“Lovely”
Review of Glen Oaks Inn

Glen Oaks Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Intervale B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 September 2012

We spent our anniversary weekend at the Glen Oaks Inn, choosing to stay Friday through Tuesday. We have been to North Conway many times and have always stayed in hotels but were looking for something a bit more quaint. We reserved one of the cottages and enjoyed the experience immensely. Linda worked with us to modify a package to fit our needs and had many suggestions throughout the stay.
Breakfasts were fabulous and Linda and Mitch both had excellent suggestions for us to explore the area.
We enjoyed the privacy of the cabin, not being typical "bed and breakfast" people but truly enjoyed breakfasts, chess on the porch and the conversations with Mitch and Linda! We will be back.

Room Tip: If you are not typical B&B people, the cottages that they have onsite are private.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank coelnic826

Reviewed 3 August 2012

This was our first B&B getaway. We found Mitch & Linda to be excellent hosts who made us feel welcomed from the getgo. The accommodations were clean and comfortable. The breakfasts were very good. The location is superb and allowed us very easy access to all area attractions. The hominess of the B&B encouraged guests to feel comfortable and interact in conversation. We would recommend this B&B to friends and family seeking a relaxing getaway.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 July 2012

We had a fabulous time at the Glen Oaks Inn. Linda and Mitch were outstanding hosts, and they made us feel very welcome. Our connecting flight into Boston was canceled, which meant that we would be a day late to the inn. No problem - Linda simply pushed our reservation one day to the right, and we were able to stay all four nights. We purchased the White Mountain Experience, which includes a dinner train through the mountains, an excellent dinner at the Thompson House Eatery, a cog train ride to the top of Mount Washington, and a moose tour. Of the four activities, the moose tour was probably the most skippable, as it involves a four and a half hour bus ride looking for moose. Other than that, it was a great experience. Breakfasts were great; two options were offered, and the meals were very good. What made breakfasts especially rememberable were Linda's freshly-made pastries hot out of the oven. She made the best scones I've ever had, and we used to live in England! We were looking for a quaint, quiet bed-and-breakfast in a rustic setting, and that's exactly what we got. The place exceeded our expectations, and hopefully we get an opportunity to visit again in the future!

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ninandave
Reviewed 24 July 2012

My husband and I went for a 2 night get-away to NH using an on-line voucher for the Glen Oaks Inn. Let me start by saying that if you are not into the "bed and breakfast" experience, this is not the place for you. If, however, you want a quiet area, a homey feel, and enjoy meeting and speaking with the owners, this is a nice B&B experience.

I very much enjoyed meeting Mitch and Linda. They were available in the mornings (for breakfast and then afterwards) and in the evening to answer questions on the area, provide advice on where to eat, and suggestions on what to do in the White Mountains. Their restaurant suggestions for dinner were greatly appreciated (we enjoyed both places they mentioned). Because of a change of plans, we had to request an earlier breakfast time for our second morning - Mitch was extremely accommodating and we did not have any trouble switching at all. I truly enjoyed our conversations with them; it is wonderful to speak with people who enjoy what they are doing for a living and love the area they live in.

The area where the Inn is located is very quiet. It is about 1 1/2 miles from Rt 16 which runs through N. Conway in one direction and up to Wildcat and Mt. Washington in the other. It is also close to Rt. 302 through Crawford Notch which has a lot of great hiking.

The Inn itself has a pool, a flat screen TV in one of the downstairs sitting rooms, and a lovely enclosed and screened front porch area that is perfect for reading or playing board games on a summer evening, (the Inn has board games for guest use). Our room was on the third floor and was small, but serviceable. It had a small, private bathroom with no bathtub, only a very small shower stall. We found the room very clean, and it had air conditioning. It also had an excellent ceiling fan above the bed that circulated the air in the room if you wanted to keep the windows open. Our room did have a small television mounted in the corner and visible from the bed - if you are used to large-screened tv's and enjoy watching tv in your room, this would have been a disappointment. We tend to spend very little time in our room on vacations in NH, so this was not an issue for us. The inn-keepers encouraged us to use the porch and common rooms as part of our living space, and had coffee and tea available all day and evening in the breakfast room.

We definitely enjoyed the breakfast at the Inn. The choice of one savory dish and one sweet dish is offered each day. I did notice that some guests substituted fruit for the breakfast meat - I would suggest speaking directly to the owners about your food requirements prior to your stay so that they can be prepared to accomodate you. We were also offered a baked good prior to our hot breakfast - I normally do not eat "goodies" but Linda's warm, white chocolate, raspberry scone was amazing!! It got raves throughout the room!!

Overall, we had a very nice time at the Inn, and I hope that we will visit again in the future.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank relaxabit
Reviewed 21 July 2012

This place has some mixed reviews and I know why. It is what your expection is before hand that can cause disappointment. If you are looking for a super luxury pretentious romantic weekend this may not be the place. But if you are looking for a warm atmosphere and great location. Linda & Mitch provide that. Our room was clean and comfortable and our breakfast was good. I noticed they did listen to former feedback I saw on here and we where offered a lovely yogurt parfait before breakfast. This place made me remember the times I spent with my late grandmother in the White Mountains and I even caught my self shedding a tear at times. The location is great right near Storyland and North Conway. The price seemed a bit much but after doing research it was on par with other properties in the area. We didn't get a chance to swim in the pool but stopped at Echo Lake nearby and it was an amazing experience! I'll be honest with you if you do stay in this area, you will not even consider the pool after seeing all the amazing swimming holes with mountain water or crystal clear lakes!

Room Tip: They run specials though Living Social
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Catherine M
Reviewed 1 July 2012

The positives are that the Inn Keepers/owners were wonderful people. You could tell they were friendly and happy to be there. They were not very sociable but that is okay.
However, we did have many issues with this B&B. Upon arrival, we were greeted by the words "do you have your credit card” I expected this since I read this on another review, so I wasn't bothered by it. Then, we had to show ourselves to our room. I am used to the inn keeper showing me the room to ensure we are "okay" with it. This didn't happen. Instead we were handed a key and sent on our way. Immediately we discovered there was no Bathtub. I didn't expect this. But, what bothered me the most was that there was a very strong smell of urine in the bathroom... We opened the window and shut the bathroom door while turning the air on in the room. I also found it odd that they didn't turn on the ac for us in advance knowing we were coming. The room was really hot and it took a really long time to cool it. After a very long drive we finally went to sleep still warm because the room was still hot. The next day we woke up and took showers. Immediately I noticed that there were small black hairs in the wash clothes. GROSS. I also looked for shampoo and conditioner and only found samples from vendors sent to them. I thought I could make it work, but they never replenished them. Also, all of the towels were torn and falling apart. They also never gave us a replenishment of soap....All and all I was not happy when I left. The "basics" were missed.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
9  Thank amorgan1116
Reviewed 24 June 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Glen Oaks Inn last week and we had such a fantastic time. Neither one of us needs a super fancy place and the Glen Oaks Inn was so comfy and welcoming that within the first day I had started saying "let's go home now" at the end of the day. Mitch and Linda are extremely helpful and when my girlfriend mentioned how excited she was to try Linda's scones (as there were reviews on here that said how tasty they are), Linda made sure to make them the next morning. They were fantastic and I'm going to have to say the best scones I've ever had. Linda is a fantastic baker and Mitch has the magical ability to cook the perfect egg.

We spent our days our in the woods of the White Mountains and shopping on the main street in North Conway, which the inn is very conveniently located to. Mitch also is very knowledgeable about everything in the area; from the restaurants to the popular swimming areas. We wanted to go to a waterfall that we could go swimming at and he suggested Diana's Baths, which was perfect.

The room was small, but who needs a big room unless you are spending your vacation in your room. We were excited about the cable tv and the wifi in our room. We don't even have a tv, so being able to watch whatever we wanted to on cable was fantastic.

Our trip was fantastic and staying at the Glen Oaks Inn certainly added to how great it was. I am already looking forward to our next trip to the White Mountains and our next stay at the Glen Oaks Inn.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bobbi B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Intervale
The Inn at Thorn Hill & Spa
Attitash Grand Summit Hotel
1785 Inn
1785 Inn
#15 of 21 in North Conway

Been to Glen Oaks Inn? Share your experiences!