“Great Stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Mount Lebanon, Pennsylvania
“Great Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

We stayed here as a layover between the White Mountains and Keene, NH. The town is a little more out of the way than I expected, but it may have seemed worse to us because our GPS got us a little lost. I know a lot of people look for small, quiet towns and this would be perfect for that.

The hotel was very cute from the outside. The inside was also very nice and undergoing renovations, but we wouldn't have noticed if they hadn't mentioned it. There were no tools laying around or anything unsightly while we were there.

We stayed in Miss Mary's room on the 3rd floor. The walk up all those stairs is never fun, but the room was very nice. We stayed with our toddler, and had enough room for us in the double bed and for her Kidco Peapod (tent) on the floor in the corner after moving a small chair. They said on the site they don't have cribs so we came prepared. Other than that, there wasn't a ton of room, but it was fine for a place to sleep. In an Inn, I don't expect to spend a lot of time in my room.

The room was very clean. The bathroom had very nice shampoos, lotions, etc. Much nicer than standard hotel ones. Since our daughter goes to sleep so early, that gave us a lot of time to read in the common area and watch TV. The channel selection was more than just basic stations, but a little limited, but I loved that there was a Comcast box which showed you the channel name and the show that was on. That's a nice feature when you don't know the local stations. There was also free wifi that worked really well on the 3rd floor.

It didn't seem there was a way to control the temperature in each individual room (which may be typical, I'm not sure), so it was a little chilly before I went to bed, but thanks to the extra pillows and wonderful extra blanket, I slept really well and the temperature seemed ok as I was getting ready for bed.

We never got to really eat in the restaurant there, but we saw a good amount of people having a good time in the dining room for dinner. For breakfast, I didn't get a good look around (we were checking out early to have breakfast in Keene), but we had some tea and coffee and grabbed some cereal for the road. It was an intimate room that was very cozy.

And best of all, the innkeepers were so kind. Always eager to help us in any way. I feel sorry we weren't spending more time at the Inn to enjoy the company of the other guests and the innkeepers.

If I were ever to come back to the area, I would happily return (maybe to a lower floor next time :> ). I wish the town were bigger, but I'm sure I'm not the norm. This place is great.

Room Tip: Our room was nice, but I might choose a lower floor next time. It was on the middle of the right si...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Korean first
Hancock, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here on a house hunting trip. Marcia and Jarvis were so incredibly hospitable to us. What a lovely building and they have done improvements as well. The room was great... Comfortable bedding, great facilities. We had a wonderful breakfast and great company with Potter! We will be moving to the area and will ensure our guests stay here. Thank you for a wonderful visit!

Stayed April 2012
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

I stayed here on a business trip and was so glad I did. My room was quaint, with one of the most comfortable mattresses I've used. Really. Everything was very clean and nice. Shower, Internet, heat..all worked great. The hosts are excited and determined to make this a great place, and from my standpoint, having never been before, it already was. Nice hot coffee kept me company while I worked in the afternoon. Sunday dinner was very simple, filling, and yummy. It was an additional cost, of course, but very modestly priced. And so warm and lovely a space. They even accommodated my vegetarian needs. Breakfast was part of the room fee, and they exceeded all of my expectations. Hash brown pancake was fantastic, too (which is a tricky thing to make right).

The dog is really sweet and calm. My daughter would have loved him.

If I"m ever in the area for a nice romantic weekend, or coming back through for work, I'd definitely return.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Over the past four years this has become our regular Valentine's week-end getaway. Our initial angst at new-owners was immediately dispelled when we walked through the front door.
Marcia and Jarvis quite obviously are naturals as inn-keepers. Their attention to detail coupled with some much needed (and very noticable) updates have made this inn even more charming and welcoming. Potter, the wonderfully good natured golden retriever, adds to the homey quality of this location.While the restaurant has always been good, the expanded menu and variety of options added to the overall dining experience, as did Andrea, who consistently strives to make all guests feel as though they are welcome and right at home.
Looking forward to our next week-end there.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2012

Recently sold to local family who love the facility and are putting significant effort into improvements. Interior is refreshed and updated (while preserving the authentic feel and antique charm); restaurant is vastly improved in quality and choices; friendly, clean and charming all the way around. Locals go to the restaurant and love it.

Room Tip: Speak with the Innkeepers directly and they will help you
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank PhDRN
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

We're just back form a long weekend at the Hancock Inn in Hancock, NH. We can't speak highly enough about the area, the town and, most of all, the Inn. The Monadnock area is simply beautiful (even in mid-January) and the town of Hancock is about as quaint and old town New England as it gets. Built in the late 1780s, the inn is a delight in so many ways, from the genuinely warm and welcoming innkeepers , to the gourmet meals and fine wine selection, to the Rufus Porter-painted murals dating from1825, to the friendly mix of locals and travelers. We will most certainly return.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tunoid
Natick, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2012

Words such as ‘hospitable’, ‘friendly’, and ‘welcoming’ were invented for the Hancock Inn. From the outstanding food to the comfortable accommodations, our visit was a very pleasant Thanksgiving get-away. And the Rufus Porter wall mural was a bonus.

Marita, Bridget, and Frank Byrne Littleton, MA and Natick, MA

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Frank_B27
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hancock
BEST WESTERN PLUS Keene Hotel
Fairfield Inn & Suites Keene Downtown
Courtyard Keene Downtown
Holiday Inn Express Keene
Jack Daniels Motor Inn
Jack Daniels Motor Inn
#1 of 1 in Peterborough
Crotched Mountain Resort & Spa

Been to Hancock Inn? Share your experiences!