“Beautiful View of River” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Henniker House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Henniker
Henniker House
Ranked #2 of 2 Henniker B&B and Inns
Long Island, NY
“Beautiful View of River”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights the end of September for a wedding. Very very clean, but getting a little to run down. Needs some work. Sitting outside by river was wonderful had wine and cheese with friends. Breakfast was great, although you have to make decisions when you arrive.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ClaudBG123

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Bethel, Vermont, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

We rented the whole house for a wedding party. It was very convenient to Pat's Peak and Kate and Phil were great. Very accommodating and flexible. They took the time to get to know us and our needs. The rooms were very nice and all had their own bath. The balconies and deck overlook the river. We spent the afternoon after the wedding on the deck and it was very relaxing. It is just a short walk into town and restaurants. I would definitely go back and recommend them to my friends.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Lynn T
Bedford, New Hampshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

I stayed here in May as I was getting married in Henniker on Memorial Day weekend. I wanted to stay somewhere the night before the wedding with my daughter to make it special for her (she is 8). Then, my new husband and I would stay there the second night.

I spoke with Kate and she seemed a bit nervous that I was coming for a wedding. She also wanted to know who would be there, etc. I assured her that i was not a typical bride with 20 bridesmaids who would be in and out of the inn all morning. Our wedding party consisted of us and our kids and we invited 30 people. I was a very low key bride. But, I did have someone coming to do my hair and possibly my photographer would want to come in and take a few shots if time allowed. She said that was fine and to ask them to use the side door closest to my room.

When we arrived we rang the front doorbell and Kate called to us from another door. When we got inside Kate asked my daughter to take off her shoes and leave them in the front hall. I knew that she would request this from the other reviews but it still seems odd for a B&B. Quite frankly it doesn't give you that warm and welcoming feeling and it made going in and out to collect luggage a lot of work. I left my shoes on after the second trip.
That said, the inside is immaculate and the room we stayed in had beautiful wood floors. We stayed in the Pear room and it was HUGE. Great value for the price. The deck off the room had gorgeous views of the river. Unfortunately it was unseasonably cold for Memorial Day (raining too) so we weren't able to enjoy the outdoors. Breakfast was great the next morning and I was happy with my choice of inns. My daughter LOVED it. However, we started getting ready and it took a lot longer than I anticipated. My now husband and his three kids (ages 12, 15 and 17) and our photographer were meeting us at the inn and we were driving to the covered bridge to take pictures. We were meeting at the inn because our photographer wanted to make sure we didn't get lost. Since I was running late and it was so cold my husband rang the doorbell and Kate answered the door and said "I wasn't expecting you" in a very unwelcoming way. She then asked him and the kids to use the other door. Iwasn't expecting to be running late, but I did tell her we were meeting at the inn before going to the covered bridge so she should have been expecting them. Even the kids felt she was rude and unwelcoming. My husband was staying there that night so technically he was a guest and she should have treated him as such.

The house is beautiful and the rooms are a great value, but be prepared to feel not so welcome.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Adrienne C
HennikerHouse, Owner at Henniker House, responded to this review, 25 August 2013
Thank you for the feedback Adrienne. Thank you for rating us of 5 out of 5 on cleanliness and describing the room as immaculate. We appreciate guests who help keep it that way by leaving wet shoes at the door when it rains or snows. Our winter confirmation includes the comment “You're visiting Henniker House during "slipper season" - that wonderful time in New England when we leave our shoes and boots by the door and wear slippers inside. If you have a favorite pair you might want to bring them along, otherwise we have a selection to lend our guests.” Unfortunately Memorial Day weekend this year felt more like March than May.

I apologize for what you felt was unwelcoming when your step-daughters came to the door. I was a bit taken back as a trio of girls started to come through the door. I had no teenage girls on the guest list. I was told to expect a groom so I exclaimed “I’m not expecting you”. What’s missing in the retelling of the story is tone of voice. I sincerely attempted this with humor and a bit of maternal correction that might have prompted the girls to introduce themselves or indicate who they were here to see. As you feel this was rude, I apologize.
Birchington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

We stayed at Henniker House over the 4 July weekend (which also happens to be my husband's birthday!) We stayed in the Canopy room which had an en suite bathroom and private deck overlooking the Contoocook river which was lovely. Kate and Phil who run the B & B are a very nice, friendly and helpful couple who are always ready to offer advice and information on what to do and see. They also provide discounts on some local restaurants and attractions. You are made to feel very welcome in what is really someone else's home and the offer of the fridge to use is very handy. Kate provides a nice breakfast at a time to suit the guests (although very different to what us Brits are used to!) and both her and Phil also join the guests at this time, which makes for a nice homely atmosphere. We both thoroughly enjoyed our stay here which was very relaxing. Prior to our visit Kate kept in touch by email, so we were able to ask any questions about local fireworks etc that we wanted to see. We will make sure that we send Kate some Twiglets which she said she wished she'd thought to ask us to bring!

Room Tip: Only saw the room we stayed in, but the Canopy room was upstairs with two other rooms, and had lovel...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

Obviously, if you're from a big city, ending up in a place like this will charm you, there's nothing like it. The great food served at breakfast, and people you'll meet there, will only improve that feeling.
Very calm area, next to the river but, at the same time, not isolated. So you still have access to everything you need.
Both hosts will make you feel welcome, comfortable, and will make you feel "at-home".
The breakfast area (or lobby of you will) which offers a superb view of the river really won us over. We found ourselves sitting there for a little while after dinner.
We stayed in the Canopee room, which has a balcony with a nice view and I have no complaints about sleep quality. It's an old house, and the imperfections which could be seen as an insatisfaction to some, are part of the charm to me.

I found great value in this Inn and would love to go back when we're in the area again. I would recommend to my relatives in a heartbeat. I tend to think "5 stars" should be reserved for exceptionnal (one in a million) properties, but if there was a 4.5 that's what I would've rated. I had to settle for 4, but don't get me wrong, it's a great property as well as hosts and, unless you have something against respecting other's property (there are a few common sense rules to follow) like you would respect your own house, I can't think anyone would enjoy anything less than a great experience there.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2013

We chose the Henniker House because it was close to where we were going. It was exactly what I expected a New England B&B to be. Kate corresponded with us through email before our arrival. Since we knew we would need slippers to wear while in the house, I just "had to" buy new slippers for me and my husband. It was actually nice taking off our shoes at the front door and putting on our slippers. It gave it that "homey" feeling. And after seeing the carpet in our car, I understand why there is the slipper rule.
We stayed in the River Room which I think was the nicest room. It was very comfortable and pretty quiet. We looked out onto the river.
The town of Henniker is very quaint. There were several great places to eat and it is very easy to drive to nearby towns. Kate and Phil were friendly and accommodating hosts. We enjoyed our stay at the Henniker House.

Room Tip: Their website shows photos of each room and gives a description.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Fairfield County Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2012

We weren't able to stay at the Henniker House as it was a bit far from our destination, however Kate realized this and was very happy to give us wonderful advise and suggestions that would be much more convienient for our travels this time. Kate was just as sweet and kind as could be and we look forward to a stay at the Henniker House in the near future!!

Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Henniker
Centennial Hotel
#1 of 8 in Concord
Courtyard Concord
Courtyard Concord
#5 of 8 in Concord

Been to Henniker House? Share your experiences!