“What it takes for excellence”
Review of Canoe Club

Canoe Club
Ranked #12 of 39 Restaurants in Hanover
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 23 March 2014

If you were not a gourmand you wouldn't be reading this review. So what does someone of your taste want in a restaurant experience? Certainly fine dining. But what else? Some things: A welcoming front end -- smiling host or hostess, easy access to a good table, a sense of welcome. Really professional wait staff -- knowledgeable, attentive but not overbearing, great sense of timing, personal attention. A great kitchen -- willing to make adjustments and substitutions to please a discerning diner such as you. Canoe Club in Hanover, NH hit all the right notes this evening. It was a symphony of delights. On Mom's 90th birthday another restaurant in town flubbed our reservation badly and there I was with a nonogenarian and her cane on a bitter cold night. I called the Canoe Club and explained my predicament. They were most gracious. The hostess seated us at a window table and placed us in the loving hands of Emily. She smiled and took us through the specials with charm. When I asked for an odd cocktail she assured, "No problem". When Mom asked for a totally different sauce on her Maine mussels, Emily promised it would be no problem. Emily and the kitchen conspired to provide us a fabulous meal served with style. And then -- the Canoe Club comped Mom her dessert! That is one class act and we were so very grateful. This one's a winner!

1  Thank Kalonymos
There are newer reviews for Canoe Club

Reviewed 17 March 2014

The Canoe Club surpassed our expectations for a romantic dinner in Hanover. Live piano playing completed the atmosphere, the food made me close my eyes to savor the taste, and the service was not only outstanding, but timed perfectly. An outstanding choice for any occasion!

Reviewed 27 February 2014

We go mostly to hear Randall play the piano Which he does a great job. The wait staff has always been great. I think the food is a little on the high priced side, some of the meals are good but the you can get some which are just OK and when I pay on the high end for a meal it should always be great. Like I said my wife and I go here to listen to Randall when he is the entertainment. Probably would not go if he was not playing here.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

I have visited Canoe Club several times and the food is usually more miss than hit. They seem to try very hard to be an upscale restaurant, but the food I get is usually weird or not even that good. They also charge a premium price for the area, so I expect more.

1  Thank Ida778
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I used to love this restaurant. It has a great ambiance, but the food was a disaster. Weird menu with weird combination of ingredients. It's like they were trying to be "foodie" without any idea on how to do it. All three of our meals were just bad. Will not return. Bummer.