“Nice Little Surprise”
Review of Six South St Hotel

Six South St Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hanover
Reviewed 17 November 2011

Went for a Dartmouth recruiting trip and stayed one night. Was a pleasent surprise as I wasnt expecting much - having stayed at various hotels in small towns. Very convenient location, nice interior and clean and elegant rooms. Price not exactly cheap - but not too expensive either. Nice breakfast in the morning to top it off. Thumbs up.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank adesai

Reviewed 16 October 2011

Six South Street was our favorite place we stayed while doing a tour of many northeast colleges. The service was excellent, the beds were extremely comfortable with luxurious linens and it's in a great location steps from the main street in Hanover and the Dartmouth campus. I hope my daughter gets admitted to Dartmouth, so I can return to this hotel!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
ssshanover, General Manager at Six South St Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2011

Thanks so much for your wonderful comments!
We hope that your daughter gets into Dartmouth too!
Best of luck !

Reviewed 9 October 2011

As a Dartmouth grad I have always stayed at The Inn if I could get a room there. But the last time I stayed at the Inn, this past June, I swore it would be my last. I had another trip planned to Hanover this past weekend and I had heard about this new hotel in Hanover that everyone said was great. So, last week I stayed there and I can honestly tell you it was, in fact, great! Everyone was friendly. The rooms were spacious and very clean. Towels, pillows, sheets etc., were all very high quality. And, as a bonus, the hotel is within walking distance of everything on campus, 2 blocks! It is Hanover’s version of a W Hotel with a Hanover flavor!

Room Tip: Book early as the hotel will likely be full as it is that nice!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
dljrhh, General Manager at Six South St Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2011

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience at our new boutique hotel here in downtown Hanover. We truly hope that more Dartmouth grads like you will discover the hospitality of the Six South St Hotel. Thanks for spreading the good word!

Reviewed 3 October 2011

We stayed here one night after touring northern Vermont and we wanted to be closer to the Manchester airport for our flight home the next day. I selected this property because it seemed to be a good, non-chain hotel in a pretty small town. We found the it to be attractive , clean and well kept. The rooms were very small. There were three adults in our party and it was really tight. There is nothing real special about the hotel. I do feel that for what we got it was very, very overpriced. We couldn't even get an AAA or AARP discount. In addition to the exhorbitant rate we also had to pay to valet park. We had breakfast in the restaurant and it was very mediocre and the waitress was very strange. I am glad we didn't eat dinner there. If I were in the area again I would not stay here unless the rate was half of what we paid.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 September 2011

Six South Street pitches itself as a boutique hotel in contemporary style with a great location, and it pretty much does what it says on the tin.

We stayed here for one night in September and found it perfectly acceptable, but very expensive. Given the target market with very little competition in a top college town, I guess this is inevitable.

There was a mix-up with our room initially, when the computer allocated us to a room that had not been cleaned, but the desk staff sorted this out quickly and were very apologetic, giving us coupons for complimentary breakfast to compensate.

The room was a good size and pretty clean and comfortable, with a good bathroom, although the "contemporary" style is already showing a little wear and tear and it also felt a bit sterile and anonymous, as pretty much every "boutique style contemporary" hotel we've stayed in seems to go for the same look. It was pretty quiet, as the hotel is on a side street, so we slept well enough.

Breakfast was OK, but not really up to the hotel's price/standard, so I'm glad we hadn't had to pay for it. Next time we would probably just go around the corner to Lou's Restaurant on South Main Street, which has an excellent breakfast menu.

The location was great, just off South Main Street, but given the size of Hanover pretty much anywhere is going to be within walking distance of the town centre. But is is nice to be able to walk out of your hotel and find yourself right in the middle of things.

Overall, this hotel pretty much met our expectations based on its website, and treated us well enough, so I'm giving it 4 stars, but it is very expensive and I certainly wouldn't bother paying for breakfast here.

Room Tip: Don't bother paying for breakfast.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
dljrhh, General Manager at Six South St Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2011

Always a pleasure to receive a 4-star rating along with constructive and positive feedback.
Thanks very much !

Reviewed 24 September 2011

On my third visit (TA wouldn't allow a second review b/c the stay was within 30 days), the hotel is still outstanding. The bar and restaurant business is brisk and the staff seems very comfortable and settled in with their high level of service and attention.
The rooms are still immaculate....the bathrooms spotless....the room amenities great without being overpowering (no bottled water for sale...the wireless is free and bandwidth is good) There has never been an issue on my three visits (6 nights total) with noise, cleanliness, service or attentiveness.

Rates are competitive (which also means they are pricey during a Dartmouth event...but commensurate with lesser quality properties). Always a good value.

The staff is to be commended on their service and the owners on their continued committment to excellence in the upkeep of the property.

Room Tip: For non-native New Englanders...choose a west facing room b/c sunrise is early!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
dljrhh, General Manager at Six South St Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2011

Thank you for your high praise of "Six South". Your detailed feedback about all aspects of your past visits is much appreciated. We will pass along your praise to the staff. They all work hard to make a positive impression on each and every guest and your review will provide further motivation to be the best in Hanover!

Reviewed 15 September 2011

I stayed at this hotel after I was double-booked at the Marriott. I am real glad I was placed here instead. The rooms were similar to something you would find at a W or a nice Westin. Very modern and clean. Staff was great. Parking was expensive ($18) for a small town but the parking in Hanover is pretty bad anyways.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hanover
Hanover Inn Dartmouth
Hanover Inn Dartmouth
#1 of 2 in Hanover
Element Hanover-Lebanon
Residence Inn by Marriott Hanover Lebanon
Courtyard Hanover Lebanon
Holiday Inn Express & Suites White River Junction
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Whi...
#2 of 8 in White River Junction
Hampton Inn White River Junction
Hampton Inn White River Junction
#1 of 8 in White River Junction

Been to Six South St Hotel? Share your experiences!