school. It is, however, a great experience to visit this beach and area. I never felt that I was in a crowded area eventhough there was sea of colourful umbrellas on the beach. I walked a good distance on the beach, the sand and water is great!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2012

The hotel is situated at the north end of the beach and boardwalk, where there is less people and noise. If you stay here it is because you enjoy being close to the action but not bothered by the noise. We had a wonderful outdoor space on the third floor and the view was fantastic. Nice sea breeze too.
Staff was very friendly and helpful. Our room could have used a little reno, but for the money, was a very nice place to stay.

Room Tip: For the best view of the ocean ask for a room on the third floor
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 July 2012

The place is in a fabulous location. Charged my wife and I $130 a night (stayed for two), compared with the the Ashworth's quote of $250 per night. We were walk ins and love the joint. Clean, comfy, air conditioned, free parking - not like the ripoff at the Ashworth. The view is worth the climb up the stairs.
Recommended!