“Couldn't get out of there fast enough!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Glen Oaks Inn

Glen Oaks Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Intervale B&B and Inns
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Couldn't get out of there fast enough!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

I purchased a two day voucher through Amazon. We were traveling through New Hampshire to see the White Mountains and this seemed liked a great place to stop, plus it was two nights for the price of one, or so I thought. The reviewers about how great the food and rooms are, must not have been in the same place we were. We, too, arrived early and were told we could not come in, room was not ready. We left and returned at the appropriate time. When I signed the guest book, I noticed that they did not appear to have any guests the previous day, so not sure why Linda was so adamant that there were no rooms ready, unless they are only cleaned the day guests are expected. When we finally hauled our luggage through the downstairs and up the stairs we were shown into a room with a view of a brick wall and a very uncomfortable bed. The mattress was so cheap that it squeaked when you moved (this was not the bed springs). They had a quilt on the bed which I put under us and made it alittle less hard, but it was still very uncomfortable. Fortunately I had my pillow with me. My husband was so sick with a cold, he just fell asleep. The shower curtain was torn and someone had just tied a knot in it and rehung it. The next morning our country breakfast consisted of pancakes which were okay and bacon that must have been made the day before and heated up. My husbands hash browns were not freshly made and were a frozen food variety. As for being offered more juice, etc, that didn't happen and as for a sweet roll
(As someone else said was offered) it must have been the bakers day off. We left immediately after breaKfast, knowing we were leaving a second nights lodging "on the table", but we were done with this place. We probably should have said something about the room, but we actually felt sorry for the owners and figured they were just holding on by a thread and needed our money more than we did. Quaint little New England B&B, this was not.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
11 Thank Underwriter44

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

I purchased a Living Social voucher to combine with another Living Social deal at Notchland Inn. The Glen Oaks package came with coupons to use in the area, as well as a map of covered bridges. Before leaving from NY, I called the innkeeper to ask if I could pick up those items a day or two early, since I would be in the area. She rudely barked at me that she could not possibly have the coupons and maps ready for me until I was to redeem the Living Social voucher. That was the first red flag.
After checking out of the lovely Notchland, my husband and I spent the rainy afternoon between checkout and check-in, shopping and having lunch. We arrived at Glen Oaks drenched from the rain and ready for a nap. We lugged our bags through the screen door and walked all around the first floor, looking for an innkeeper or a reception desk. We tried to call the phone number from our cell phone. Meanwhile, my husband noticed a foul odor coming from the hallway bathroom. After about 5 minutes, a very sloppy and cranky woman appeared and asked, in an annoyed tone, if we needed help. When we told her we were there to check in, she scolded us for being early: it was only 3:30 and check-in wasn't until 4:00. Then she scolded us for not ringing the doorbell, which we didn't see, since it was painted white on white. Also, the inside door was open, leaving just the screen door to come through, and we were in a hurry to get out of the driving rain. We were quite taken aback by her nasty attitude and lack of caring or hospitality. She told us that the room wasn't ready yet and then she did offer us coffee or tea.
I indulged in a cup of mediocre, lukewarm coffee and we sat on the front screened-in porch. When my husband and I noticed the crafty sign that said, "Do not talk about yourself. We'll do that after you leave.", we both decided that this was not the kind of place where we wanted to stay. We took our bags and told Linda we would be back at the appropriate check-in time.
However, that first impression was enough to send us running back to the Notchland Inn. I called Living Social and they kindly gave me a full refund for the Glen Oaks voucher. This was my tenth Living Social escape and my first horrific experience with it.
When I called the innkeeper to tell her we would not be returning to check in, she seemed quite surprised and asked if it was just because our room wasn't ready. I told her that because of the lack of hospitality, we decided to make other arrangements.
Stay away from this rude, nasty innkeeper!!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Livingsocialcb
Linda T, Owner at Glen Oaks Inn, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
At 3:30 pm on this day, after cleaning the downstairs bathroom, I rolled the vacuum into the dining room to find this guest wandering around in the Inn. I said: oh, I'm sorry, I didn't hear the bell. She said I didn't ring it. So I mentioned that we would not have known they were there unless they announce themselves. (Which in this case is a large pewter encased doorbell that has a sign on it: Please ring bell.) So then I explained that it's a little early and we are still cleaning. Would they like a cup of coffee or tea and have a seat on the porch, it should just be a few more minutes and as I was in the process of vacuuming. The inn was full and we do our best to have the rooms available at the 4:00 pm check in time (and it states on the confirmation that we are unable to check anyone in earlier that 4:00 pm). If the coffee wasn't hot, I wish you would have said something while you were here. We replenish the coffee and hot water at 4:00 pm each day. As for the sign that they mentioned on the front porch, it was a gift from one of our regular guests. They have been coming to the inn since 2005 and thought it was humorous. Many of our guests have brought us gifts that are displayed throughout the Inn. As far as giving tickets for package amenities to a guest days before they check in, this is not normal procedure as they are dated tickets and cost us money. I sensed that the caller was upset that I could not comply to her wishes. When you book a reservation with us that includes tickets, dinner packages, moose tours, etc, all of those packages begin at the time you become our guest at check in. It's unfortunate that you arrived upset due to this circumstance and the fact that your room was not available earlier than the check in time.
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

