“Decent Indian food in Hanover”
Review of Jewel of India

Jewel of India
Ranked #20 of 38 Restaurants in Hanover
Price range: US$5 - US$20
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Dinner, Delivery
Dining options: Dinner, Delivery
Reviewed 29 August 2014

Ate for the third or fourth time at Jewel of India. It is a decent option in Hanover, especially on a Friday night when the usual haunts (e.g. Molly's) is packed to the gills. We sat outside as it was a nice night - a very good choice. It's nice and relaxing out there.

Food was fine - nothing outstanding and nothing terrible. Solid, basic Americanized Indian fare. We had paneer pakora for starters which were chewy but tasty. I had tandoor chicken which was full of flavor and nicely presented. I had one piece which was a bit undercooked but otherwise good. We also had the lamb korma and chicken korma which were, again, good but not outstanding.

As others mention, the naan is excellent - fresh and hot. Service was friendly but quite slow. We were warned by our hostess that this would be the case so that was fine. They were busy enough to never take a drink order - first time that has ever happened.

We will continue to go back to Jewel of India whenever we have a craving for Indian.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

The door was open to a couple of weary travelers. Stepping inside my husband was told they were not open till 15 minutes. Because we wanted this type of food we waited.

Husband had butter chicken. It was a very bland,over liquid, stingy with the chicken creation.

My chili chicken was supposed to be medium hot. I opened it and it tasted like hospital food until I discovered the little red sauce container that no one told us about. I added it to gain the heat I desired. The dish then came alive. It created a saliva explosion with a sort of citrus pop.

I prefer a thicker sauce...there was a little more liquid than I like. My husband and I consumed my order and threw away the butter chicken. So my travel friends I would avoid the butter chicken. The chili chicken is very much worth a visit!!!

2  Thank jabez6311
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

Hello while in Hanover me and some friends ate here for lunch. The food was very good and tasty. I did fine the portions to be very small though. None of us have every been here so we didn't realize they close at 2:30 for lunch. Instead of saying politely that they are closed. The staff came over and told us they are closed we need to go. This made a very tasty lunch disappointing.

2  Thank HH361
Reviewed 30 May 2014

The food here is excellent! Love the Shrimp Pakora, Naan, chicken tika masala, and chicken shahi korma. We do takeout quite a bit and it usually takes 10-15 minutes longer than they tell you on the phone, but it is clearly worth the wait!

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Not much atmosphere here. Waiter did not appear to enjoy his work. Food was good enough. The samosa breading and the naan were the standouts above other Indian restaurants I've tried. They were generous with the tamarind sauce and mint chutney, for the samosas, which I appreciated. I will probably try this place again when in the area.