“Like a Hallmark Card”

Hanover Inn Dartmouth
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hanover
Reviewed 10 January 2014

The hotel was fantastic. It was impeccably decorated and all dressed up for the holidays. There was a ginger bread village representing farm to table eating. There were several Christmas trees and also a menorah to celebrate the season.

The room was decorated very well, up to date, and cleaned to a high standard. Ladies will appreciate the thoughtfulness of the toiletries including a Shout wipe and Q-tips. I also appreciated the genius of the black wash clothe designated for make up which made life a lot easier. The front desk staff were so helpful and nice. The doorman was also gorgeous, and a little eye candy never hurts.

• Stayed: December 2013
HanoverInn, General Manager at Hanover Inn Dartmouth, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Thank you for sharing your beautiful review and photos of our Hanover Inn. We are so pleased we had the opportunity to welcome you this holiday season and we thank you for taking a moment to share your impressions of our holiday decor and ginger bread village. At the Hanover Inn, we understand that our female travelers' needs may differ greatly from our male travelers’ needs so we couldn't be happier to see that our extra details from our q-tips to our wash cloths made such a big difference in your stay. It was a pleasure to accommodate you and we hope you'll plan another visit soon.

There are newer reviews for Hanover Inn Dartmouth

Reviewed 2 January 2014

The renovations they've made to this Inn are fabulous. It has a very comfy, preppy, and collegiate feel and keeping the New England atmosphere. Great job. Loved everything except, at the Pines (hotel restaurant) we had to deal with James (I'm pretty sure of his name). He is the creepiest and worst bartender I've ever experienced. It was two nights of terrible service by a creepy creepy man.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mcolt
HanoverInn, General Manager at Hanover Inn Dartmouth, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Thank you for sharing your warm remarks regarding the atmosphere of our historic Inn. While we are humbled by your kind words, it is disappointing to learn of your experience in our restaurant. It is our goal to maintain a high level of quality and guest satisfaction and I'd like to apologize on behalf of our staff if we did not meet your standard or ours.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

I wish I could recommend this hotel, as everything seemed like it was going to be excellent for the first few hours. I soon learned, however, that it's a gamble to stay here in winter. My short review is simple: "Great hotel - DO NOT STAY HERE IN WINTER!" My longer review is a bit more complex:

I had reserved a suite - specifically one that was quiet. Upon check-in, we found we'd been put into a fantastic corner room facing the town square, far away from the hotel's elevators. A quiet night was in store. New Hampshire granite accents in the remodeled bathroom were noticed and appreciated. Our dinner at the hotel's new Pine restaurant was fantastic (with granite slabs at modern hearth)! We had an excellent meal, and up until this point, we could not ask for anything better. Five stars. But then it went downhill, and fast.

Once we settled in for the night, we had the same experience with the heating system as the previous reviewer DavidMontreal. The room got way too hot and *really* dry during the 'on' cycle, and then quickly turned too cool once it turned off. This bothered my wife more than it did me, but a short time after we got to sleep, an alarm clock started going off near the window. As I came fully awake, I realized it wasn't an alarm clock at all - it was the BEEP BEEP-ing of snow plows going in reverse.

I'm actually accustomed to this from living in the northeast most of my life, so once I realized what it was, it wasn't that big a deal. But it sure did sound like a whole fleet of trucks. I fell back to sleep eventually, but then the plows came back for more. BEEP, BEEP, BEEP as they go in reverse, and SSSSCRAPE as they push the snow. It took longer for me to fall asleep this next time. And then they came back again. And again.

Near 2am, I finally reached for the phone and called the front desk. After ringing at least ten times, the phone was answered and I was told that the hotel had no control of the situation. Nor could they move us to another room, because all the rooms had similar issues. In the background of this explanation, I could hear the front desk phone ringing over and over, presumably from another guest hoping for some peace and quiet.

If the alarm clock was accurate, it was some time after 4am when I finally fell back asleep for the last time.

We were up and moving for the next leg of our trip at 6:45. When we checked out, I mentioned my sleepless night to the front desk staff, and they commiserated as if they'd heard this complaint on many occasions. And as if they're trained to give this same explanation, they repeated that the hotel has no control over it, and that there are no quiet rooms when the town clears the streets. They did discount my room price by 25 percent, but truly they should be paying us after the torturous night they provided. I thanked them for the discount nonetheless, and moved on to the next order of business - coffee.

