“Too good for words!!!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Lowell
“Too good for words!!!”
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I have been to many places that were on the select registry. However, the Hancock Inn is absolutely incredible! Jarvis and Marcia were so wonderful it made our stay so relaxing. We brought our dog Jazzy which is a Rhodesian Ridgeback. They actually accomplished something that no other bed and breakfast has ever done... the food was sooooooo good that we actually made sure that we were up early enough for breakfast. We usually sleep in and miss the breakfast portion of our bed and breakfast but since the food at dinner was so incredible we made sure we were up early for breakfast. Let me tell you it was well worth it! Jarvis makes a homemade hash that is awesome. Everything is made fresh and is homemade. It is absolutely worth it. If you stay here I would advise that you make reservations to have dinner here because the food is outstanding! We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Korean first
Hermon, NY
Reviewed 7 July 2012

The Hancock Inn has been a most pleasant discovery. The proprietors, Jarvis and Marcia, are the most accommodating and charming hosts. The food is excellent. The service is wonderful. The staff is efficient and helpful. The rooms are comfortable and quiet. Our recent party of 14 enjoyed a most delightful experience in this historic Inn. Thank you Marcia and Jarvis. We will most certainly return!

Paul and Ann Pedersen

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Sudbury, MA
Reviewed 19 June 2012

Two weeks ahead of time we booked a reservation for an anniversary party for 11 people at the Hancock Inn. We arrived at 7:30 p.m. and were seated in a nice private room. The Inn was not terribly crowded, no more so than on any other night we have dined there. After 20 minutes or so, our drink order was finally taken. Twenty minutes after, the owner came in to tell us that he is unable to make our drinks as they had run out of Crown Royal. Two of us changed our drink order and a while later the drinks came. At 8:40, our appetizers came out. Many order onion soup, others ceasar salad. The soups were horrendous. There was no cheese on most of them, others had a tablespoon of broth and the rest was bread. Others had no bread and just broth without cheese. The salads were ordered with anchovies, a two dollar extra. When the salads came out, we were told that they had run out of anchovies. The salads ($9.00 each) had so much garlic on them they literally burned my tongue and made my eyes water. All soups and ceasar salads were sent back. At 9:40 p.m. I finally went to complain about having been there for over two hours without being served our main course. I mentioned that my 94 year old grandmother was with us and it was ridiculous to expect us to wait any longer. No apology or understanding. Rather, I was told our meals were being served as I spoke. The best way to sum up the food was that it sucked. The lamb was good but the liquified peas that looked like baby food and shaved carrots or yams (impossible to tell what they were) were truly disgusting. The gnocchi was served in what appeared to be still boiling water with frozen peas (in fact, the comment from the person who ordered it was "this is the worst meal I have ever gotten"). The salmon was served over white beans that were both cold and seemed to have been frozen. I could go on and on about what a disaster eating at the Inn was for all of us. At $24.00 to $28.00 for each main course, one would expect far better quality and service. Thanks to the Hancock Inn, the 55th anniversary was truly memorable. Unfortunately it was for all of the wrong reasons.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank K L
, Owner at Hancock Inn, responded to this review, 21 June 2012
We are terribly sorry that your party experience did not live up to your past visits - or visits of others in your party - to the Inn for dinner. Had we been more thoughtful we would have known to stock more Crown Royal, your family's drink of choice, in preparation for your party. We appreciate your graciousness in adjusting your orders when supplies ran out after four of the six Crown cocktails. It saddens us that you were not happy with your soup/salad course and those items were taken off the bill, which at that point was the most we could do. That evening we served a record number of dinners in the 10 months we have owned the Inn and had no other complaints about the food or service (but a number of compliments). Again, we are sorry this was not the experience of your party. We can only try and do better next time.

Jarvis & Marcia Coffin
Innkeepers
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Great place to stay. Only 10 minutes from Peterborough. The rooms are really nice and spacious, comfortable bed and nice bathroom. Very quiet. Staff are super friendly and they have a super cute dog.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Scarsdale, New York
Reviewed 11 May 2012

It was great to see that the innkeepers have taken such an interest in keeping this - the oldest operating inn in NH - in such good condition. I celebrated many a childhood birthday in the restaurant and came back after 25 years.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Mount Lebanon, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 May 2012

We stayed here as a layover between the White Mountains and Keene, NH. The town is a little more out of the way than I expected, but it may have seemed worse to us because our GPS got us a little lost. I know a lot of people look for small, quiet towns and this would be perfect for that.

The hotel was very cute from the outside. The inside was also very nice and undergoing renovations, but we wouldn't have noticed if they hadn't mentioned it. There were no tools laying around or anything unsightly while we were there.

We stayed in Miss Mary's room on the 3rd floor. The walk up all those stairs is never fun, but the room was very nice. We stayed with our toddler, and had enough room for us in the double bed and for her Kidco Peapod (tent) on the floor in the corner after moving a small chair. They said on the site they don't have cribs so we came prepared. Other than that, there wasn't a ton of room, but it was fine for a place to sleep. In an Inn, I don't expect to spend a lot of time in my room.

The room was very clean. The bathroom had very nice shampoos, lotions, etc. Much nicer than standard hotel ones. Since our daughter goes to sleep so early, that gave us a lot of time to read in the common area and watch TV. The channel selection was more than just basic stations, but a little limited, but I loved that there was a Comcast box which showed you the channel name and the show that was on. That's a nice feature when you don't know the local stations. There was also free wifi that worked really well on the 3rd floor.

It didn't seem there was a way to control the temperature in each individual room (which may be typical, I'm not sure), so it was a little chilly before I went to bed, but thanks to the extra pillows and wonderful extra blanket, I slept really well and the temperature seemed ok as I was getting ready for bed.

We never got to really eat in the restaurant there, but we saw a good amount of people having a good time in the dining room for dinner. For breakfast, I didn't get a good look around (we were checking out early to have breakfast in Keene), but we had some tea and coffee and grabbed some cereal for the road. It was an intimate room that was very cozy.

And best of all, the innkeepers were so kind. Always eager to help us in any way. I feel sorry we weren't spending more time at the Inn to enjoy the company of the other guests and the innkeepers.

If I were ever to come back to the area, I would happily return (maybe to a lower floor next time :> ). I wish the town were bigger, but I'm sure I'm not the norm. This place is great.

Room Tip: Our room was nice, but I might choose a lower floor next time. It was on the middle of the right si...