All reviews new owners gas fireplace colby hill my husband and i cookies farm to table new hampshire goat carriage house scallops cranberry juice last month look forward delicious food perfect place chef bruce from manchester
Reviewed 29 August 2017 via mobile

Great place to have informal business meeting. Rustic and charming. Historical setting with wonderful hosts. Breakfast and dinner outstanding. Nice location. Not all rooms have TV but found that to be quite nice!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 August 2017 via mobile

I surprised the little lady with a nice romantic dinner date that really turned out to be splendid! Driving north from Bedford (Manch) NH, take the 114N (or 93N to I89) to Henniker.

A lovely drive through rolling hills and quaint villages. Beautiful sunsets!

The Grazing Table is the restaurant on the ground floor of the Cabot Mill Inn. Dress nicely and prepare for a splendid dining experience that cost $110 for the pair of us

We loved the salads : beet and garden.
A large variety of appetizers (mussels, Mediterranean mezza, etc) made for a tough choice. 8 entree choices all looked heavenly. We feasted on the halibut (perfect) and the farm raised smoked 1/2 chicken dishes. I appreciated the recommended glass of wine. 6 dessert choices - the peach/raspberry crisp won out. Warm in a bowl topped with fresh cream!

Service was fast and very friendly.

As we entered the quaint dining area, we were greeted with some heavenly fruit flavored water ... and kept going back for more. A shout out to the bread and goat/herb butter that was to die for!

Highly, highly recommended!!

If visiting from Montreal or Pats Peak, make this a stop if you can! I shall return for sure!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jm2r
Reviewed 21 July 2017

the highlight of our stay was meeting the adorable goats out back while staying overnight to attend a family event nearby. The room was very pleasant and nicely furnished, there were some maintenance issues in the bathroom which we eventually fixed ourselves. the breakfast was fun and tasty and the wait staff extremely helpful and flexible. Lovely grounds, very well kept and tended, nice places to read, also inside there are very relaxing downstairs public rooms.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 July 2017

My husband and I celebrated our third wedding anniversary at the Colby Hill Inn. We stayed from 6/12/17-6/15/17 and purchased a two-night stay voucher from Travelzoo which included two breakfasts and one dinner. We stayed in the Carriage House Suite #2 and had a wonderful time. Here is a breakdown of our thoughts regarding this stay:

The Suite/Pool:

Our room was accompanied with a small sitting area with television, very comfortable Queen size bed, gas fireplace, jetted jacuzzi tub, and bathroom which housed a small shower. The tub came with a epson salt bath bomb and a rubber ducky and the bathroom was equipped with shampoo, conditioner, body bed, body lotion, and soap...all were eco/organically made with the environment in mind. The large closet included a mini fridge food food. Daily snacks are provided in your room as well as water. The first say we got locally made cookies (so yummy) and the second day we got locally made kettle corn (so yummy we bought a big bag on our way home at a local farm). The room is also equipped with a Keurig Coffee maker. The room was carpeted and tiled in the bathroom/tub area. The room was very comfortable in size. temperature was hard to control and there are no individual room temperature controls which made it difficult in light of the fact we travelled during a time that was both hot and cold...day one was hot and day two was very chilly. In particular, the nights get very chilly. We turned the fire place on the second night and the first night we asked the AC to be reduced as it was blasting and made us cold. That being said, you are coming to stay at an older and historic property so things like this come with the territory and we understood that. Our jetted tub did not work and the tiling surrounding it could have used some new grout but as we did not spend too much time in the room it wasn't terribly disappointing...would have been nice though, especially for an anniversary celebration. We informed the Inn at checkout and have no doubt the problem has been taken care of by now. The shower was small (not large enough for two) and did not have a rain head as advertised on the site, which was a tad disappointing, but again we did not come to the Colby Hill Inn for a mere shower. We got a glimpse of the adjoining suite which was more white and somewhat better appeal to us. When we return I would like to request that room. The bathroom also had adequate towels and a hair dryer (forgot to mention that earlier). The best part of the room is the terrace which takes you directly to the pool. You can go to the pool from your room without having to walk the property in your bathing suit. The view was beautiful. The deck was huge and had was a large table with chairs. The table.chairs did need to be cleaned but when you're out in nature nature is bound to make its way onto the furniture so we understand that. The pool is absolutely gorgeous and surrounded by beautiful trees. The innkeepers have a fairly new series of gardens growing all around the pool area in the surrounding grass. It's lovely. The pool goes pretty deep (9 feet) and is beautiful. Because it is surrounded by trees and paved in the exterior with large stones the pool did need to be cleaned...there was quite a bit there at the time. That said, we were not exactly using the pool during typical swimming season as the pool had just recently opened and the water was very cold. We look forward to returning and using the pool again. It's really beautiful.

