“Helped us in our time of need!”

Cottage Place on Squam Lake
Fremont, New Hampshire
“Helped us in our time of need!”
Reviewed 30 September 2013

To make a long story short, my wife and I were at the lakes region to spend an anniversary get away at our family's cabin near Cottage Place. A miscommunication meant the cabin was occupied by a family member! We left our cabin in search of a place to stay. Our first, and last stop was at Cotten Place. My wife and I rolled into this Inn at about 9PM.

I am a man of modest means, so taking my wife up north, eating at the Common Man in Lincoln, every dime is carefully spent to do my best as a husband, and make my wife feel special for a night. I, however, was in no way thinking I would be spending money on a hotel as well. On this weekend (9/28-9/29), I know rates are high due to the fall foliage.

Luckily, the front desk was staffed, as it was obvious this was a "Mom and Pop" establishment. I think the hours stated the desk is empty at 6PM, but a young lady (I forget her name, sorry!) was there. She got her ear bent with our tale of woe over the loss of our planned lodgings. Without even asking for it, she cut the rate for us almost in half. Trust me, even 100 dollars is an amount I must carefully adjust for in my budget. This was a gracious move made unrequested.

The room was very clean. We got a room, and not a cabin as we didn't need much for just my wife and I. Everything was squared away as it should be. Only odd thing I noticed was no phone in the room. I know, we're weird not having cell phones, but it didn't ruin anything not having one.

Since the room was not booked for the next day, we were also allowed to be lax about check out time. I didn't want to overstay my welcome, so we checked out an hour later than normal, but sleeping in was really nice.

To be honest, it was quaintly romantic to just relax with my wife in a nice room, watching, of all things, Liar Liar on TV sitting on the couch. The property was really quiet (yes there is road noise, but not unexpected), and just helped us in a time where our stress levels were high trying to make last minute plans for our weekend getaway.

The next day, at checkout, we spoke again to the kind woman, and I think her family member? We chatted to the two ladies again about our snafu we had, and again they showed generosity by giving us two mugs free, to remember our stay by. Trust me, it will be remembered. I felt guilty that I truly was at the end of my budget, because the gift shop was loaded with all kinds of touristy New England knick knacks I would have loved to buy.

This property is not the Hilton on Waikiki beach, but it is the epitome of quaint new England flavor and good hospitality. I will be recommending this to any friend and family member I know who's like to stay in the Lakes Region. Clean, classic New England flavor, and a caring staff.

Room Tip: We got a look at the cabins, and they were really nice. A bit more private that way!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Robert H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Just got back from Cottage Place after spending beautiful, relaxing week. If you are looking for five star hotels and five star restaurants, this is not a place, but if you are looking for quiet charm, cozy atmosphere, beautiful lake beach, nice hiking and biking trails and nice little NH towns of Ashland and Holderness (again, no five stars, but excellent New England clam chowder, fish and chips and more.; you can do your own BBQ at the Cottage's ground too and later move few yards to a lounge, i.e. open fire pit surrounded with Adirondack chairs - don't forget your drink), than, this is the place for you. Rooms seem bit out of date, but that's charming actually (they are not 'out of date', you realize after a day or two, it's only a different style) and all is super clean and very well maintained. Sue, the owner, and her staff add a very nice personal touch, they are there for you in their nice, non-intrusive and do-it-with-smile way. I wouldn't expand on the natural beauty of the Lakes or the White Mountains area, about one hour drive to the north (should not be missed). All in all, beautiful vacation, place to remember and to come back definitely.

Ned

p.s.

The only little downturn is the Route 3, passing between the beach and the Cottage's compound, but as Billy Wilder would say: 'Nobody's perfect'. :)

Massachusetts
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We had the most wonderful week...hated to leave. Loved opening our cottage door and walking out to a beautiful beach. We swam every day of our stay; our son loved the floating raft. The view is absolutely beautiful, and it's so peaceful, sitting on the porch, watching the loons "fish" for their lunch. We'll definitely return next summer, and I'm looking forward to a get-away this fall. What a fantastic find!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank whiteseabird
Morris, Connecticut
Reviewed 16 August 2013

We have been vacationing here for many years,,,This year we had 5 of our grandchildren and my daughter also joined us....We rented cabin#3 and suite #5......Plenty of room....We were also joined by 11 more friends......I would not think of going anywhere else for my family/friend vacations....Sue and I have become good friends and I look forward every year to see her....My Grandchildren have been coming since the 17 year old was 18 months old....He still loves it and is also planning on going again next year.....My 13 year old grandson was working on a summer project for freshman year and when we got home he was very upset to discover he had lost the papers..Well Sue found them and I received them in the mail yesterday...THANK YOU so much for that....Sue, have a wonderful rest of the year....See you next year....

Room Tip: If you are looking for AC choose a suite, but we love the cabins...There are always fans available...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

--They take dogs
--Met some nice guests
--Quiet (but see below)
--Super clean bedding

On the not so plus side:

--Motorcycle noise on the weekend is laughably bad
--Unlike most reviewers, I did not get much help or interaction from the front desk. Mostly served by a pretty, nice girl who just looked at me blankly when I asked her questions. Only met the property owner when leaving. My daughter lost her wallet on the property with $200 in it, and everyone seemed very unconcerned
--They seem super money driven. Maybe they have had bad experiences in the past with people not paying, but I am not used to be asked to pay upon checkin, especially after paying half up front so they had all my credit card info
--AC needs replacing; doesn't cool well and filter is very dirty

Mixed bag, not really my cup of tea, but the guests seemed happy.

1 Thank 85HollyA
cottageplace, Owner at Cottage Place on Squam Lake, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to create a review. I am sorry we were not your "cup of tea" but do realize that with the age of our property and the size of our very small staff, we cannot be everything to everyone. We accept that for sure. We strive to be the best we can be. The motor cycle traffic for this particular weekend was heavier than usual but of course, we cannot control that. I am so sorry that you did not know that one of our staff members walked the entire property looking for your daughter's wallet, as well as passing this information to other guests and to me as the owner. We should have made sure that you knew we do care and we were all concerned. It has been our experience, that most guests do find their misplaced items - I hope that this is the case with your daughter.

I would like to explain why we ask for the balances of your stay to be paid at the time of arrival and not at the time of your departure. This is historical done by all small hospitality businesses because when you arrive it is usually in the afternoon after all of our housekeeping is finished and we are in our office at the front desk looking forward to hosting you. When you depart, it is mid-morning and we are all (owner, front desk, housekeepers) trying to get all of the rentals cleaned and ready for the next check in process which usually starts at 12:00 noon whether we are ready or not. We do not have the luxury of a large staff with front desk coverage - we all do everything - so we try to have a system that allows us to process payment while telling you about the area and the property and not have to process payment when we are expected to do laundry and rushing around to get ready for next generation of guests. I do apologize to you if it felt like we are "super money driven" - we are just trying to create systems that work for our family run business with very limited resources.
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We are from the UK and stayed in an upstairs apartment with our six year old son in August 2013 for two nights whilst travelling around New Hampshire. The view was wonderful, the room was clean and comfortable and there were basic kitchen facilities should you want to use them. It was a friendly place to stay with little noise from other guests. The owner and her team were immensely helpful with suggestions of great places to eat nearby ( e.g The Common Man restaurant and Walters Basin) and fun things to do (e.g take a walk up Rattlesnake Mt). We also took out one of the Cottage's kayaks on the lake for a nominal fee of $10 and paddled across the lake which was really fun and crystal clear water for a swim, at the end. Life jackets were readily available and in good condition for my son.

Room Tip: Room six gave a good view, had a double and twin in one room and a double in the lounge
1 Thank Bmdm000
Oneida, New York, United States
Reviewed 4 August 2013

What a find this place was! When they say pet friendly, they mean pet friendly. Not only did we feel welcomed and comfortable, but our 2 weimaraners were as accepted as we were. Absolutely best experience taking our dogs to a beach. It is not often you find a place that allows pets on the beach. The cottages are adorable and supply just about everything you need. We will be back to visit Squam Lake in a few weeks and can't wait!!!

Room Tip: The personal cottages are great! I would recommend the cottages, you have your own porch and "f...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holderness
Squam Lake Inn
White Oak Motel & Cottages
White Oak Motel & Cottages
#1 of 3 in Holderness
Gilcrest Cottages and Motel

Been to Cottage Place on Squam Lake? Share your experiences!