“fighting flies while dining”
Review of Jewel of India

Jewel of India
Ranked #20 of 39 Restaurants in Hanover
Price range: US$5 - US$20
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Dinner, Delivery
Dining options: Dinner, Delivery
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I rly wish my review here could be a raving one because the food was so good. Unfortunately, it's not. The staff were not as friendly as I felt they should have been and service was slow for being a tuesday evening and only one other party dining in. i was constantly swatting away fruit flies throughout the meal- gross and annoying! One of the employees or owners kept making these disgusting noises like he was hawking up a loogie, although never spit (so, i guess it could have been worse!) The food was delicious though! Cheap house wines available. So, if this other stuff doesn't matter to you, then I'd give it 5 stars, but I just personally can't overlook them.

1  Thank gingerale2011

Reviewed 6 November 2013

We lived in England for a year and a half and fell in love with Indian food while living there. It was a bit disappointing coming back to the states where the selection of Indian restaurants is limited. We have found the food at Jewel of India to be very good (not quite what we had in England but definitely a close one). We eat there at least once a month. We especially enjoy their samosa's and their Kadi Pakora Sindi!

2  Thank Kim W
Reviewed 31 August 2013 via mobile

The only redeeming part of the service on the day we ate here was the comedic guessing game of wondering what would go wrong next. Missed order? Yup. Bickering staff? Yes. Missing silverware? Got that.

The food was fine, and the prices reasonable. Perhaps on another day things would be better, but we kept waiting to see John Cleese pop out from the back room.

2  Thank M M
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Seemed like it was mostly a take out place but the food was very nice and we sat on the glassed in porch which had air conditioning

3  Thank lucyonvacation
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I often go to lunch at Jewel of India. It is a solid value on par in terms of price, quality, and service, with two other eastern restaurants in town -- The Orient (Chinese/+Sushi) and Yama (Korean/+Sushi). Its not the best Indian restaurant I have ever been to, but for Hanover, it is an excellent choice. I was compelled to write this review because after reading "Memorably Bad" I was convinced that the reviewer had not eaten at Jewel, but instead had eaten at the other Indian restaurant (gladly now out of business) called India Queen. That place was truly disgusting, and the description of the food in "MB" fits the Queen to a tee.

4  Thank andycNorwich