“Don't read the negative!”

Boulders Motel & Cottages
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Holderness
Reviewed 21 October 2013

People need to start thinking before they type! These reviews should be well-though out and honest before they are 'clicked' into cyberspace and could possibly ruin the reputation of something great! This is a MOTEL and COTTAGE-based facility, folks- It is not the Four Seasons in NYC! If you wanted Trump Towers, you should have booked it. There are not many negative things to say about the Boulders motel unless you are comparing apples and oranges. It is a perfect place to stay with your family and to enjoy the beautiful-Squam Lake. No, the rooms would not earn a spot in Conde' Nast Traveler or Spa finder for a reason-it's a motel-and a great one! The staff was very friendly and extremely accommodating and the room was fine. We even had our own private screened porch attached to our room overlooking the lake and the fire-pit area that was BEAUTIFUL...We brought out own wood, but you can buy it there (very inexpensive) and we made S'mores and relaxed until long after dark. There was a separate fire-pit if you wanted privacy, but we brought a guitar and everyone seemed to want to just "hangout", sing along and tell funny stories. The beach was very large and super clean. There were more than enough nice chairs and picnic tables and you could use the canoes at no charge. (they may have had kayaks too...) When you go to a lake folks-It's called CAMP...not the SOHO GRAND! So stop saying how out-dated the furniture or rooms were or that there were no hairdryers in the bathrooms! If you are in the White Mountains you should be hiking, swimming or canoeing-not styling your hair...pack your own dryer if you need one. For the price, it was perfect and a great location! The Coffee Shoppe, which served free continental-style muffins, coffee etc is NOT STARBUCKS but it is FREE people-Grab a coffee and muffin and venture over to a great breakfast spot. There are many great places to eat in the area. So when you are scrolling through these reviews...think about what you want...Family time in a great spot on the lake (just like at camp) or The Ritz Carlton in Boston and then make your choice...(If you can't shower with a plastic shower curtain-pack your fabric one! Geeze! Great time, Lisa-Thanks we had a BLAST!
Heidi Roy

Room Tip: We would love to try a cottage next time, but we were only there for one night. BRING YOUR GUITAR..S...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank HeidiRoy
BouldersMotel2012, Owner at Boulders Motel & Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

Thank you so much for your review. The conviction in your review is appreciated. We have been around a long time, preserving such a rare public area on a well sought after lake (there are investors sworming above to convert our property to yet ANOTHER Condo complex - where owners get to enjoy the beauty and the public has no spot to visit & actually stay ON Golden Pond) it is not an easy task, however we embrace caring for it full heartedly! I truly believe this property is appreciated by those that long for a simpler day and time and wish to preserve it for generations to come. We are proud to be a property for the retro lovers. The metal furniture, hey it's here, sturdy and standing the test of time. The mattresses, pillows, linens and towels are all new, money is constantly being reinvested to keep the property up to a very high standard. We are so thankful for families like you that GET US and what we work so hard to achieve. I hope your family becomes one of our new "lifers" We have families that have been coming to Boulders same, unit, same week for over 50 YEARS! Now their children, grandchildren & even great grandchildren join the weeks gathering on Treasured Squam Lake! We look forward to your return. Thank you for your time!

Reviewed 16 October 2013

The Boulders is definitely an old place, but it has lots of charm. We stayed in room 7 of the motel section. I'll start with the bad...1. After 10-15 minutes of running the shower we had lukewarm water. Hot water would have been nice. 2. Bathroom is very tiny and fitting between the shower stall and the sink to get to the toilet is no easy task. 3. The shower leaked and water ran across the floor in front of the toilet at a pretty good rate. (All this was reported upon checkout) Now for the good....1. Room 7 was on the corner of the building and therefore the screened porch view was a bit better than others. 2. The pillows and beds were very comfy. 3. Lakefront location on little Squam was awesome! 4. Use of Row boats, canoes & kayaks included in the rate. (Definitely do this!) 5. Firepit on the lake was exactly what I was hoping for. (Firewood available in the office for $5 a bundle) 5. The experience & atmosphere was worth all the bad. For that reason I chose a 4 star rating instead of a 3 star. 6. Muffins, coffee and fruit for breakfast with a lake view and the loons calling can not be beat. If you remember 5th grade camp and feeling like the cabins/showers were a bit rough, but at the same time loved every minute of it, then this is the place for you. We loved it!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dreemscometrue

Thank you for your review. Yes, we are a mature property, well cared for but built in a day when simplicity and charm were valued differently. We are fortunate to be located on the shores of Golden Pond, where your time should be spent enjoying our lovely beach & fires at night. The area has much to offer so we are a comfy place to lay your head after an active day on the lake. We do offer cottages as well as suites for those that require more interior space. We hope to have you stay with us again. Thank you for your time, Lisa & Staff

Reviewed 8 October 2013

This Motel is very nice, its like a campground. Nice homey rooms. Nice coffee in the morning with homemade muffins and fruit. Robin and Lisa were very nice and even helped with directions. We could even take a canoe or a kayak out. Had a great view of the lake in which ever room you chose to stay in. I would definitely go back again. Thank you Boulder's!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Patrice A
BouldersMotel2012, Owner at Boulders Motel & Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

Thank you so much for your review of our property. We truly appreciate the time put into it. We hope to see you during your future PSU trips! Take care, The Boulders' Staff

Reviewed 29 August 2013

This is a difficult review to write since the Boulders Motel will not be everyone's cup of tea, but for us, it is a gem. It is a vintage 1950s motel that fronts on Route 3/25, an old, scenic highway in the Squam Lake area. From the road, it is not much to look at. There are several different types of rooms, efficiencies or cottages. They all share a beautiful beachfront location on one of the most unspoiled lakes in New England. We shared a motel room with our grandson for four nights recently. The room was quite small by today's standards. Furnishings were straight out of the '50s with metal double beds, bureau and bedside table, all worn. A large mini-refrigerator was a plus. A small screened porch gave us a good view of the lake and natural air conditioning. (A fan was present, but not needed.) Our bathroom had a small sink and stand up shower. All the furnishings were worn, but clean. We had a problem with the plumbing, but visits from the handyman and eventually a visit from the septic pumping truck solved the issue. The handyman and all the staff were very helpful and responded quickly to our needs. A continental breakfast of muffins and fruit is available each morning. But the best part for us was the great sandy beach, with lounge chairs, hammocks and toys for the kids. Complimentary kayaks, row boat and canoes are available for the guests without a lot of formalities. You simply sign a waver once and then can pick up life jackets and paddles at the carriage house. The charming small town of Holderness is a quick walk as is the excellent Squam Science Center. There is an intimate feeling to this place. We chatted with many guests who have been coming here for decades. And there were young families, too; some who had come as children and were now bringing their own children. We have stayed for years on Lake Winnipesaukee. Each year the hustle, bustle and noise of car and boat traffic has grown. If you are like us and crave peace, quiet and natural beauty, consider the Squam area and the Boulders Motel. We've booked for next summer.

Room Tip: All the rooms have great views of the lake and share the lovely beach.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank nanag
BouldersMotel2012, Owner at Boulders Motel & Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

Thank you very much for your review. A "gem" is how I describe the property as well. We take great pride in working the balance of preserving the nostalgia of the property while trying to upgrade without going too "modern". We live in a very franchise, "out with the old in with the new" time and convincing people that there still are some private owners out there that take pride in what they do and what they offer is a difficult task. Some guests have been coming here for 50+ years and expect the metal furniture to be there to welcome them back. (We actually have guests that "chat" with the furniture as if it's an old friend) We have selected rooms to slightly modernize as we go, we upgraded to queen beds, put in new flooring, added cherry vanities, a small refrigerator, and new porch furniture. I agree, our beach is spectacular! Our screened porches are the treasure of the property, sipping your tea at night listening the the water splashing and the loons cry is amazing. More and more properties are selling out to become private residences/condo complexes, we are trying to preserve the sanctity of this public space on Our Treasured Sqaum Lake. I truly thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others and help them understand what a memorable vacation they could experience with us. Take care, PS Some of the units do have bath tubs in them if that is something you desire in the future, please let me know. Thank you

Reviewed 18 August 2013

We stayed here 2 nights in July and it was hot, but the fan and the open windows made it bearable. We were in Room 19 which has a great view. Love the screened porch. Yes, the property is old, but it is super clean and the sheets and towels were as soft as top hotels. Love the family atmosphere and friendly service. Coffee and morning treats and fruit was perfect for 2 adults and 2 kids. The fridge in the room is a larger size which was great to store our drinks. They offer a jar of water that they add fruit to at the office and often have left over treats set out. We stayed at the chain hotel off the exit the first trip to the area. Boulders is much better for us. The lakefront beach was awesome. There are plenty of chairs, hammocks, and swings to choose your special spot. There are grills and a fire pit aand you can borrow kayaks and canoes too. We will stay here again next summer for our annual trip to the area.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Brooke K
BouldersMotel2012, Owner at Boulders Motel & Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review . You took away from the property, the exact experience we try to share with each and every guest. Thank you for enjoying all of the little details put forth on guests' behalf. Your review solidifies why we continue to operate as Squam Lakes only direct lakefront motel, to share the beauty and charm of Squam Lake with the public. In a society of franchise hotels and gimme the best of everything mentality, it is not an easy task to find those that can still appreciate simplicity..... we believe we have a gem of a property here and are happy when new guests fall in love. Thank you! Take care.

Reviewed 18 August 2013

Tiny room..stayed in #13. Furnishings were old metal tables and metal bureau. Holes in screens letting mosquitos in the room. Every time the room next to us shut their bathroom door or even their bureau drawers we heard it loud and clear. Screaming kids walking past our room at 7am waking us up and to top it off there is NO water pressure in the very small stand up shower.

• Stayed: August 2013
5  Thank casualtravels1
BouldersMotel2012, Owner at Boulders Motel & Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2013

I am sorry our property wasn't a good fit for you. You were here during a very family friendly week. When you asked to only spend the one night, I was contacted and management was authorized to refund your money for the remaining night as we had a waiting list for rooms, you left the property before she could deliver the answer. We checked several times for your returning but you chose to come in after 11pm so we were unable to meet your request. The water pressure was checked and found to be normal, maybe you are used to a city fed system but our well fed pressure has been adequate for guests all season, I am sorry it wasn't suitable to your taste. I appreciate you taking time to share your thoughts & feelings.

Reviewed 16 August 2013

I have been to this motel many times in the distant past and have felt the magic there. However, this time around I must say I was sadly disappointed. The room we stayed in "The Squam Sweet" has gone sour. The actual space was sufficient, but overall it was unclean. On our first night there we couldn't talk lest we got a mouthful of "sewer flies," tiny brown flies that don't bite but seem to be drawn to moisture - and this was inside of the room, not outside. I found that they were coming up from the bathroom sink and shower drain.

I also did not appreciate that the porch was under construction and very unsafe for anyone, adults and children, to be on it or even have access to it. When I had made the reservations I was told that the porch needed a screen and may not be ready, but I was hopeful that it only takes what, an hour or two, to install screening on a porch. I had no idea it was under construction, it not only needed screens, it needed to be constructed fully. What a liability issue (very dangerous).

I really wanted to stay in one of the advertised "Deluxe Queen Rooms," Units 11, 12, 13, 16, 19, 20. When we arrived, I asked to see one of them and the person at the office didn't know what I was talking about. Okay, maybe I was dreaming all this up even though I saw it on the website. So I asked the person who cleans the rooms the following day if any Deluxe Queen rooms were available. She didn't know what I was talking about. Okay.

So now I got on my laptop and went to the Boulders' website and sure enough the above-mentioned units are advertised as "Deluxe Queen Rooms," with photos and description. Maybe it's me and I mistunderstood the website.

I couldn't sleep at night because of the uncomfortable bed, and the flies, which made me very itchy, not from being bitten but just the thought of these insects sharing my space with me. The owner of this property was not there on any of the days we were there.

It got so bad, me and my family left a day early. We just wanted to be home and to sleep in our own beds. As I was checking out, the employee at the office was the nicest thing about the motel. I am sorry I didn't get her name, but she was very nice and very concerned.

Needless to say, we will not be visiting The Boulders any time soon.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank LoisO107

I am truly saddened by this review. The outside deck being screened in was definitely explained and per our phone conversation, acceptable, as it was an improvement project. The guests that left the unit that morning loved dining on it during their stay. As do the folks staying this week love being out there. Unfortunately for last minute reservations, unit selection is limited and renting this unit with porch in progress, was the only choice. While on the property, you were asking for a deluxe queen SUITE which we do not have, that is why no one knew what was being asked of them. We offer suites, cottages & motel rooms however, we have NO queen suites. Being that you were in a suite unit, with a kitchen, livingroom & separate bedroom, no one could imagine you wanted to move to a motel room and give up the space you had therefore they didn't think to offer you a look at the deluxe queen motel room when you were asking for a Suite. The "sewer flies" you report, were unseen by staff members, myself, nor by the current guests. If an issue is brought to the attention of staff, we see to it the issue is addressed promptly - when we find no issue, it is difficult to address. After I was notified of your early departure, I called to discuss your issues. When I told you the Queen Suite was what you were asking for and we don't have queen suites, you said - "That's right, I did" When asked about the bed - you said "the bed wasn't comfortable, but then again, I have a bad back and I didn't sink into it or anything it just wasn't right for me." I wish that's how your review was written. At the end of our conversation you said, "Oh, too bad, I already posted my review, I feel bad - but it's okay, you have alot of good reviews so it'll be fine." It may be fine in time. But a bad review is a bad review, when we strive to meet all guests expectations, and have as much pride in what we offer to our guests, it's taken hard by myself and my staff. Thank you for your time, we all wish you the very best.