The Food:

The food is fantastic. Chef Bruce has a wonderful menu. You can tell that they use fresh ingredients in their food. We thoroughly enjoyed both breakfasts and our anniversary dinner. Breakfast offers you fresh juices, coffee and tea. I particularly enjoyed the local pressed cranberry juice. They start you off with a yogurt parfait and muffin duo plate and after all that deliciousness you are then offered a main/hot course. During our first breakfast we had a yogurt parfait with homemade apple-cinnamon granola and an apple muffin...YUMMY. Our second morning was a berry parfait with a blueberry muffin...YUMMY AGAIN. All their granola is homemade. I would have eaten it by the spoonful if they let me. During our first morning we had huevos rancheros and my husband. The eggs were made and served in a small cast iron skillet and served with homemade tortilla chips and an avocado salsa which was surprisingly spicy but very fantastic. The egg yolk really cooled it down. I LOVED it. On the second morning my husband had a yummy and fluffy omelette and I had fluffy banana pancakes which were served with locally made maple syrup. My husband could not understand how the eggs were as flurry as they were lol. All hot entrees are served with smoked bacon or sausage. For dinner my husband had pork shank and I had smoked chicken. Both were delicious but I could hardly touch a bite of my chicken and took 99% of my dinner home because I was so stuffed on bread and appetizers. The bread was served warm, crusty on the outside and soft on the inside with a goat cheese-butter mixture spread that was purely addictive. I absolutely ate too much. We also shared the cheese plate and octopus appetizers. The octopus was very tender...not every chef can cook octopus and bruce clearly does a wonderful job. We finished off the meal with a rhubarb berry crisp and a smores tart. Both were delicious but we were too full to enjoy it all. I can also assure you that the cocktails are strong....too strong for me but certainly they give you your money's worth and don't skimp. The food at the Colby Hill Inn is fantastic. If I could wake up to those eggs and muffins everyday I'd be thrilled.

The Hospitality/Innkeepers:

Bruce and Jeff run a wonderful Inn and their staff is very friendly and kind. Everyone was very friendly. I especially loved meeting their two beautiful dogs. They're both boxer mixes. One is smaller (I feel awful i forgot his name) and the second one, Oliver (a.k.a. "Ollie") was larger but both were super friendly and welcoming. I was taken aback at first sight when I saw Ollie running towards me but it was as if he was smiling...his tail was wagging and he just wanted to say hi. I hope it does not sound too creepy but I wish I got to see more of them. I love dogs and wish I had one (not allowed in my building). I was very happy to learn the boys were a part of the family.

The Property/Grounds:

The property consists of a main house which has a restaurant, meeting/conference room (which can also be used as additional seating for the restaurant), and guest rooms upstairs. There is also a barn being worked on to house events (we snuck a peak and it looks awesome!) and the carriage houses houses two suites and what appears to be at least one room on its second floor. There is a garden area with gazebo that you can see from the restaurant windows. Looking out the windows you can see the beautiful trees which many beautiful local birds visit. The birds are gorgeous. There are also many bird feeders. You can see squirrels and chipmunks compete with the birds for the food. It's so entertaining and beautiful. The property also houses a gorgeous pool (see above) and four really funny and hungry goats. There are free pre-portioned cups of food for the goats available to all guests....you can feed them at any time and they're pretty beautiful goats with funny personalities. I would love to come back once the many gardens have grown in. I saw they recently put in apple trees and pear trees. They already grow radishes and sugar snap peas on property from the gardens.

We would absolutely return to the Colby Hill Inn and look forward to coming back again soon. We hope to return in warmer weather to get better use of the onsite pool and nearby lakes for swimming.

Room Tip: If you like to swim and enjoy a view, splurge for one of the two suites! And make sure to eat the delicious breakfast!
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Fallon O
henniker_NHInnkeep, Owner at Colby Hill Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2017

Thanks for your review. We're glad you had a great stay. As far as I know, there is only one or two of the jets not working in the hot tub - the other 8 or so do work. It's a problem we haven't been able to find the right person to fix since it just happened in June. We'll look closer at the grout immediately - thanks for bringing it to our attention. The rain head shower is in the other suite, but both bathrooms are planned to be renovated in late fall. As new owners, we've had a lot to address in 16 months! Thanks for being so understanding about the little issues.

Reviewed 12 June 2017

Beautiful inside and out. Delicious breakfast. They have 4 goats outside; which you can feed. Lots of fun. My room was very nice with one twin bed and one queen size bed.
The bathroom had a stall shower and eco friendly soap/shampoo. Hair dryer in bathroom. Unfortunately, our toilet did not flush. When we checked with the owner, he told us that the water had been shut off. On our way out to our event, (a wedding), we told the owner about the toilet. It was supposed to be fixed while we were out. He forgot to turn the water back on. We had to do it ourselves.
A great feature was that they had a multi charger for cellphone. They had 2 super chargers; which charged quickly.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family