“The Nicest Place I've Stayed!!!!”

Lamies Inn and The Old Salt Tavern
Ranked #1 of 41 Hotels in Hampton
Poughkeepsie, New York
“The Nicest Place I've Stayed!!!!”
Reviewed 5 July 2012

We celebrated our honeymoon in a condo on the Beach in Hampton. Our first experience at Lamies was for our first anniversary. We regretted not having spent our honeymoon there! When we walked in our room, there was a basket of chocolates and an Anniversary card from Lamies. We just celebrated my birthday there and again, walked in our room and there was a birthday card with a wonderful chocolate dish filled with candies! We love Lamies and can't wait to go back!!!!

Room Tip: Any rooms!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sueann628

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Vermont
Reviewed 5 June 2012

My husband decided to take me away for our belated anniversary and Mother's Day to Hampton Beach, NH. As we spent our 1 day honeymoon there, 13 years ago, it seemed so right to him! I decided to not stay 'on the beach' , but at Lamie's Inn as I had read so many wonderful thing's about this Inn. Well, EVERYTHING I read was right and amazing! From early check-in with 'Mo' (Maureen), to each and every staff member of the Inn as well as the Old Salt Restaurant attached to this Inn. As this was Mother's Day weekend, we knew it would be busy so only booked our Saturday nite. After our INCREDIBLE dinner, we went to bed. The room next to us had a screaming baby, that kept us up many time's throughout the nite. It is an Inn and there was an ajoining door next to the bed. But we weathered through and went down to breakfast. 'Mo' was there again and we asked if they had our room available for another nite~~we loved it so much there. (Except the baby). She said yes, and YES the baby was departing that day, lol!! So we booked again. As the Old Salt is WELL known for their Sunday brunch, we KNEW dinner would be impossible. We asked Mo if they had any reservations, and she said she would check in periodically and let us know as we were off to the beach on an 80 degree NH beach day~~~doesn't happen often! We got back, and no, nothing for us. So we plotted where to eat that nite~~the diner down the street had a great little deal! But then, I walked down to the restaurant, told them what a wonderful time we had the nite before, and our plight! The wonderful hostess said 'hey, if you want to come down around 5:30 to 6pm we can put you in the bar at a table~~~would you mind?" Well NO, the bar area was adorable!! So off we went, had yet another amazing dinner---oh my lobster!! So this is our NEW get outta town, just over 21/2 hours away for us! Can't wait to see Mo and Kathy and the wonderful staff @ the Old Salt again! Enjoy and tell 'Mo' that couple that remet on the internet after 25 years, and married said hi! She'll know!!!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank BBQLuvR
Meriden, Connecticut
Reviewed 11 May 2012

The Lamies Inn has become the favorite getaway for my wife and me. It is quiet and the staff is very helpful. The Old Salt is excellent although I prefer the dinner options to the brunch though the brunch is awesome. Can't beat it for that in between spot when you don't want to stay at a big hotel but want something a little more predictable than a B&B.

Room Tip: Make sure if it is a weekend you avoid rooms right above the bar. The music can get through.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Edward I
Derry NH
Reviewed 30 April 2012

My wife lost her Dad a few weeks ago and I needed to get her away.She was really close,oldest girl with six brothers.I planned this get away with over night stay ,a nice dinner,and brunch the next day.We both were wowed when entering this very old inn and checking in was a pleasure.
The meal that we had was prime rib and baked haddock with all the trimmings.Drinks were suggested by Gabby the waitress and I took her up on that .She was right on.Gabby served
and was the most gracious waitress you find anywhere.Big smile,pleasant,just a real person and professional.Brunch buffet the next morning is more than you find on a cruse ship and better. I felt like a nap after but already checked out.My hat off to the chef ,I hope there paying him enough,what a cook.

