“Best place in Hampton!”

Lamies Inn and The Old Salt Tavern
Ranked #1 of 41 Hotels in Hampton
Reviewed 15 July 2014

From the moment we stepped inside, Mau at reception was very welcoming and helpful. Large room with king size bed was available..We took the two day package which included a lunch and dinner which was excellent . We would definitely stay here again.

3  Thank dgoslett
There are newer reviews for Lamies Inn and The Old Salt Tavern

Reviewed 13 July 2014

My boyfriend & I just came home from our birthday getaway at Lamies and are beyond satisfied with our experience. From the staff to the cleanliness to the ambience - everything was five-star. Very cozy rooms - perfect size for the two of us. Bed and pillows were comfortable as well. Brick-walls were a nice touch that we've never run into before. The Sunday Brunch buffet at the connected Old Salt Tavern is a MUST for any visitor if you are staying the weekend. Be sure to ask the front desk for discount card. $2 off each meal if you are a Lamies Inn guest. SCORE! Old Salt Tavern also has amazing dinner food and what a gorgeous atmosphere! There's an outside area that I wish we had realized prior to dining, but inside was just as nice. I loved everything about my stay and will definitely be returning.

2  Thank Lindsay R
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Historical charm near all the beaches. Perfect. I was desperately trying to find a place to stay 4th of July week that would welcome our four legged kids. We stopped in for dinner one night and asked about availability and pets. No problem! I booked our week right away. Then I had to adjust our reservation a few days before our stay. No problem! I also needed to check in late. No problem!

The BIG problem. While they claim to be pet friendly, it's somewhat misleading. Their policy is that pets can't be left unattended in the room. We were not told this when we made reservations IN PERSON or when we checked in. This is a very important detail and should have been the first thing I was told when making the reservation. It was sent in a separate e-mail than our reservation confirmation and ended up in a spam folder. I found out when my husband came up mid-week to join me and I went to let the desk know to start charging us the pet rate. The young lady at the desk was helpful and sympathetic, she gets 5 stars. She suggested a local doggy daycare and spoke to the manager on our behalf. The manager agreed to see how our dogs did for a day as long as she could contact us, but our dinner at The Old Salt was interrupted because our dogs barked "for 5 minutes and then stopped". They stopped, it wasn't late, but I had to abandon my dinner that I paid for. If that was all it took to get somebody to pull us from dinner....it wasn't worth even trying a day. Dogs bark occasionally, if it's not excessive it shouldn't be an issue.

So basically, if you're a couple on vacation you can forget actually going out together unless you can find and pay extra for doggy daycare. Good luck if you're here on a holiday or have plans in the evening, NONE are open. This isn't reasonable at all.

Don't walk them anywhere near the building either, that's a no no. I had actually walked them in an open area out back, but there is no no receptacle for waste except right next to the building entrance which is where I was informed that I shouldn't walk them near the building. Put a receptacle in the dog walking area then and designate the back lot as the only place guests can walk dogs. Simple.

We got the impression that dogs are tolerated, but not particularly welcome. We've stayed in many upscale and tourist class hotels with our dogs: Holiday Inn, The Eliot, Hotel Marlowe, Nuevo Inn to name a few. They should just not allow pets or have a block of pet rooms together so pets and their people can stay worry free. It's ok for babies to cry, kids to screech, couples to get frisky loud enough to hear down the hall, but oh my god if a dog barks for a few minutes it's an issue.

So, we are forced to cut our well deserved vacation short or just sit in our room the whole time. When I informed the desk that we'd have to do this, the woman informed me that she had seen all the notes from the night before in a "you're the dog people" tone.

We've only run into this insane pet policy once before, but we were told about it when we made our reservations. We left our dogs with our regular pet sitter.

The rooms are colonial in style and very comfortable. Yet with modern conveniences such as a refrigerator, microwave, hair dryer, TV with plenty of cable channels, and free wi-fi. Spacious closet, large and well appointed bathroom, air conditioning, excellent water pressure, and a comfy bed with nice linens. Laundry service, vending machines, and ice are all available. They also have a 24 hour desk.

I was happy to give this place 5 stars, but the pet policy is unreasonable. We'd been looking forward to this vacation for a long time and it's totally ruined.

4  Thank Traveltron5000
Reviewed 26 June 2014

The hotel is about 2 miles from the north hampton beach so we were able to easily ride our bikes there. There is no free parking at the beach, so this was a nice alternative for us. It is away from all the crowds and noise of the Hampton strip which is what we preferred. The hotel was nice and clean. They could use better blinds for windows since the sun comes through first thing in morning. The television is quite outdated which was okay since we didn't watch much television. We didn't eat at the restaurant except for their continental breakfast, but the parking lot was always packed when we got back from our activities, so the food must be pretty good there.
There are a few local restaurants located nearby that you can walk to, including the 401 Tavern.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PJDBRD
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We stay here every year the NHRA is in town!! It is centrally located, between the beach and the track. We bring our mountain bikes and ride to Hampton beach(it's only 3 miles)parking is no problem. We have had nothing but great experiences and rooms here. There is a microwave and a great little refrigerator. This years room was a queen bed and although the room are small, they have everything you would need. My favorite part. It's so QUIET!! If there is anything that you do need the gals(and guy) at the front desk are more than accommodating. The continental breakfast was very good, the bar & bartenders were entertaining. The old salt has great food. Absolutely loved the "addition" this year to the sand castle contest. We shall see you in'15

Room Tip: We have been here a number of times and have never had a bad room. I guess it depends on how many yo...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Easy access location; super large & clean room; large dining area with great food; Very friendly staff. Don't pass this by. So much more personable than a "chain" . We would recommend to anyone going in that area Close drive to Kittery Outlets as well.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Linda P
Reviewed 2 June 2014

This is a very nice place. They were very accomodating and helpful. We asked for a room upstairs since we'd had an issue the night before with noise above us in another hotel. They made it happen. The staff was very friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the restaurant back door! A little noisy!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple