“Been returning every Sept for last 5 years”

Eighteen-Thirty House Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hillsborough
Eighteen-Thirty House Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hillsborough
Portland
“Been returning every Sept for last 5 years”
Reviewed 4 August 2010

This is a quintessential roadside motel - not a chain cookie cutter type, but an honest to goodness independant owner. Yes it is a dated decor, but my room has always been clean. The owner John, is pleasant and accomodating.
I travel here with a group of friends to an reunion that has been going on since 1950. When I was younger, I packed a tent and sleeping bag, but these days I prefer a bed and a bathroom. I have recomended this hotel to others who attend and all have been completly satisfied with their rooms and have been re-booking every year as well.
My only observation would be lighting for the sign - I head back late to the hotel and the roads have no street lights. I have driven past the hotel twice and not known it for serveral minutes. The ages of our group are as young as 2 and go through 72! Some have pulmonary and respitory conditions - no one has had any problems with the condition of the rooms!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
4 Thank PortlandBebe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
MA
Reviewed 13 July 2008

We just stayed at this motel for 2 nights, in order to attend a weekend event. We spent $150 for a room that was not only fithly, moldy, and filled with cobwebs and spiders, but we came away eaten alive by either bedbugs or some other culprit.

Our room had very poor lighting, we needed to go out and purchase toiletries, and the carpet was so dirty I was afraid to walk around barefoot.

The bedding consists of a plastic covered mattress, a couple of cheap flat sheets, and a war torn looking blanket sporting huge holes,so thin you can see through it. The bedspread was disgustingly stained and stunk.

One of our friends staying at the motel went out to purchase a shower curtain to cover the bedding with, so she could sleep without having any contact with the sheets.

The owner/manager seems pleasant enough, but it is obvious this place needs a complete overhaul and deep sanitizing. Old is one thing...but unsanitary and deplorable conditions are something else. We were surprised that no one had shut this place down for health code violations.

My husband and I both left with coughs, rashes, and bites....and would not recommend this place to our worst enemies. If you suffer from health problems of any sort or pulmonary issues, beware...

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — The condition of the rooms shows how little this owner cares for clientele...Big $$, No Value
  • Stayed July 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank abenaki

Travellers are raving about these Hillsborough hotels

Springfield, Ma.
Reviewed 23 May 2008

We have stayed in many Lodging Establishments over the years.This was a Good experience. Our room was clean, simple and to the point, and a very refreshing value in this day of high prices. We enjoyed our stay very much and will Definitely return.

• Liked — Simple and Value. Lake nextdoor.
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank fargo123
New Hampshire
Reviewed 25 January 2008

I found this place linked to website for town of Washington, NH. Took my elderly mom to visit a friend who lives in the country. Seemed ideal since it was very close and mom can't do stairs. Dark unfamiliar roads and windswept rain kept me from leaving to find a better place for our one night stay. First the negative. Room smelled old and musty. Room hadn't been cleaned, everything was covered in dust and bathroom was moldy. Floor sloped down in one corner under ceiling that had water damage. Deadbolt on door didn't work, so I jammed a chair under doorknob for added security. Non-smoking room, but pillows smelled like smoke. Now the positive. TV, heat and hot water worked well, one bed was comfy(one over slanted floor was not). When I expressed my feelings at checkout, owner sincerely apologized and excused conditions for age of property and limited staff.
In daylight and better weather on the ride home, I checked out some other places in the same price range that aren't much farther from Washington. I'm bringing mom to area again in June for a wedding, but won't every again stay at 1830 house.

• Liked — drive up to room
  • Disliked — dirty bathroom
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with family
5 Thank SkittlesMom
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hillsborough
Best Western Concord Inn & Suites
Crotched Mountain Resort & Spa
Henniker Motel
Henniker Motel
#1 of 1 in Henniker

Been to Eighteen-Thirty House Motel? Share your experiences!