“I could tell from the phone call....”

Lamies Inn and The Old Salt Tavern
Ranked #1 of 41 Hotels in Hampton
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Lamies was the last place we stayed during our New England vacation this October before flying home from Boston. I had picked Lamies because we wanted to stay somewhere near Boston and I could not find what I wanted in Portsmouth at a reasonable price. Based on Tripadvisor reviews I thought Lamies looked like an interesting place. I called to reserve two rooms and the receptionist who took my call was very cheerful, friendly,and helpful. After the call I had a good feeling about Lamies. The person we checked in with, I am sure, was the same person who answered my phone call months before. She was even better in person; helpful, cheerful, and with a great sense of humour. I wish I could remember her name but you will know who she is if you stay there. The hotel is in a nice area close to the beaches. It is on busy highway #1 but the traffic noise did not bother us. The room was very comfortable and of adequate size. The area to the back and on one side of the hotel looks a little run down but the hotel has been there a long time and other businesses have come and gone. We ate lunch at the Old Salt Tavern and while the food was good our server was very slow. There is a very good restaurant about a block away where we had a great dinner. The continental breakfast was standard fare and well presented. Lamies is a comfortable, historic inn and I would definitely stay there again.

1  Thank Duffer724

Reviewed 10 November 2013

I had my wedding reception at the old salt in April 2013 and I have to recommend no one hold an event at this venue. The whole event was extremely rushed and the waitstaff was rude. The staff was clearing off tables before guests were finished with drinks and food. This event was planned at this venue, so that ALL guests could stay at Lamies. Halfway into the reception, the owner tried to cut off alcohol from guests due to liability even though everyone was staying at the hotel. At the end of the event, waitstaff cleared off tables with party favors, as well as the brides boutique and flower arrangements which were never seen again. Hotel stay was average. Rooms are small but clean. Overall, pretty bad experience...don't recommend holding an event here.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank Dooberus
lamiesinn, Owner at Lamies Inn and The Old Salt Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

I’m very sorry that your wedding ended on that note. I understand that you and your guests wanted to celebrate and it is never our desire to have to put an end to the fun. However, NH State Liquor laws are very clear and strictly enforced. While we appreciate that your guests were not driving vehicles, there are still many concerns and dangers associated with alcohol consumption. For the safety and well-being of all our hotel guests, restaurant patrons and staff, we take these regulations seriously. We are glad that you were able to get your flowers back the next day

Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

Excellent service, clean, cozy atmosphere. We had the queen bed with canopy which was very comfortable. Plenty of channels on the TV including HBO. There is a table in the lobby set up with tea and coffee, 24 hours a day. Nice continental breakfast in the morning with fruit, yogurt, cereal, baked goods. I would stay here again.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RhodamineRed
Reviewed 19 October 2013

My husband and I stayed for a getaway weekend and Lamie's was exactly what we were looking for - a bed and breakfasty feel within more of a hotel setting. We found the charm of an old inn that had all the amenities we need, including a fridge and microwave. The room was good sized and clean, and the bed was large and comfortable. The bathroom was small, but perfectly adequate and also very clean. The staff was great - always helpful and friendly. We even got a thank you note from the room attendant for the tip we left the first morning. The continental breakfast offered numerous choices and the onsite restaurant was wonderful. Great selection with very reasonable prices and the food was excellent. The Sunday brunch was fantastic. Lamies is only a few hours from our home, and we will definitely go back. If the restaurant was in our community, we would be regulars.

2  Thank Judy H
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We enjoyed a week's stay here the first week of Oct, Maple trees everywhere, red, yellow, green. Really a great location for visiting near by towns and the sandy beaches. The food is also very reasonable and delicious. Lobster Dinner with sides is $11.99 and if you ask they will break it open for you. We were on the second floor, no elevator, room 48. Very nice comfortable bed, very large bed too! Clean room and had everything we needed. I will say that the bathroom was very tiny. However functional. TV, Micro, Refr and desk area. The furniture is Stickly and of great quality. Enjoyed our stay there and would recommend it to others. Dinners are very reasonable price and yummy! Plenty of hot water and lots of charm. Very charming place. Lots of history. It may not be the best place for kids, but it's perfect for couples or business travel.

Room Tip: No elevator. We were in room 48. Could hear noise in the bathroom from the neighboring room.
1  Thank pattyk2009
Reviewed 13 October 2013

For the second year in a row we stayed at this lovely B&B. The rooms are very comfortable and the self serve breakfast set up in the restaurant is always great! One of the nice things about this place is The Old Salt Tavern Restaurant that is right downstairs. The food is fantastic and all the people who work there are very friendly and helpful. I just learned that President Eisenhower stayed there many times!

Room Tip: We have stayed in two different rooms and both were quiet , clean, and very comfortable.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sandra J D
Reviewed 12 October 2013

We booked "sight unseen" and were very pleased with the accommodations. The "desk" staff was very friendly and helpful in recommending places to go. The food was excellent and the wait staff very efficient.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Gwynne2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hampton
Ashworth by the Sea
#11 of 41 in Hampton
Exeter Inn
Exeter Inn
#3 of 3 in Exeter

Been to Lamies Inn and The Old Salt Tavern? Share your experiences!