“A home away from home”

Trumbull House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Hanover B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 June 2012

I have had the opportunity to stay at the Trumbull House Bed and Breakfast on more than one occasion. I have had a wonderful time on both occasions. Most recently I had an extremely relaxing experience. I love the location. Hanover is a great place to spend time in. I love the breakfasts and the owner is lovely. She makes your stay quite enjoyable. Doodle is the best. My accommodations were great, comfortable, and relaxing. I was in town visiting family and Trumbull house made my visit even more enjoyable. I would highly recommend staying here. Hopefully I will be planning another trip there soon.

Room Tip: I enjoyed staying on a higher floor it was more cozy.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Diana C

Reviewed 28 January 2012

We had a very pleasant experience when my husband, son and I stayed at Trumbull House B & B for a Friday night when recently visited our daughter who is a student at Dartmouth. The Hanover Inn (very convenient) is currently closed for renovations (until spring 2012), and Six South and the Norwich Inn were unexpectedly full. We arrived late at night and were generously welcomed by the owners' daughter. All was in readiness and we followed her brief directions to the third floor "Yellow Room" - a medium-sized room with a king bed, a twin trundle, a sink in the room, and a tiny private bath with toilet and bath/shower stall. Our room was $209, plus $30 for an extra person.

Highlights: The room was spotlessly clean. The towels were thick and the sheets were clean and fresh. I found myself wondering--as I do in every hotel--if the bedspread was clean or had been there for previous guests. It certainly seemed clean, and when downstairs, though an open door to the back of the house I glimpsed piles of clean laundry, some of which was the same design as the bedspread, leading me to believe that they were changed for every guest. Our room had its own individually controlled electric heat--always a pleasure since we prefer sleeping in a cooler room. Our night was quiet, and we heard no noise other guests. Breakfast was made to order, abundant, and really delicious. We had coffee & tea, orange juice, home-made ginger scones, fruit salad with berries, and a choice of omelettes, french toast, pancakes, or eggs. Our daughter joined us for breakfast (which for $15 extra was well worth it), and we each ordered something different and all enjoyed our breakfast immensely.

Lowlights: Previous reviewers had complained of lack of maintenance and I truly think this is because perhaps expectations are not in alignment with reality. Many of the rooms at Trumbull House are pricey -- $279 for another queen-bedded "suite" on the second floor -- leading one to expect similar accommodations to Six South ($279-ish), the Norwich Inn ($139-209), or almost as nice as the Hanover Inn ($295+). In contrast, the Trumbull House is a nicely-decorated house, renovated to accommodate guests, that could easily be a large home for a family. The common rooms downstairs were tastefully furnished--but upstairs there was cheap-feeling wall-to-wall carpeting, a chair with a slipcover was needing repair, and hollow-core bedroom doors. Our king bed mattress was squishy and bouncy--perhaps a matter of preference, but it was no Tempur-Pedic.

Breakfast was a communal affair with the other B & B guests. This is the main reason I avoid B & Bs as a rule - I prefer more anonymity when I travel, and in this case I was disappointed not to be able to spend time alone with our daughter. HOWEVER, our breakfast conversation turned out to be energetic and fascinating as the other guests included a young woman visiting Dartmouth as prospective student with her father, and a Harvard post-doc seeking a teaching position there. We ended up having much in common and lingering over our coffee for an extra half hour -- the experience reminding me that I should make more of an effort to avoid pre-conceived ideas, rather than breakfast with strangers!

Room Tip: Pets allowed in "The Cottage". You might hear people walking around above you from second...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank jmremsen
Reviewed 20 November 2011

I stayed at the Trumbull House mid-week, last minute while traveling for business. The owner was extremely accommodating and pleasant from the get go. The inn is beautiful and well appointed. My room was comfortable, clean and spacious. Breakfast was incredible, views were amazing and Doodle, the smiling Golden Doodle was a highlight!!! I would definitely recommend staying here over a hotel any day of the week!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 November 2011

We stayed at the Tumbull House on a whim as we are not usually B&B people, but what a great experience it turned out to be. The Inn's atmosphere was relaxing and all the rooms were very clean.
Breakfast was the best we've ever had at a hotel. I would highly recommend the Trumbull House for someone who wants to experience the best of New England.

Room Tip: You can go online and look at each room and request the one you want.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank laurie s
Reviewed 30 October 2011

I have been staying at the Trumbull House regularly for two years and have always enjoyed the stay. The rooms are nicely furnished, spacious, and the beds are comfortable. My favorite room is the "White Room" which received an inexplicably poor review recently, which I disagree with. The room is very appealing and has always been clean during my visits, not shabby or dirty as mentioned in the other review. Really can't say enough about the place - the hosts are friendly and accommodating, the grounds are beautiful, and the rooms are comfortable. I would recommend this as the best place to stay in the Hanover area.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Rich S
Reviewed 21 October 2011

We had been traveling all day and as we usually do, it was by the "seat of the pants". We arrived in Lebanon, NH and started chaecking around. Called Trumbull house first. . We were quoted a reduced price for the only available room, a suite. It was $206 which was a good bit more than their cheapest room, of $139 so we called around. Days Inn was only about $50 less, smoking only, and no breakfast so we opted for Trumbell house. Good choice. Finding it was a bit tough because street signs aren't a high priority in the north east, but I digress. We arrived and it was picture perfect. The rooms are comfortable and well decorated. If you are expecting cutting edge chic elegance this isn't it, but if you want the genuine New England experience, stay here. Our hostess recommened several restaurants in Hanover but we wound up eating at Molly's. The carrot cake there is amazing. We ate on it for three days. Pizza was good too! When we left Texas it was 106 degrees, dry and dusty. When we arrived at Trumbull house, it was 60 degrees. cloudy and misting. How wonderful! We slept with the windows open. The babbling "brook" across the street had more water in it than the Pecos river. Open windows, down comforter: we slept like rocks, but not without romance! Did not get a chance to use the Jacuzzi tub, though. The next morning broke clear and blue. Breakfast was stellar! A menu that included among other items, scambled eggs and smoked salmon. The grounds were immaculate and I would have enjoyed staying longer. Feel free to negotiate price in the off season, but it's worth the money.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mblair441
Reviewed 18 October 2011

I don't know what the negative reviewers are thinking...I stayed in the Terra Cotta room, on the third floor. Very spacious, lots of windows, squeaky clean, comfortable bed and a great breakfast with lots of choices...what more could you want?! Situated on a back road near Hanover Center 15-minutes from Dartmouth. Lovely grounds, rushing brook across the street. Only negative is very poor cell service...your text will go, but probably not your phone call. Excellent wireless, and a shared computer (on the second floor landing). Highly recommend for anyone visiting the area who wants a nice alternative to a boring hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank GLennox
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hanover
Hanover Inn Dartmouth
Courtyard Hanover Lebanon
Fireside Inn & Suites
Fireside Inn & Suites
#4 of 7 in Lebanon

Been to Trumbull House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!