“Delightfully predictable”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
New London, New Hampshire
“Delightfully predictable”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Service is always prompt. My Asian student guests recently enjoyed it, including a Vietnemese dish, and pronounced our entire meal authentic. We always include Yama, and Hanover, in our guests itinerary. Casual, and public parking is across the street.

• Visited October 2013

CT Shoreline
“Good sushi here.”
Reviewed 27 September 2013 via mobile

Our 2nd trip to Hanover and having a great experience at Yama the first time, two years ago, we had to try it again. The food was just as good. We're not connissours but find Yama to be good place for sushi.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank MadCTsailors
White River Junction, Vermont
“consistently good”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I almost feel that I'd rather fib and say Yama isn't good- the waits are already pretty bad on weekend nights. But that would be disingenuous. Yama is simply a great experience. The prices are very fair, the service is really prompt (though in typical Asian style everything comes out willy-nilly when it's ready), there's some innovative Sushi (Tuck circle is amazing) and the little plates of appetizers are great. What's really surprising and interesting is that several of the waiters have real character. They're really interesting people who (when not busy) love to talk and interact with kids. Favorite (non-sushi) dishes: bimem bop in the clay pot, steamed veggie dumplings.

• Visited August 2013
MANCHESTER CENTER, VT
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Gorge Yourself With Seaweed”
Reviewed 9 September 2013

If i could be in South Korea and in a mood to stop and refuel with energizing, healthy food, accompanied by gracious service, old Boston Ritz Carlton "Grill Room" style, I could believe that I was enjoying the same experience. The differences would be a different cultural setting and the absence of "THE HARPIST" playing to the adding to the emotional tastes of the food. three weeks ago after visiting the amazing facilities of the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, Lebanon, NH, i went into Hanover. Short visit to the Dartmouth Bookstore(Barnes and Noble) for some grandboy books and headed for the Irving Gas Station on So. Main. Looked across and became absorbed by the YAMA signage saying "Korean and Japanese" foods. This was my new stagecoach stop as I wandered in and was graciously invited to sit. Minutes later i was approach by a native Korean Lady to inquire as to any help needed in understanding their menu featuring foods from the Korean and Japanese cuisines .I zeroed in on the "Seaweed Salad Appetizer". I had decided on a "Gluten Free Diet", a week prior and so, so good. Seaweed processed correctly is a gold mine of nutrients and contributes to digestion as well longevity, as part of the usual Asian Diet. Well, the table was set, the restaurant 90% occupied and busy. Another hostess wisks the mountainous portion of the salad, followed by another person with five small bowls of various vegetables creating a literal mini-feast in front of my eyes. Chopsticks and all, I savored all these delicacies at a grand total of $5.95. The original Hostess then returns to ask me about impressions and the we proceed to a second course. I also, requested tea at some point, yet it never made an appearance. i asked her about their soups that usually are an experience of a higher order. i was advised that the soup that match "my tastes' was the first listed in that section; sirloin strips with no rice or noodles, yet with ingredients that i could not identify(very unlike me). I knew thee were mushrooms and other firsts mixed. no specifics and i did not dare ask these people who I sensed were enjoying watching sample while they tended to other clients. I had requested rice. informed that this soup in riceless! i ordered brown organic rice, cooked and added it to the soup stock as i was still trying to analyse the ingredients. At last, this part of the meal ended very pleasingly. no tea!, Two true ladies came to make sure i was happy-no tea, now, no pineapple. yet, the latter two were meaningless. paid my bill of $11.65; was bowed to by The Elegant Ladies, thanked by the Gentleman at the payment booth and finally told myself that this experience was just a little surrealistic; smiled and made a dash for the excellent GELATO shop directly across the street. Both places put a smile to my face and a skip to my walk. it is a special place, as is Hanover and Dartmouth College. PETER H. DRAGONAS, M. D., NEW YORK, BOSTON, ZAKYNTHOS, IONIAN IS. GREECE.

• Visited July 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Afterwards you tell yourself that you should have known better.”
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I am probably not writing to you, but if you are selective and appreciate premium-quality fish and vegetables then I would suggest resisting whatever curiosity you might have and staying away from Yama's. The interior is spare and so was the service. The level of both was just less than what you might expect at a good fish fry. The food was regrettable, much of what was served was not fresh despite what other reviewers will have you believe, and I finished my sushi roll only with guilt because I seek out excuses to eat fish, ginger (the dyed pink variety served here) and wasabi, and I dislike wasting money. For hours afterward my mind and stomach were inconsolable.

• Visited June 2013