“Superb”
Review of Hood Museum of Art

Hood Museum of Art
Ranked #3 of 12 things to do in Hanover
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Our family likes to visits college and university museums because they work well for children being teaching museums. Also the scale is manageable and they're affordable. The Hood Museum of Art at Dartmouth is one of the best we've ever visited. The man at the front desk was gracious and welcoming. One of the first things we noticed was how well the art is exhibited - the lighting, the grouping and spacing of the works, even the paint colors on the wall - all enhanced the overall experience of viewing the art. The six Assyrian stone reliefs were stunning. It was wonderful to be able to show my sons cuneiform which they had learned about in school but never seen. I even managed to get them to listen to most of the lengthy translation by whispering it to them in a Voldemort/Walter White voice. Other favorite works from our visit were the stunning Saint Barbara statue from the late 1400s and Bob Haozous's contemporary piece, Apache Pull Toy. There are excellent pamphlets called A Closer Look next to some of the art. They are very well done and we enjoyed using them at the museum and reading them more throughly at home.

There are newer reviews for Hood Museum of Art

Reviewed 19 February 2014

This museum has a nice mix of classic and contemporary art. It's on the small side, but the variety of works keeps things interesting. The woman at reception was very welcoming. The galleries were very peaceful and quiet. A must see if visiting Hanover. And admission is free!

We had trouble finding it at first and drove by twice before locating it on the third pass. The museum building is set back from the road and in between two larger buildings. And be aware there is no dedicated parking but Hanover is pretty walkable and there is plenty of metered parking in the area.

1  Thank Not_from_here617
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I would have to say that the temporary Picasso exhibit "Vollard Suite" was a disturbing eye opener into the mind of Picasso..
The collections are especially rich in American art and are my favorite place to spend time. There is no cost to visit and is generally not very crowded.

1  Thank JohnBourgon
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I was greeted at the entrance- I loved the exhibits up stairs and the permanent collection downstairs. There were even people available for questions and conversation. My boyfriend and I loved it!

Reviewed 28 October 2013

A very nice, diverse, well-displayed collection of art and artifacts. Located in the center of Hanover with easy access to other local attractions.