I asked if a valet could bring up our car after breakfast, and if there was a place that we could leave our bags until then. They took our bags at the desk, and we went into the adjacent small dining room for a few cups of coffee and some excellent blueberry pancakes. A short time later I went back to the desk and asked if they could please have our car brought up, and I went sleepily back to the dining room in search of a few last drops of caffeine.

In short order, our car was idling out front. We were 30 minutes into the next leg of our trip before I had awakened enough to check the trunk for our bags... no luck. We turned around and called the hotel to make sure they hadn't loaded them into another car, and they were still holding them for us at the desk. I do realize that I own this mistake, but it would not have happened if I'd gotten a half-decent night's sleep, and I would have appreciated it if they'd have been a little more attentive to this for us, since they knew I wasn't operating at 100%.

The fact is that if I'm near Hanover in late spring through early autumn, I'd definitely return here again as a 5-star stay. But next time I'm back in the winter, I'm staying at a Holiday Inn Express.

Room Tip: Don't stay in winter! Snowplows keep you up all night.
Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank BurrNJ

Thank you for providing a detailed review of your recent visit with us. On behalf of our staff, I'd like to extend my heartfelt apologies for the noise disruptions that you had to endure while with us. We understand how important it is for our guests to enjoy a good night's rest and it is unfortunate that this situation was beyond our control. We hope you won't let this singular incident discourage you from booking with us again, as we would like the opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

We stayed for 2 nights just after Christmas. Hanover is a very attractive college town and the Hanover Inn is well located and a short walk to the campus, shops and restaurants. The hotel is excellent with friendly and helpful staff. Coffee was available all day and delicious cookies appeared by the front desk at 4 p.m. Our room was large and comfortable with a good bathroom. We did not eat at the Pine Restaurant but we did have a drink at the bar, which has a great buzz and atmosphere. I am sure we will return to Hanover and when we do we will be sure to stay again at the Hanover Inn.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for choosing our Hanover Inn for your two-night stay. We are touched by your kind words and pleased to see that you enjoyed our snacks and beverages in our lobby. We are looking forward to your return visit and hope you'll have the opportunity to browse our menu at PINE.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

A superb hotel; very clean, courteous, helpful staff. Only complaint is the heating system in the room. Blows warm, and very dry, air which quickly cools down once the fan switches off. Otherwise, this hotel is first class.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for sharing your heartfelt comments regarding our Inn and staff. While we are happy to read your kind remarks, we regret any inconveniences that you experienced with our heating system. We wish we had the opportunity to rectify this concern at the time of your stay and we apologize for any discomfort. We hope you'll visit with us again so we can provide the perfect room accommodations for next time.

Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

Recently remodeled hotel was immaculate and staff was warm, friendly and attentive! Dinner at the hotel restaurant was AMAZING (I had the Duck Papparadelle and it could honestly rival any trattoria in Italy!). We had a great stay and will certainly be back next time we are in Hanover.

• Stayed: December 2013

Thank you for your very generous review. We are truly touched by your kind words and we thank you for sharing your compliments regarding our PINE Restaurant. It is wonderful to know that we were able to provide such a memorable stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hanover Inn.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

My husband and I went to Dartmouth, so the Inn is a part of our "history" and we have fond memories of siting on its front porch facing the Green and rocking on the rocking chairs scattered on the porch. So idillic and peaceful! We have stayed at the Inn so many times and enjoy the relaxed atmosphere, and perfect location. Rooms facing Main Street or the Green are wonderful as you can take in the beautiful of this little college town. While other hotels may crop us, for us the Inn is the number 1 choice of places to stay in Hanover. Some feel it may be a bit expensive for a North Country establishment, however, it sis what it is! I can't imagine anyone not having a pleasant stay. Staff friendly and devoted to guest comfort. Give it a try. You won;t regret it.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for sharing your Hanover Inn story, as it’s always a pleasure to hear from Dartmouth Alumni. It brings us great joy to learn of the fond memories that you have at our Inn and we’re truly pleased to know that we have become your number choice of places to stay in Hanover. We hope you will continue to stay with us in the future, as it would be a pleasure to welcome you back.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hanover
Six South St Hotel
Hampton Inn White River Junction
Hampton Inn White River Junction
#1 of 8 in White River Junction
Holiday Inn Express & Suites White River Junction
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Whi...
#3 of 8 in White River Junction

Been to Hanover Inn Dartmouth? Share your experiences!