All reviews new england golden retriever goat cheese plain room new owners guests feel welcome gas fireplace hash step back in time nooks and crannies modern conveniences sitting room goat farm wedding venue monadnock region comfortable bed beautiful town
Reviewed 7 November 2011

The new Inn owners, Marcia and Jarvis Coffin are sure to make the Hancock Inn a memorable destination for all who visit. We were there for a social gathering recently and we felt like we were guests in someone's home. Everything was beautifully appointed and Marcia and Jarvis seemed to anticipate every need. I unwittingly left my purse behind and they were incredibly thoughtful and got it to me quickly.

Date of stay: November 2011
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 2 November 2011

The Hancock Inn is a picture perfect historic New England Inn. It has great food, service and ambiance. The current owners have been there for two months and they seem to be trying to get it right. HOWEVER, a large golden retriever makes one's dining experience far less pleasurable than it should be. The dog has the run of the two dining areas and feels free to visit guests and sit by their tables. I like dogs, have owned dogs, but do not appreciate having a dog sniff the breakfast buffet before I get to it nor do I enjoy a dog eying my meals. In case the owners do not understand a worst case scenario, here is an example: at another B & B a large dog sat by me at the breakfast table and sneezed on my food. Since this is an old inn, sleep quality depends on the consideration of other guest.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank BunnyoftheGlen
Reviewed 22 October 2011

My wife and I were looking for the perfect New England getaway and found it. The inn had the perfect mix of charm and amenities.We were able to enjoy the foliage and come back to our room and not worry about driving to find dinner. The Hancock in restaurant is fantastic!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 October 2011

Inn was very cool in that it is so historic and really captures the mood of an old New England setting. Note that bathroom was quite small, and lighting in the room was very minimal (Moses Eaton). Jarvis insisted on helping us w/our luggage; not many b&b owners do that. Wife Marcia was also so friendly and accommodating, and made you feel welcome and relaxed. But the highlight was eating in the tavern: many folks rave about the pot roast but I had the braised short ribs and it was literally one of my best meals ever. My husband had the fish n chips and they too were maybe the best we ever had. Atmosphere can't be beat. And make sure you go to Frye's Measure Mill in Wilton while you're in the 'hood. Overall for the inn: great value for the price.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 October 2011

We recently stayed at the Hancock Inn during a fall foliage weekend. It was welcoming on a misty fall afternoon. The rooms are cozy and comfortable, although the bathrooms are on the small side (based on the 2 rooms I had access to). Each room has unique furnishings and decoration, although I think some updating is needed on curtains, lamp shades, etc, that look a bit worn. There are beautiful original wooden floors thoughout the inn. Everything was very clean.

In additional to serving breakfast (included), this inn has a restaurant for dinner and we had a fabulous meal there. We had the specialty cranberry pot roast which is not to be missed. All 3 of us in my traveling group had it and we all agreed.

Marsha and Jarvis were great hosts. They are there in the morning serving you breakfast and are also there at night seating you at dinner. I think Jarvis is also in the kitchen! They told us that they want to make sure they know every aspect of running the inn so they are busy, busy! But they were still always available and helpful.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends