“Trying to support independent owners”

Lamies Inn and The Old Salt Tavern
Ranked #1 of 41 Hotels in Hampton
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We are on a month long cross country trip.This hotel seemed a good midway stop between Bar Harbor ME and the Woodshole.Trip Advisor said 93%. While its clean and quiet,it's also small and dated.Because of small dogs we were initially put in a room (38) adjacent to the active employee smoking area,dumpster,and some catering trucks, terrible.Why does having a small dog ( extra $) make you a second class citizen? When I complained, we were put in # 32 better,no smoke.Another concern is the "policy" of adding $50 to your room rate which you can "spend" @ the Tavern? I asked when it would be returned I was told "in a few days". "Do you notify me? No call your bank. " Seems like a set up.......

Room Tip: Challenge the dog policy of worst room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Beverlydbichons

Reviewed 27 July 2013

We recently had a 3 night stay at Lamies Inn. There is NO ELEVATOR and the halls are not air conditioned. The room was sufficient, the staff friendly, and the dining area nice, but when we were taking pictures of our lovely canopy room the night before departure we ran into an issue. I moved the lamp slightly to accommodate the lighting I needed for the picture and found dead bedbug beneath it. We addressed the front desk discreetly, immediately. When asked of the most recent pest inspection they were unable to present any documentation, even though it was apparently a concern due to the beds being covered with bedbug protective zipped bags.They removed the bug and assured us we'd hear from the owner before bed or before check out. Nothing was ever mentioned of it to us. We spent a long duration of time and frustration shaking all of our clothing and bags out and making many trips to the vehicle as items were "cleared". Upon arriving home we received an email asking about our stay. Once again we addressed the issue and the fact of it being unresolved. Again, we've received no reply. Wouldn't recommend, primarily on the lack of professionalism and you might get bedbugs! We were fortunate to not bring them home!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank dcdugans
lamiesinn, Owner at Lamies Inn and The Old Salt Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2013

We are sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with us. We strive to make the needs to every one of our guests our top priority.
We take every comment seriously and in most cases use them to as training tools to help us be better serve our guests.
We are a well-established Inn nestled in a building that dates back to the 1700’s and we pride ourselves in providing our guests with as many modern day amenities as possible.
While an elevator is not an option in our 18th century two story building, we are happy to personally accommodate any guest who needs assistance with their luggage , request the first floor, or in any other way! Many of our hotel rooms are located on the first level the same level as or lobby, guest services, continental breakfast, public restrooms and restaurant.
I would like to personally apologize for the miscommunication in reference to what you are now describing as a bed bug. I did receive a call from my evening staff at home and was told that you first thought it was a bug of some sort, but did not refer to the bug as a bed bug. The staff then examined the bottom of the lamp that you removed and brought to them and when it was seen in better light was agreed that it was not even a bug but a small foreign object stuck to the bottom side of the lamp.
The evening staff had also offered you a different room but you said that you were happy with that room. They then placed the bottom of the lamp into a sealed bag for me to inspect the next morning. I did inspect the bottom of the lamp and also agreed it was not any type of bug. I then asked day staff to tell you that I’d love to speak with you at checkout but that you left without any further discussion with them. You had also written a lovey note in our guest book (Had a great time thanks)
I am not sure why I did not receive your email regarding your stay with us.
As Property owners, we take great pride in the cleanliness of our property, as most reviews will support.
As a precaution: All of our staff and management have attended bed bug awareness training and the property has been inspected by bed bug canine within the last year. We follow protocol determined by the bed bug experts, such as protective mattress covers.
I would like to have the opportunity to discuss this further in person at a time of your convenience.
Please feel free to contact me directly.
Michael Higgins Owner

Reviewed 23 July 2013

My newlywed wife and I stayed at Lamies Inn after our wedding. It was a very pleasant experience, and I would highly recommend the hotel. The rooms are a convenient size, with plenty of the necessary amenities, including two sitting chairs, two dining chairs, a desk, and a pull out table. The room we stayed in was a queen bed with a canopy, and the lace canopy added a very nice touch to what is a quaint New England style room. The staff was all very courteous, and made sure to remember that the stay was part of our honeymoon. They left a signed note and some Lindor chocolates on the bedside table, as well as complimentary bottled water on the mini fridge. Having the Tavern adjacent to the hotel also was very convenient, and they were able to make a reservation for us and call our room when the table was ready. Again, I would definitely recommend this hotel for either a single night or even a weekend getaway. We enjoyed the entire experience and look forward to returning!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bdy1548
Reviewed 19 July 2013

The staff at Lamie's Inn is what made my stay most enjoyable. Each staff member - in the hotel or The Old Salt - was courteous, personable, and accommodating. The room and common areas in the hotel were immaculate and absolutely charming. I also appreciated the fact that I was supporting a family-owned business with quality service. A+!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jessica799
Reviewed 12 July 2013

What a pleasure to find our spacious room with beautiful furniture, sumptuous linens and lovely decor. The furniture was polished and looked brand new. Best mattress ever for a good night's sleep. The bedspread was gorgeous and squeaky clean. We had lots of space to place our suitcases. It was like being in a little living room with a good bed. A nice respite from a travel filled day.

Room Tip: We requested a no smoke king bed. I have never slept on such a TERRIFIC mattress. The bedspread w...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Nita274
Reviewed 7 July 2013 via mobile

I love how the doors to the rooms still use a standard key & the look and feel of it is homey. Great food at the restaurant/bar and good live entertainment. My only qualm is the size of the rooms, the old TV set w/out HD, and the WiFi had horrible coverage in the rooms. The woman @ the desk was AMAZING, nice and very helpful. She even remembered our names at checkout! Overall..a great & quiet place to stay w/out a long drive to the beach.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Jessica R
Reviewed 2 July 2013

I stayed here with my husband and dog just for one night. The room was small and old, but clean and comfortable. Because we had a dog they placed us at the end of the hallway w/ a door to outside. I understand their reasoning so we have quick access if he needs to go to the bathroom, but if your dog has any tendency to bark at noises this might not be the best spot. I'm not sure if the whole hotel is dog friendly or just certain rooms, but if I were to return I would see if I could get a room further from an exit because I was worried about disturbing other guests.

Positives:
Friendly staff
Restaurant was very good
Bed was comfortable
Room had a mini fridge we could stock
5 minute drive to the beach

A couple areas for improvement:
The bathroom smelled a bit like sulphur, I am assuming that is the water.
Not awesome water pressure in the shower
TVs were old (this didn't bother me, but I know some people are picky about this).

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 99vacation
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hampton
Ashworth by the Sea
Exeter Inn
Exeter Inn
#3 of 3 in Exeter
Holiday Inn Express Hampton South - Seabrook

Been to Lamies Inn and The Old Salt Tavern? Share your experiences!