The stay at Lamie's Inn was like being at home but quieter .Room was spotless ,and very home like . Karen,Chis, and {Maurene} Mau make the inn what it is.Very nice people and will help you with anything.You can have a big fancy hotel and a beautiful location,but if you don't have these kind of people, your wasting your time there. Thanks Mau, see ya in July.
Linda and Wes Hill Derry NH. 4/28/12

Room Tip: I am not telling what my room was ,was not over the music.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Hemel Hempstead, UK
Reviewed 9 April 2012

We have stayed here before, and although I like to experience new hotels (there literally are hundreds of thousands of them out there!) I wanted to go back here as I had such a great experience last time. I can honestly say that we had a wonderful time again, and it's now my default place should I be in the area.

The lady behind the counter remembered us from our last trip (12 months ago!) and when we got to our room (the same one as last year - coincidence? I don't think so) there was a little note from the owner / manager welcoming us back. I know it took seconds to do, but it made you feel special. We were travelling with our kids and their names were also included on the note! The kids were given a little baggie of crayons and colouring pads, a deck of cards and things - once again, something that doesn't cost the earth, but is welcoming and considerate.

I had arragned for a delivery to be made for me and it was waiitng in my room when we arrived; I didn't have to go and ask anybody for it. Another nice touch.

The room was big - two large comfortable beds, with a four poster "effect" going on, although to be honest it would be better to have a 3 poster effect as if you are watching the TV from in the bed there's an obstruction!

The room also has a refridgerator and microwave as well as a hair dryer, coffee making facilities and a couple of bottles of water. (we stayed 2 nights, I don't drink coffee, but the water wasn't replaced. If that's a gripe, then that's a gripe!)

There is coffee and tea free in the lobby all day, as well as a computer with internet. The rooms have wi-fi, although some in our party struggled getting a reception. (my computer was fine by the way).

The breakfast is a help yourself affair with english muffins, different breads, bagels, cereals, fresh fruit, pastries, juices. There's enough to fulfill your early morning needs!

We also ate at the restaurant and drank in the bar. Would recommend both!

The staff are incredibly friendly, the walls of the hotel are steeped with photo's of the history of the place (including fires, re-siting the hotel) and previous guests such as Dwight Eisenhower.

The hotel is a 2-family run affair and they take pride in what they have there. And so they should. I'm going bak again and again. This is my go-to place. I feel comfortable and happy when I arrive. The prices too are great.

The heater / cooler in the room is quite noisy when operated, but not an issue.

If only the place had a pool!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Recently, on a trip back from Maine, we were looking for a place to grab dinner. For no particular reason other than we saw it when we were hungry, we chose The Old Salt Tavern. Our first impressions were a bit disappointed -- the place looks like it is a 1970's version of trying to look colonial. Everything was so dated. We were seated in a booth, and met our waitress, who couldn't have been more unenthusiastic. The menu seemed uninspired. We actually considered walking out at this point. But we didn't because we were hungry, and the prices seemed reasonable.

Boy -- were we glad we stayed. I ended up ordering a burger, and my companion had a salad with salmon on top. The food was really good, and the portions were substantial. The glaze on the salmon hit the right notes of interesting and appealing. My burger was cooked perfectly, and the side slaw was very good. I'm not saying this was gourmet, high end food, but for what we paid ($23 combined), it was an excellent value. Tasty, filling, and priced right.

Can't give the Old Salt five stars because it still was a dated relic, and the service was blah. But the food - GREAT value!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KitchenJazz
Milford, Connecticut
Reviewed 3 April 2012

We absolutely love the Lamies Inn in New Hampshire. We go there every year and it is the only place we stay in New Hampshire. We were just there for a week. Of course, the hospitality is excellent, the rooms are always clean and the food at the Old Salt is excellent. We keep going back year after year and truly enjoy ourselves. The Lamies Inn is so romantic and warm. The front desk staff (Kathy and Maureen) are amazing women, they'll make your stay is so comfortable and you'll get a couple of good laughs. We recommend you try a stay at the Lamies Inn you will not be disappointed.

The Faggella's from Connecticut

Room Tip: We always stay on the second floor and the view of the front is best.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anne Marie F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hampton
Ashworth by the Sea
Hampton Inn & Suites Portsmouth Downtown
The OC Studio Suites
The OC Studio Suites
#11 of 41 in Hampton

Been to Lamies Inn and The Old Salt Tavern? Share your experiences!