“Great breakfast”
Review of Hillsborough Diner

Hillsborough Diner
Ranked #12 of 25 Restaurants in Hillsborough
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Breakfast at the Hillsborough Diner is delicious. The service is fast and friendly and the price is right.

There are newer reviews for Hillsborough Diner

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Friendly staff are available to help you with whatever floats your boat. The soup is homemade, breakfasts are yummy, and their burgers are great. A true diner experience where the locals gather to chat and everyone is made to feel welcome.

1  Thank Ginks03244
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I've driven past this place a couple of times, and on a recent trip to Hillsborough, I decided to stop in. I'm glad I did.

On my first visit, I had a corned beef sandwich on toasted sourdough bread. Very tasty. Actually, the tastiest corned beef I've ever eaten. Onion rings were good, but not the star of the show.

On a breakfast visit, I had an omelet that was very good. Again, the coffee was outstanding.

The place doesn't look like much from the outside. Inside, it's like stepping back in time to a diner of the 1950s. There are several booths along the front windows and counter seating along the length of the interior. A separate dining room was closed when I visited for lunch, but open when I was there for breakfast.

The menu is printed on placemats -- breakfast on one side and lunch/supper on the other. The breakfast menu says they serve breakfast until 11:30 am, but when I was there for lunch at 1:00 pm, the waitress asked me if I wanted breakfast or lunch.

Plenty of parking right in front and alongside the building. When you enter, you must climb three steps. I saw no evidence of a ramp or separate entrance, so if you're on wheels, this might not be the place for you.

Service was prompt and attentive but not overbearing.

I look forward to future visits to Hillsborough so I can enjoy this place again.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

It is a diner you get what you pay for meaning it is diner food which is awesome food great snug little hole in the wall, service is so friendly and always ready to serve quickly, kid friendly great coffee and seafood is fresh, but breakfast is the best we eat here a few morning a week

Reviewed 23 May 2014

We've been driving past Hillsborough Diner (formerly Carons Diner) for decades and yet never stopped in until today. It's a typical diner-type joint - small, cozy, with a row of seats at the counter with booths across, and a small room addition with tables. We were greeted by the very friendly waitress who let us pick a table by a window and set us up with some good strong New England coffee served in real cups with the diner logo. The menu is printed right on the place mat (along with ads from local businesses) - breakfast on one side, lunch and dinner on the other. We were there for breakfast and actually had a hard time choosing what to order from the long list of items offered. My wife had the "Senior Citizen" one egg scrambled, bacon, home fries and English muffin. I selected the "non-Senior Citizen" two eggs over easy, corned beef hash, home fries and English muffin. When the food was brought out it was hot and heaping. I don't know where they get their eggs, but ours must have come from a hundred pound chicken! They were huge and delicious - perfectly cooked. The bacon was crisp - just the way my wife likes it - and the corned beef hash was tasty (the over easy eggs were served on top of the hash) and not greasy at all. The English muffins were slathered with butter and a bowl piled high with different jellies came with them. The waitress was very attentive with coffee refills and the only real problem we had was finishing the huge portions. When the bill came it was for a paltry $16 and some change. As regular Cracker Barrel customers, my wife and I just shook our heads because the diner's food was better, more generous, and a lot cheaper than a comparable meal at the Barrel.
On the social side, the diner is small enough that you overhear lots of neighboring conversation. We found this to be an enjoyable and interesting way to find out all the local news.
We'll go back to the Hillsborough Diner (once we digest this morning's breakfast). We think you'll enjoy it too.