“Must have been a bad night”

Candela Tapas & Lounge
Ranked #12 of 39 Restaurants in Hanover
Cuisines: Spanish, Latin
Good for: Bar Scene, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“Must have been a bad night”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

Disappointing... let's start with service and restroom. Although we were seated promptly (we had a reservation) it took some time before a server approached our table of 4. It was Friday night after a long week and a long drive and we were definitely ready for a drink and Tapas. Even after making that pretty clear the pitcher of Sangria was a long time coming. Meanwhile I visited the restroom which at 7:30 on a Friday I would expect to be fully stocked. No toilet paper! none in cabinet sitting by toilet either. I promptly reported this to staff as I exited but when I visited again at approximately 9:30 there was still no toilet paper.
There were 4 of us and we ordered a selection of tapas including 2 specials - scallops & Lamp Lollipops. While serving staff did bring out a new tapas dish to share promptly as one was done our wait staff did not return for quite awhile. We had empty glasses for a longtime and would have enjoyed the next pitcher of Sangria midway through the meal instead of the end when we reminded staff there was one tapas we hadn't been served - the lamb special.
The tapas were good not great, the service was very poor. Maybe it was just a bad night but given the food was only good why would I go back? I won't. A lesson the owner operators- I work hard for my money and I expect to get good service for it.

Visited June 2014
2 Thank grapetomato

Andover, Massachusetts
“Friendly place, very good tapas”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

We went early before a 7:00 show at the Hop. The Sangria was OK, but could have used more fruit. The tapas were very good, especially the empanadas, the meatballs with bleu cheese, and the setas (mushrooms), which were our favorite. Jimmy, the owner, is from Puerto Rico and has included Puerto Rican specialties such as mofongo on the menu. Service was prompt and very friendly. We look forward to returning.

• Visited April 2014
Hanover, New Hampshire
“Great little restaurant in a great little town!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

My husband and I live in Hanover, so we are always excited to try any new restaurant that opens in town. We tried twice before to eat here, but both times we did not have a reservation and the place was packed. Who knew that at 5:00, right when it opened, that the place would already be full. This is great for a new business in town! We finally pre-planned our dinner and made a reservation. We had excellent service, the tapas were delicious, and the wine flight was a great way to taste different Spanish wines. Highly recommend the lamb lollipop. Make sure you leave a lot of room for dessert if you order the delicious churros, they are HUGE! This restaurant adds a great new flavor to a college town that has a host of pizzerias and all-American Grill type food. Make sure you understand how a tapas restaurant works before going or writing a review- the foods are meant to be small plates, and are meant to be shared!

Visited February 2014
Lebanon, New Hampshire
“A Tapas selection is a great addition to Hanover”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

My favorite eating experience is small portions. This gives Cathy and I the chance to sample several offerings. We did not have a reservation, which I would strongly suggest, but the host still found us a seat. Of the four choices, Lamb Lollipops were the best. Cooked and seasoned perfectly. The scallop offering left a bit to be desired, mainly because the scallops were of poor quality. It appears from my eating experiences in the Upper Valley, good seafood is hard to find.
They offer an excellent selection of wines. Many of the patrons, including my wife, choose a 3 glass flight of samples. This gave her an interesting way to compare food and wine combinations.
Make sure you leave room for dessert. Cathy and I shared the Chocolate Molten Cake. We both agreed that it was one of the best desserts we have had in many years. They make the dessert fresh for each serving, so you will have about a 20 minute wait. Trust me it is well worth it. If you are at a different restaurant in the Hanover area and you have room for dessert, stop at Candela for the Chocolate Molten cake. You will not be disappointed.
The Tapas prices were very reasonable and portion sizes enough to share. Service was excellent. The only complaint I would have is the bottle price for wines $34-42.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank JohnBourgon
Meriden, Connecticut
“Great Tapas Meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

We had great meal last night at Candela Tapa. The Risotto de Congri was amazing. Very friendly and welcoming. I would recommend this restaurant and will go again.

• Visited February 2014