It was the vacation i wish i never booked. It was a living social experience which normally have very good luck with. -Not this time- Do not waste your time or money unless you like rodents sharing your room. Yes, thats right plus it was filthy, cob webs everywhere. Well, it went like this i paid $69.00 extra for a cottage which was fine but went down hill fast. When we first approach the cottage it looked fine but then we opened the door to the porch. You encountered a terrible odor, we opened the door to the porch and it got worse we then saw a broom covered in cob webs then a box of paper for the fireplace which had cobwebs covering the top. We opened the door to the room and it appeared neat. But that quickly changed the smell was from the fireplace they never cleaned it out from a previous fire but put a log on top of the ashes which were causing the odor. Then i put my purse on the bureau next to the fireplace which once must have had a mirror on the wall above it. When i noticed it on its side with thick grimy dust on it yuck!. Then i went into the bathroom and saw what i thought were mice droppings, then looked at the window and the blinds were covered with mold all on the bottom. So then i checked the bed upon my husbands request which appeared fine. So then we went out to get our luggage and my husband said i am not bringing my clothes into the room because they will smell so i said fine we left them on a chair out on the porch (cobwebless). When i went to get my purse on the yucky bureau i turned around and saw a CHIPMONK squeaking at me. Thats when i said thats IT we are not staying here. I went to tell the innkeeper about the situation and told her we were leaving and she was shocked and really didnt believe us. She then called to a man to go over and look and he had a terrible attitude and told me oh its only a mouse I said too bad. She offered us another room which we said no thanks. She was unable to get into the cottage to look for herself but asked him if the cottage was dirty he said It wasnt. he obviously was in denial. She then told me she would call living social which she didnt because she also said she didnt make much on this deal Oh well. my advise stay away from Glen Oaks Inn. We went next door to the New England Inn which was absolutely wonderful Gary, Carol and Liz were very accommodating and it was a deal. This experience is making me think twice about groupon and living social. Trip advisor also gave them a decent rating which i hope will change after this or i wont think too much about them either. They must have paid Mrsevilbeetles for her review as well as Meg s

Room Tip: do not go there!
6 Thank Mary G
Linda T, Owner at Glen Oaks Inn, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
The Inn is located on 25 acres of wooded forest. This guest wanted to stay in a cottage on the property even though it is not offered in the package they purchased. After they were in the cottage for about one hour, they came to the Inn and said that a chipmunk was in the cottage. My husband went over immediately to check. He found no chipmunk.
We offered to move the guest to another cottage or a room in the Inn, but she was not interested. I told the guest that we were going to go through the cottage and if I found a chipmunk in the cottage, I would make sure she received a refund. We turned over all the furniture and checked the cottage out completely and there was no chipmunk. All I can say in this incident, is that the guest must have decided they did not want to stay at a B&B and this was their excuse for leaving. A B&B is not for everyone, and people purchasing these discount packages should make sure they are comfortable with the setting before its purchased.
Saint James, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

This was the first bed and breakfast we went to and we were pleasantly surprised. Mitch and Linda were very accommodating and our room was comfortable. We purchased a 2 night stay from amazon and it was well worth it. It was great being able to make a cup of coffee or tea at any time. Breakfast was very good and we certainly would recommend this to others. The nights were quiet and sleeping very restful. We would love to return someday.

