“5 years and running”

Lamies Inn and The Old Salt Tavern
Ranked #1 of 41 Hotels in Hampton
Reviewed 17 July 2010

My wife and I have just returned the NH and for 5 consecutive years have staved at Lamies. Coming From Texas, we love the New England hospitality provided at the Inn as well as their restaurant the Old Salt. In addition to the history provided by the establishment, their food is the best you can find in the Northeast and is better than most in the Boston area. Their staff is focused and friendly and when leaving it's almost like leaving family. Centrally located from everything especially the ocean adds to the appeal.

Reviewed 28 April 2010

For the past 15 years, my friend and I have spent two weekends a year at Lamie's Inn. We had always been greeted with a friendly welcome, by name, and were happy with our stay. Reservations were always a joy to make as we had always been serviced by Colleen who knew exactly which rooms we liked and which we didn't (more on that later). We even received a yearly Christmas card from the inn! So, it was with surprise that when we checked in this past Friday that Colleen no longer worked there. When we inquired where she was, we were curtly told that she was no longer working there. Upon our check in, the woman at the front desk did not seem too efficient. We were not told of any monthly specials, as was always the case in the past, and were un-ceremoniously given our keys to our room, the one which we did not wish to stay in because we had previously stayed there and had complained about the shower head, which is mounted on the wall at chest level! But we didn't want to make a fuss and we stayed in the room and practiced our yoga when trying to get into a comfortable position to wash our hair. We were also only given two bath towels for two people...not very convenient when taking an evening and morning shower or for using for drying your hair. The beds, while comfortable, are four poster and the tv cabinet is placed just so the post is directly blocking the tv screen, again not very convenient. The noise level outside the window is so loud that we had to close the window to get to sleep. The smokers from the bar congregate right outside the guest rooms so not only does the noise keep you up, the smoke filters into the room. Upon check out, the woman stated that she needed our information because we were not in the system. ??? We had been staying there for 15 years and they had our information at check in plus receiving the Christmas cards at my home address I didn't really understand this request. I feel that the management has put profit over the comfort and convenience of the guests. While we always felt that we were visiting a friend's home at our previous visits, this visit made us feel like we were strangers. We had overlooked some of the downfalls of the inn in the past because we felt the hospitality more than made up for the few inconveniences but now they were not acceptable because of they way we were meant to feel. It's a shame because we always enjoyed our stay at Lamie's and dinner at The Old Salt. Unfortunately, we won't return.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
6  Thank baileysmom81
lamies, Owner at Lamies Inn and The Old Salt Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2010

Dear Bailysmom81:

Thank you for your comments, we take them seriously. I am sorry to hear that, after 15 years of positive experiences, your last visit did not meet the excellence you have come to know from Lamie’s Inn. The next time you join us, I would like to meet with you personally to discuss you last visit. As the Innkeeper of Lamie’s Inn for the past nine years, I strive to make sure everyone is received with a “friendly welcome”, and is treated as I would hope and expect to be treated.
We realize that Staff changes can sometimes be difficult. The comfort of our guests is the main goal of our entire Lamies Inn staff from front desk to housekeeping. I am sure the employee you referred to will continue to provide you with the service you have come to know from her in her current position within the company.

Maureen Mazurkiewicz,
InnKeeper

Reviewed 19 April 2010

My thoughts on Lamies are consistent with other reviews here-- nice place, congenial spot, very comfortable. I was dumb enough to leave some personal property in my room and the staff was nice enough to contact me on my cellphone to let me know and to work out arrangements for me to get the item back. So, I'd recommend the place to anyone who is in the area--- not sure that it's interesting enough to warrant a special trip, but that may be a personal choice issue.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 November 2009

easy to check in, beautiful room with treats for our two dogs.Very clean, comfortable beds with good sized rooms......can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2009

I travelled with my physically disabled teen and was quite happy at discovering this wonderful historic Inn. Everyone was so helpful, from the chambermaids to the front desk staff, to the waitresses in the Old Salt restaurant. Maureen was especially helpful and went over and above to make sure our stay was pleasant. Wireless Internet is free and worked very well...we were on the ground floor. The Continental breakfast was a bit early for night owls like us but we made an extra effort to get there by 9:30 to take advantage of it. The bathroom for disabled travellers is exceptional. Walk-in shower...lots of space...chair for transfering in shower. The closet was even at the right height for someone in a wheelchair. This family-owned establishment is wonderful as is their adjoining renowned Old Salt restaurant. We decided early on that this was to be our dinner destination every single day...you won't be disappointed. The prices are great too. We loved that clam chowder so much that we bought a case of it to bring back home. The beach was a five-minute drive but it was worth being far from the noisy crowds at Hampton Beach. Parking is free for the disabled everywhere in New Hampshire. Just hang your disabled sign in your car and you can park anywhere without paying. Get to the beach early or late...parking is hard to find on hot, sunny days. Sometimes it took us one hour or more to find a spot in bumper to bumper traffic. Will definitely return at Lamie's. Super comfy Queen-sized bed and mini fridge and microwave in room at no extra charge.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 August 2009

Having been unfortunate enough to wake up in one of those motels along the Hampton strip in the past, I was frightened when we had to book two nights at the last minute, in order to join our family for an impromptu reunion. I HIT THE LOTTERY with this hotel, as not only was it a few minutes to the beach by car, but it is CLEAN AND SPOTLESS, quiet and cozy, with wonderful staff, and the amazing benefit of have the Old Salt Restaurant and Tavern right downstairs! The bed was comfortable (although the rooms are on the small side, and they do not have King sized beds), the AC worked wonders after a day in the sun. Yes, the bathroom is small, but it was immaculate, and the water pressure in the shower was terrific. We honestly can't wait to go back, and we will NEVER stay anyplace else!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2009

We had tix for the Ron White show at the Casino Ballroom on a Sunday nite, and didn't feel like driving back to Maine, so I did a search and Lamies came up. They were cheaper than hotels right near the Casino, and didn't require a multiple nite stay, so I booked a room for Sunday nite. Its a very small, old, hotel (read historic) and the front desk staff were friendly and efficient. The room, tho small (esp. the bathroom), was more than adequate and CLEAN! It is also a nice, quiet hotel - no doors slamming, people running up and down the hall, etc. I would DEFINITELY recommend it if you don't require a pool and don't mind smallish, old rooms. Beds were comfy, and we were very happy with our stay at Lamies.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple