“Too overpriced and not welcoming” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Trumbull House Bed and Breakfast

Trumbull House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Hanover B&B and Inns
Chicago
“Too overpriced and not welcoming”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

Upon our arrival, the house was completely empty. The door of the B&B was opened. Anyone could have come into the house. On a sheet of paper we were given instructions on how to reach our room. The room was spacious. The towels, the bedding had a stench of humidity. The bed was too soft and we had the impression of falling. The AC was incredibly noisy. Overall we did not have a good night sleep. The next morning, we were served a wonderful breakfast (smoked salmon should however not be cooked) unfortunately it did not make up for the rest.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank VBast

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Martha's Vineyard, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2012

In fact, it is utterly easy to make yourself at home at The Trumbull House.

Hilary, the gracious, friendly and easy-going owner, is happiest when guests kick back, sit by the fire, take a walk in the adjoining woods, enjoy Hanover and Dartmouth, and schedule (a superb, customized) breakfast at whatever time best suits you. Nice! And, not least, I've always found my fellow travelers to be excellent company at breakfast.

If I'm within fifty miles and need a good night's rest, I'll head directly for Hanover and The Trumbull House.

Tony B.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank T B
Berkeley, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012

This is a sweet old B&B with great grounds including a swimming pond. Breakfast was good with choices ranging from pancakes to omlets. The pond was great for the adults, but not so good for our youngest who isn't a strong swimmer. The close proximity to Hanover and Dartmouth was convenient. The two pluses for us west-costers were fireflies and forest trails that start right from the house. The two negatives were an uncomfortable sofa bed and the price. Still, all in all it was a pleasant stay.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Thoreau L
Briarcliff Manor, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

I have had the opportunity to stay at the Trumbull House Bed and Breakfast on more than one occasion. I have had a wonderful time on both occasions. Most recently I had an extremely relaxing experience. I love the location. Hanover is a great place to spend time in. I love the breakfasts and the owner is lovely. She makes your stay quite enjoyable. Doodle is the best. My accommodations were great, comfortable, and relaxing. I was in town visiting family and Trumbull house made my visit even more enjoyable. I would highly recommend staying here. Hopefully I will be planning another trip there soon.

Room Tip: I enjoyed staying on a higher floor it was more cozy.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Diana C
Dover, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2012

We had a very pleasant experience when my husband, son and I stayed at Trumbull House B & B for a Friday night when recently visited our daughter who is a student at Dartmouth. The Hanover Inn (very convenient) is currently closed for renovations (until spring 2012), and Six South and the Norwich Inn were unexpectedly full. We arrived late at night and were generously welcomed by the owners' daughter. All was in readiness and we followed her brief directions to the third floor "Yellow Room" - a medium-sized room with a king bed, a twin trundle, a sink in the room, and a tiny private bath with toilet and bath/shower stall. Our room was $209, plus $30 for an extra person.

Highlights: The room was spotlessly clean. The towels were thick and the sheets were clean and fresh. I found myself wondering--as I do in every hotel--if the bedspread was clean or had been there for previous guests. It certainly seemed clean, and when downstairs, though an open door to the back of the house I glimpsed piles of clean laundry, some of which was the same design as the bedspread, leading me to believe that they were changed for every guest. Our room had its own individually controlled electric heat--always a pleasure since we prefer sleeping in a cooler room. Our night was quiet, and we heard no noise other guests. Breakfast was made to order, abundant, and really delicious. We had coffee & tea, orange juice, home-made ginger scones, fruit salad with berries, and a choice of omelettes, french toast, pancakes, or eggs. Our daughter joined us for breakfast (which for $15 extra was well worth it), and we each ordered something different and all enjoyed our breakfast immensely.

Lowlights: Previous reviewers had complained of lack of maintenance and I truly think this is because perhaps expectations are not in alignment with reality. Many of the rooms at Trumbull House are pricey -- $279 for another queen-bedded "suite" on the second floor -- leading one to expect similar accommodations to Six South ($279-ish), the Norwich Inn ($139-209), or almost as nice as the Hanover Inn ($295+). In contrast, the Trumbull House is a nicely-decorated house, renovated to accommodate guests, that could easily be a large home for a family. The common rooms downstairs were tastefully furnished--but upstairs there was cheap-feeling wall-to-wall carpeting, a chair with a slipcover was needing repair, and hollow-core bedroom doors. Our king bed mattress was squishy and bouncy--perhaps a matter of preference, but it was no Tempur-Pedic.

Breakfast was a communal affair with the other B & B guests. This is the main reason I avoid B & Bs as a rule - I prefer more anonymity when I travel, and in this case I was disappointed not to be able to spend time alone with our daughter. HOWEVER, our breakfast conversation turned out to be energetic and fascinating as the other guests included a young woman visiting Dartmouth as prospective student with her father, and a Harvard post-doc seeking a teaching position there. We ended up having much in common and lingering over our coffee for an extra half hour -- the experience reminding me that I should make more of an effort to avoid pre-conceived ideas, rather than breakfast with strangers!

Room Tip: Pets allowed in "The Cottage". You might hear people walking around above you from second...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank jmremsen
Gray, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2011

I stayed at the Trumbull House mid-week, last minute while traveling for business. The owner was extremely accommodating and pleasant from the get go. The inn is beautiful and well appointed. My room was comfortable, clean and spacious. Breakfast was incredible, views were amazing and Doodle, the smiling Golden Doodle was a highlight!!! I would definitely recommend staying here over a hotel any day of the week!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
norwich, vt
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2011

We stayed at the Tumbull House on a whim as we are not usually B&B people, but what a great experience it turned out to be. The Inn's atmosphere was relaxing and all the rooms were very clean.
Breakfast was the best we've ever had at a hotel. I would highly recommend the Trumbull House for someone who wants to experience the best of New England.

Room Tip: You can go online and look at each room and request the one you want.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank laurie s
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hanover
Hanover Inn Dartmouth
Residence Inn Hanover Lebanon
Fireside Inn & Suites
Fireside Inn & Suites
#3 of 7 in Lebanon

Been to Trumbull House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!