Room Tip: I think that any room would be a good choice. We were on the second floor and it was very quiet.
2 Thank Meg S
Linda T, Owner at Glen Oaks Inn, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Thank you for staying with us and for your kind words about the Inn.
Saratoga Springs, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

This was by far the worst Bed & Breakfast experience ever! I purchased a living social deal and called 4 times to make a reservation and emailed twice. When she finally called back, I booked a weekend but she told me that no kids under 6 are allowed. She said and I quote, "This is someone's house, you can bring a baby to someones house. This is a Bed & Breakfast". We have stayed at many Inns in New England (from the Select Registry)and have brought our son with us from the time he was 4 months old to now and he's 1. We've never had an issue. Never had a complaint because he is a very good, happy and quiet baby. I called to cancel as we could not find someone to watch our son. There was a $25 cancel fee. I put in for a refund with Living Social. I am appalled that a Bed & Breakfast was this inconsiderate and unwelcoming!!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Upsetmom931
Linda T, Owner at Glen Oaks Inn, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
We ran a promotion on Livingsocial for 2 people and on the promotion it mentioned that children 6 years and older are welcome and they count as a guest in the room. This guest called to make a reservation and as always I wanted to confirm that there were just two people arriving and she mentioned at that time her 10 month old baby. I explained our policy and even reminded her that it is listed in the promotion that I'm sure she read. She said she would get a babysitter and continued with the reservation. Our B&B is an adult environment and since it is a persons home with rooms to rent, the walls are like being at home and a baby in the middle of the night crying, would wake up the whole house. When I emailed the confirmation she called upset. Evidently she could not find a babysitter and decided to scold me for not allowing children under 6 years of age. She was notified when she purchased the voucher and I again notified her when she was making the reservation. I don't know how to be any more clear.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

First the negatives (because there are always a few) yes the wallpaper was peeling a bit and yes the decor is "old fashioned" but its a B&B built in 1890 what more do you want! This place oozes New England country charm out of every corner! It was exactly what I was expecting physically and I loved every piece from the loud floral wallpaper to the mismatched chairs in the sitting rooms. It was comfortable and welcoming and made me feel as if I was staying in my favorite great aunts house (you know the one who always wears her sundays best while going out and still has proper manners despite the 21st centry!) our room was lovely, no weird dried flowers or lace pillows, just simple clean white wanes coating with green painted wall a nice full size bed with a white bed spread and quilt at the foot. Nothing fancy just comfortable. The TV in the room was a nice surprise as I usually dont see those in a B&B, extra pillows and blanket right in the closet a nice table on each side of the bed with small lamps perfect for my book and glasses before going to bed. And the food oh my goodness the food!!! Mitch buddy you can cook! Every morning we were greeted with fresh coffee and lots of tea options (which were out 24 hours for your enjoyment!! See my picture of coffee bar above) two menu items every morning a true hearty country breakfast as promised! This morning it was a Denver scramble with roast potatoes and toast or blue berry pancakes with ham (uh can we say yummmmm!) and then Miss Linda comes out and offers us a gigantic homemade cinnamon bun hot out of the oven to top the meal off (see my pics above), are you kidding me, how could it get any better!! The whole place was very clean and well organized, with books, games, puzzles and a flat screen TV in the TV room. The screened in porch with fireplace was so comfortable to read in the morning and evening that it made it hard to leave. We didn't use the pool but I did check it out, it was a small kidney shaped pool with clean clear water and nice steps. Plenty if hiking trails outback which I took advantage of for my morning runs, and great inn side parking. Lets not leave out the innkeepers! We were welcomed by Mitch who automatically became just like that uncle everyone loves smiling and joking showing us around and making us feel right at home. He showed us to our room, which had the AC on already to make it comfortable for our arrival and bade us a great night. Now Linda is one of a kind, Those of you complaining about her being rude should really check your own attitudes as she did not seem a bit rude at all even once while we were there, I got the sense that she wouldn't take any crap but neither would I so I liked her right off the bat! While serving breakfast both she and Mitch were available for questions or to grab you more OJ. Needless to say we will be returning and highly recommend this place to anyone and everyone reading, unless you like the feel of giant sterile all the same hotels then go check in to the Comfort Inn and let people like me who enjoy true charm keep gems like this all to ourselves!!!

Stayed July 2014
4 Thank Mrsevilbeetles
North Haven, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

I purchased a voucher for a 2 night stay from amazon local and it was worth it. The owners were very welcoming and helpful. It looked like a New England B&B, it fit the environment,close to downtown and there was plenty to do in the area. The enclosed porch was a great place to relax.The owners were helpful and knew the area well. They both had good personalities and made us feel at home. The homemade breakfast was delicious! Owners were hospitable and knowledgeable. We would go back for sure. Thank you Mitch and Linda.

Room Tip: The main house rooms are all the same style. We stayed in a room at the back of the house opposite t...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank biegae
Also consider these accommodations in or near Intervale
Bartlett Inn
#5 of 12 in Bartlett
Cranmore Inn Bed and Breakfast
Cranmore Inn Bed and Breakfast
#1 of 21 in North Conway

Been to Glen Oaks Inn? Share your experiences!